Notices

Thread: So slow bladerunner

1. Angry So slow bladerunner 
    My kyosho bladerunner is about as fast as I can walk, I have a novak rooster esc, trinity 13 turn sg2, and a 25t pinnion. I run a 3300gp 6 cell batt. I need more speed. I've reprogramed my esc to make sure the throttle is getting as high as it can, but it is still the same. What are you guys with bladerunners running, or any ep boat for that matter?
    Thanks

2 things-
    1: get a better ESC (the rooster is only rated for down to a 15 turn motor), I would reccomend an RC-hydros penguin if you can do water cooling, and a LRP QC2 if you can't.
    2: What prop are you running-that can make a HUGE difference in speed.

Hi Customizer
    Lets start off with your final gear ratio using the 25 tooth pinion you now have. it runs agianst a 43 tooth spur gear giveing a 1.72 to one ratio this drives a overdrive gear setup of a 20tooth pinion to a 16 tooth spur that has a .8to 1 ratio. Multiplied it is 1.372 to one. This is way way too low for this size of boat and hot running motor. You need a much smaller pinion on the motor to let it rev up and be in a usefull rpm range. Something that gives you about 2 to 1 or more would be much better. A prop change could be of great help too. n.h.schmidt

gear ratios don't matter that much (as long as it's not too far away from 1 or 2 to 1), the big issue is prop choice. If the motor isn't revving, then he needs a smaller prop.

There is a very big difference in a 1to 1 ratio and 2 to 1 ratio. If you adjust the final all up ratio on this gerabox to 1 to 1, You will be in very bad shape. No prop would be small eneough to run well with that setup.A boat of this size needs a certian min dia. prop to just get on plane. The convoluted gearbox in this boat is wastefull of the motor power . Probably wasting as much as 10 percent of the motor power just in the gears alone. n.h.schmidt

First of all, I am fairly new to rc boats, however I am not new to rc.
    Second, I am on somewhat of a budget.

n.h.schmidt,
    Would a 20t pinnion be a great of enough change, or too much? Here is the prop I have (stock). Could I use a gearbox from another boat?

Chris LaPanse,
    By "smaller prop" do you mean one with less pitch, or angle of the blades, or less diameter? What prop would be a good decision, metal, plastic, 2, 3, 4 blades?

Thank you

By "smaller prop", I mean a smaller diameter, however, whether you need one or not depends on how the motor is revving to it's full potential. Does it sound like it is coming anywhere close to it's unloaded (out of the water) rpm's while it's running? Is it even planing at all, or is it just cruising along without enough power to even plane? If it isn't planing, then is it able to stay on plane once it gets there (usually by means of a good toss or shove)? Generally, a 2 blade prop is the best choice, simply because there are so many options, however, for your motor and gear ratio, 42mm sounds way too big.
    Last edited by Chris LaPanse; 08-22-2004 at 06:42 PM. Reason: i can't type

Its pretty much just putting along, not seemingly anywhere near getting out of the water I'll try a 20t, hopefuly tommrow. I had been useing a 7 cell, 1900 battery which, I think, has lost its punch, it used to plane with that, I try out that when I try the 20t. The sg2 is pretty old also, which motor do you run in your boat?

This post may seem mixed and matched, that would be because of useing the "cut" and "paste" buttons to much.

Thanks,
    Customizer

well, I have a Carribean cruiser hull that I am powering with 2 Traxxas Titan Marines on 14 cells, but that is a little different class of boat. I am using a x642 (42mm diameter) on a 1.6 to 1 gear ratio. That is why I said a 42mm prop seemed too big for a single 540 motor on that gear ratio. A good prop would probably help your speed significantly. One good source of these is Offshore Electrics. (www.offshoreelectrics.com)

Customizer
    The 20t is going in the right direction. Is it the orginal one that came with the boat? That will give you about 1.7 to 1. A 18t will be a little over 1.9 to 1. Much better and will still fit and adjust well. A 17T will be a little over 2 to 1. This is even better.It may require fileing the screw slots a little to allow the motor to get closer. These gears are RC car gears and can be bought at any hobby shop .Prices are at about $3.50 for many of them. I do not have this boat. I do have the gearbox from one .Thats how I know about the gears in it. n.h.schmidt

i bet ur esc is fried.... in that little radio box of the bladerunners, the esc wont get enough cooling and you are over the turn limit of the esc....

get a water cooled esc and i bet u will be going alot faster

I guess I'll be ordering a 17t and mabey a 16t also, the 20t was what came with the boat, I will also check out offshoreeletrics web site. I havent got they money for a new esc, mabey later this year though. I will try to fit an eletric fan into the box, or servo tape the esc somewhere on the inside of the hull.
    Thanks

That 13turn SG is NOT unwinding!,,, It's too much boat size, & weight!,,, and I would bet that rooster is being overloaded & sucking up all the energy, to turn into heat, not power. You need a Titan motor, or a Monster Maxx motor, with Torque, if not a 700bb motor on 12cells,,, put the microswitch back in first, to regain your power loss.

Unfortunately, the Kyosho Bladerunner is well known as a dog in stock kit form. This applies to both straightline speed and handling.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you read this very good article on modifying the Bladerunner written by one of the well-known "experts" in the sport/hobby.

http://www.fastelectrics.com/bladerunner.htm

Doug Forrester
    Forresterace Designs

Thanks for that article, forresterace. I think I'm going to do what that guy did, but it will have to wait until later in the year.

16. slow bladerunner 
    Got one in my rafters in basement,LOL! Don't waste you're money any more on that ITEM! Now if you have piles of money, be my guest! They don't turn unless you have a square mile to turn and like MikDee said 700bb-8.4 and 12-3300 cells, 440 prop . ESC, well Andy Kunz retired ( Rc-hydros Esc's ), so Rumrunner has a Sc8 for $75.00 ( esc ) is your best bet. For the boat , junk the whole interior, put .75 fiberglass sheet in the whole lenght to make it stronger. now the time you have spent on this unit, you could have bought another good boat and would be on or in the water already and a LOT LESS EXPENSIVE! My 2 scoops of barnyard manure!!!

Where do you get that he retired? His site is still up.

18. slow bladeruner 
    Andy told me it felt good to come home and not have to make escs after work. I know of sites that are still up like fastelectrics in Australia who went belly-up 1 1/2 years ago and are still up and why i don't know. Well, good-bye and good luck!

www.fastelectrcs is continuing. As soon a several financial issues are settled with the busness ten we will be trading

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer
    My kyosho bladerunner is about as fast as I can walk, I have a novak rooster esc, trinity 13 turn sg2, and a 25t pinnion. I run a 3300gp 6 cell batt. I need more speed. I've reprogramed my esc to make sure the throttle is getting as high as it can, but it is still the same. What are you guys with bladerunners running, or any ep boat for that matter?
    Thanks
    hello there your best bet would b to scrap the gear box and make it direct drive and lower the prop about 2 to 3 mill lower in the water this is wat i did to mine i run 7 2000 cells i run a 17turn motor and get 3 to 5min run time and a speed of about 25 mph

21. Cool  
    Just to set the record straight, Andy has just introduced a new ESC line, the Victory. He is NOT out of business by any means, and is selling the new controllers right now on http://www.rc-hydros.com.

Folks, stating that someone is out of business on a public site when they are not, is hardly fair to a vendor who has been a strong supporter of this hobby, and it could lose him customers. Please, make sure of any such claims before you post them!
    Last edited by Fluid; 02-28-2005 at 08:45 AM.

ain't that the truth . i would've had one of andy's speed controls a long time ago had i not heard that rumor. luckily i found out that it wasn't true and now i have my nice new victory 6-14 esc

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid
    Just to set the record straight, Andy has just introduced a new ESC line, the Victory. He is NOT out of business by any means, and is selling the new controllers right now on http://www.rc-hydros.com.

Folks, stating that someone is out of business on a public site when they are not, is hardly fair to a vendor who has been a strong supporter of this hobby, and it could lose him customers. Please, make sure of any such claims before you post them!
    hello there y have i just recived an email from yourself making accusations against me

24. Cool  
    Deano, I did not send you, or anyone else on this board, an e-mail. If you got an e-mail, it was not from me.

I did respond to a post in which "DLM" stated that rc-hydros was out of business. That is simply not true, and I requested - I even said "please" - that in the future everyone check the facts before posting that a company is out of business. Repeating rumors costs the company sales and is just not right to do, even if it was an honest mistake.

By the way, I made no "accusations" about you - no one was mentioned in my post. Feeling guilty?

DLM also stated that fastelectrics.com was out too! i came across their site one day and saw that they were in fact...still in the game. that made me curious and i went to see if rc-hydro's was still going. but DLM has been banned, as i just noticed. so i guess he'll have a hard time seeing that he was wrong. no offense to the guy, but the attitude had to go.