Notices

Thread: IFMAR 1/10 IC Fuel On-Road World Championships

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Damn...That was more like a massacre with 8 RRR's in the top 10. It would have been a little more interesting if Hara and the R40 were there.

Quote Originally Posted by andhy
    for more.. look at www.tq-racing.com
    Great job Andy.

For mug shots look at http://3hobby.com

Looks like it was more than a massacre ... it was ethnic cleansing!

10 - Saturday

Saturday started off with gray skies with occasional patches of blue. The only thing good about the weather report was that the 80% chance of rain was better than Sundayīs 90% chance. Who knows, maybe we might get lucky...

When we got to the track it was soaked (no surprise), but the skies were only partly cloudy and with a little help from the sun the track started to dry off. The schedule called for racing to start at 9am, weather permitting. The local TV station was already here, and set up a broadcast truck to beam the television feed off to the station for live coverage.

As this is being written, at 9am, who knows how the event will turn out. An hour is a long time to race, especially for these 200mm touring cars. We have the top four positions filled in the Final (Bertin, Tironi, Cyrul, Shimo) an the ret of the field will need to advance from the lower finals. One thing is for sure - whatever car wins at this track is going to be the most-wanted car for anyone racing in the 200mm class! (If it wins on Sunday, it sells on Monday.) Of couse, this is really Saturday...

One of the interesting things about this event is that there isnīt really anything "new" in way of cars and engnes. Rather, it is seeing the existing designs refined and enhanced. Mugen does have a new car in the works, but it isnīt expected to be available until some time next year. Serpent is racing the S710, with only some minor new parts. The team cars are quite stock. Even the Kyosho V-One-RRR is based on their previous model (but has numerous changes to provide additional adjustment and to improve the handling). Of course, they also have their shaft drive car, but the latest belt drive design has proven to be faster. (There seems to be an ongoing race between the Kyosho belt-drive design team and the shaft-drive design team to out-do each other!) The OFNA car looks quite good, but will any of their drivers be able to run with the fastest racers in the world in this class? We will see...

1/4 FINALS
    The track dried off, everyone got organized, the sun came out, and we were ready to go racing! The B 1/4 Final started at 9:45 under (temporarily?) sunny skies. It was a nice start, but after one lap Paulo Morganti got tangled up in traffic, spun around, and was quickly way back in the pack. The running order was Flavio Elias, Mark Green, Mauricio Busnardo, and Mikey Swauger. Flavio got into a crash with a lapped car and had to be brought to the pits for repairs. Shortly after that, Mike Swauger got into a wreck with another car. His body got pushed in, and the car wouldnīt move. The turn marshal was trying to stop the engine by closing off the stinger when a track official came running over, took the car, fixed the body, and put Mikey back on the track. The incident put Mikey way back, but not nearly as much as if the turn marshal had shut off his engine. The order was Mark, Darin Ishitani, Mauricio, Flavio, and Paolo. Mikey was driving like his life depended on it, and quickly got by Mauricio. It was soon Mark out front, with Mikey battling with Flavio. Mauricio later on told me that the other cars had more traction, and he was really struggling to keep up. When he saw Mikey coming up on him, he knew that Mikey was faster and would get by. When time ran out, Mark won with 61 laps, Mikey got second with 60, and Flavio finished in third, also with 60 laps. They would all advance into the B Semi-Final.

After a short break, we started the A 1/4 Final. By this time the sun had come out, it was getting hot, and the skies were a perfect Kodak-blue. There wa a slight delay in starting this race due to a transponder problem, but that was quickly sorted out. Steve Olanier in car #1 flamed out at the start, and had to start from the pits. The initial running order was Fabio Domanin, Teddy Syach, Reto Koenig, and Carlos Peracho Heras. It was obvious who the crowd was rooting for - Teddy! Whenever he did something particularly good, everyone started yelling and cheering him on! Fabio meanwhile was having problems, flaming out a couple of times. Carlos quickly moved into the lead, and the running order was Carlos, Niki Duina, Teddy, and Steve Olanier. They traded places a few times. Steve and Niki were soon fighting over second, but while this was going on, Teddy was gaining on both of them. With a couple of minutes to go, Teddy made a pass and got up to third spot, but then spun out and had to do it all over again. With a minute to go, Teddy clearly had the faster car. He caught up and took over the third bump-up spot, leaving Steve behind. So, the cars that advanced to the Semi-Final were Carlos (61 laps), Niki (also 61) and Teddy (60).

After the Quarter-Finals there was a long break. The top four cars had a full hour of practice and test time. As I saw it, that meant I had an hour-long photo session to try to get the best possible close-ups of each of them! The practice session gave the rest of us some free time, but it was soon time to get back to racing.

SEMI FINALS
    The B Semi-Final had a clean start for the cars near the front, but it was a mess in the back half of the field. Takuya Ito had the lead at the start, but Mark Pavidis was soon out front. Mark had to make a lengthy pit stop, and Takuya took back the lead, followed by Craig Drescher, Mikey Swauger, and Mark Green. Around nine minutes into the half-hour race, the order was Craig, Takuya, Mikey, and Mark Green. Mark Pavidis flamed out, and Takuya had problems. Mikey was soon in the lead, with Mark Green trying to catch him, followed by Craig. Mikey pitted, and spun out coming out of the pits, but quickly recovered. Mark Green took over the lead, with Mikey in second, and Craig in third. The race was a little more than half over. Mikey tangled with a lapped car, but recovered without losing too much time. However, Mikeyīs car just didnīt seem to be as fast as it had earlier. With nine minutes left, the order was Mark, Craig, and Mikey, with Flavio just a little further back. Several cars had problems and came into the pits. Mikeyīs car looked like it flamed out, and it too had to be brought back to the pits. Then Craig had problems, and it was back to the pits for him too. Mikeyīs car wouldnīt keep going - we later on found out it was a broken throttle servo. Craig was out as well. With four minutes to go, the order was now Mark Green, Chris Tosolini, and Flavio. Flavio got a "stop-and-go" penalty with under two minutes to go, which put Amaud Chaussard into third, out of reach of Flavio. Thatīs how the race ended, with Mark going 93 laps, Chris going 92, and Amaud going 90. The top two cars (Mark and Chris) would advance to the Final. Amoud might advance, unless the third and fourth place cars in the A Semi-Final were both faster than his time, in which case he was done and the four cars from the A Semi advanced into the Final. Speaking of advancing, Mark Green deserves special attention here! Mark started out in the 1/32 final, and advanced all the way to the Final! He raced in the rain, he raced in the dry, and he maybe had the best performing Serpent at the event! We would soon find out.

The A Semi-Final was now up. Niki Duina broke one of the first rules of racing - do not break your car in warm-up. He had some repairs to do. Michael Salven also had problems, and asked for a ten-minute time to fix his car. Michael, his pitman, and Rene all started working on the car, trying to get it finished in the allowed time. They finished with a minute or so to spare, but Michael now had to start from the 11th spot on the grid, rather than his #4 spot. The race started, and it looked like a David Spahett show from the beginning. Dave was way out front, building up his lead. He was followed by Barry Baker, Michael Salven, and Ken Furukawa. Michael and Barry got together in a turn, and Michael got the better end of the deal, leaving Barry behind. Ken Furukawa then came up to pass Michael, and they too got into a tangle, with Ken getting the worst of it. He had a lot of ground to make up to catch up to Michael again. The running order was now Dave, Michael, and Teddy. This is where it really gets interesting... Here is Michael Salven, one of the worldīs fastest on-road fuel racers, and this completely un-known (to me) driver is catching up to him, and fast. So who is Teddy? Whether any of us knew him or not made no difference, he wanted to get by Michael, and right now! He did, too, with Michaelīs car ending up in the grass. Dave had a problem, and dropped back, but was quickly working his way back to the front. Teddy was leading, with both Dave and Michael coming up on him. Teddy went wide to give Dave room to pass (it was obvious Dave was quicker than Teddy) but with Michael trying to catch him, Teddy just went faster. With 15 minutes to go, it was Dave, Teddy, Michael. Michael did go by, and with ten minutes left in the race, Michael was in second, with Teddy back a little, but Teddy just pushed a bit harder and was soon up with Michael trying to go by. The crowd loved it - everytime Teddy closed in on Michael, they yelled, and when Teddy passed Michael they yelled even louder! With seven and a half minutes left Dave led, then Teddy, then Michael. Michael got by Teddy, but then took a turn a bit too tight, went through the dirt a bit, and Teddy got by once more. The race ended with David getting 95 laps, Teddy doing 94, and Michael also doing 94. The crowd in the grandstands was going wild, and I figured I needed to find out who this Teddy person was. It turns out he is a rather famous television person in Asia, with lots of websites talking about him... Unfortunately, I canīt read them, as they are all in Indonesian!

THE FINALS
    So, we now had a nice long break to allow all the drivers in the Final to get ready. Finals were to start at 3:00pm. The starting order for the Final would be:
    Adrien Bertin - Kyosho
    Francesco Tironi - Kyosho
    Josh Cyrul - Kyosho
    Takaaki Shimo - Kyosho
    David Spashett - Kyosho
    Teddy Syach - Kyosho
    Michael Salven - Serpent
    Ken Furukawa - Kyosho
    Mark Green - Serpent
    Chris Tosolini - Kyosho

After driver introductions, warm-up, and a practice start for each driver, we were ready for the big one. I think the news of this race must have spread all through Jundiai, as not only were the grandstands packed, so was every available inch of fencing surrounding the track. Iīve never seen this many spectators at an r/c car race before! The race was on!

Adrien Bertin took off in the lead. Francesco Tironi was second, but had a problem on lap #5 and dropped back to last. Eight minutes in, on lap #17 Josh Cyrul, who had been shadowing Adrien, went by, and now it was Adrienīs turn to play shadow. The order was now Josh, Adrien, and Takaaki Shimo. About 11 minutes in, Michael Salven had a problem, and his car went flyng quite high up in the air. Chris Tosolini meanwhile had worked his way back up to the front, and went by Takaaki to take over third place. By 17 minutes in, Adrien had re-taken the lead, with Josh a short distance back, followed by Chris. Josh closed the gap, and got by Adrien. It was now 22 minutes into the hour-long race. Takaaki dropped back a bit, and the order became Josh, Adrien, Chris, and David Spashett. Teddy "Cinderella" Syach had a problem on lap #45 - Chrisīcar did something unexpected, and Teddyīs car hit him. It didnīt hurt Chris, but the rear pulley on Teddyīs car was damaged, and he had to come in for very lengthy repairs. (I was told that the Kyosho team nick-named Teddy "Cinderella" as they had all their official "team cars" in the Final, and here they got one bonus car into the final, driven by a privateer!!) Half way through the race, many of the cars came in for a tire change. Takaaki didnīt plan on changing tires though, so the new question would be whether Takaakiīs saving the time for a tire change would give him an advantage over the others. About this time Michael started having problems. He spun out once, and then flamed out on the back straight. After that, he also got a "stop-and-go" penalty. Shortly after Michaelīs trouble, Josh also had problems, with his car being carried back to the pits. It turns out that both Josh and David had the same problem during this race, with the pressure line coming off. With 39 minutes into the race, the running order was Takaaki, Chris, and Adrien. Takaaki was fast, but Adrien, after his tire change, was faster yet, and quickly was closing in on Chris and Takaaki. By 44 minutes into the race, Adrien was in the lead, followed by Takaaki and Chris. Ken Furukawa was in 4th, ready to take over a podium spot if anything happened to one of the leaders. However, the remainder of the event was rather un-eventful, with everyone playing "follow the leader". The only racer who could run with Adrien was Josh, and while he did get by Ken, he was six laps down from Adrien, with no chance whatever to catch up. Thatīs how the race ended...

1 Adrien Bertin 190 laps
    2 Takaaki Shimo 188 laps
    3 Chris Tosolini 185 laps
    4 Josh Cyrul 184 laps
    5 Ken Furukawa 184 laps
    6 Mark Green 183 laps
    7 Francesco Tironi 182 laps
    8 David Spashett 179 laps
    9 Michael Salven 167 laps
    10 Teddy Syach 124 laps

I did not say it during practice, and I tried not to say it during qualifying, but now I guess itīs appropriate... It was nothing short of total domination by the Kyosho/Sirio team! They had eight of the top ten cars in qualifying, and after the bump-up process had sorted itself out, they had eight of their cars in the Final... and finished 1, 2, 3, 4, 5! Itīs a job well done!!!!

When everything was over, I asked Adrien for his thoughts about the race. "I think it was a nice competition, a real competition, as all the factories and the best drivers were here. This gives a real credit to the title. I am very proud about the work of our team; I want to cheer all the work done by my team mates, and I have a special vote for Josh. I think if I ever lose a title in the future, I hope it will be to Josh, because he is for sure one of the best in the world. And I am very proud of our performance for Kyosho and Sirio."

I asked Adrien if there was anything special about the race he might want to say. "I did not expect that Shimo would not change tires. But then, I pushed, and was sure I could be much faster. I knew our qualifying tires were 4 tenths faster per lap, so I could catch him easily. They also help save the engine." (As far as I know, on the Kyosho/Sirio team, only Shimo did not change tires.)

Well, the race is over, and it was a fantastic event! The group from Jundiai that put on the event did a superb job! There were certainly a lot of difficulties that they had to overcome, but in the end, it all worked out wonderfully! The track was certainly challenging, as a World Championship track should be. the facilities were first rate. Everything happened reasonably well, and despite having to deal with some horrible weather mid-week (this is the fist time I have ever experienced racing in the rain!), in the end it was a real winner! They should also get an A+ for maybe the very best public address system of any race I have ever been to. You could hear the speakers from anyplace around the track. I do not think that anyone is going to forget this event for a long, LONG time!
    Last edited by Mike; 10-17-2004 at 11:00 AM.

What a race!

Great race coverage It always seems that when you move the worlds to another country, some guy wins that we [or atleast I lol] have never heard of. 200 mm worlds,1/8 buggy worlds

Quote Originally Posted by losiguy1090
    Great race coverage It always seems that when you move the worlds to another country, some guy wins that we [or atleast I lol] have never heard of. 200 mm worlds,1/8 buggy worlds
    adrien bertin is a former 1/8 onroad world champion what a re talking about i think he won in 99 i am not sure but regardless he is a well known driver.

Thanks for the great coverage Mike!!

Cheers
    Nigel

Mark Green
    Attached Images

Teddy Syach
    Attached Images

The start of the Final
    Attached Images

The Final, first lap
    Attached Images

More action, first lap of Final
    Attached Images

A few feet further down the track...
    Attached Images

The driverīs stand was full of red Kyosho shirts - eight of the ten cars were Kyosho!
    Attached Images

Josh Cyrul and Adrien Bertin fought back and forth for the lead for the first half of the race. Here Josh is leading, but they were constantly passing each other.
    Attached Images

Michael Salven, ahead of Francesco Tironi
    Attached Images

Chris Tosolini
    Attached Images

Josh Cyrul heading down the back straight, in front of the huge crowd watching the race.
    Attached Images

Michael Salven in the sweeper
    Attached Images

the track
    Attached Images

Track Officials watching the race
    Attached Images

Itīs over - Adrien Bertin wins the World Championship!
    Attached Images

Takaaki Shimo, Adrien Bertin, Chris Tosolini
    Attached Images

Adrien Bertin and Josh Cyrul
    Attached Images

Adrien, reviewing his lap times
    Attached Images