Notices

Thread: Vintage 1/12 forum

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Vintage 1/12 forum 
    Hi,

I didn't see a thread on this so I thought I would start one. Some of you will say go to the 1/12 forum but that is for all 1/12 in general. This is for all the oldies but goodies. So post here if you have:

Kyosho
    Kawada
    AYK
    Tamiya
    ABC
    Delta
    TRC
    MRP
    Old Assoc before RC12L
    Anything before re-active caster.

Just a little about my collection; I have mostly Kyosho 1/12s (Plazma, Fantom, Axis EX), I also have AYK (Cyclone), and I recently picked up a Hirobo (Ashura). I'm mostly interested in the 4WD types (Not Minis)

So I hope to hear from some of you guys soon. I you guys are out there because I've bidded against many of you on E-bay for vintage parts.

What about the nissan GT-1 .049? I forgot who built the car, Cox?

It was sweet! I wish I baught one, only $120!

Yr4 Dude-

I hate you!!! Just kidding I've been trying to find a Hirobo Ashura for what seems like forever! You don't want to sell it do you? Just name your price

Good to see you've got the Kyosho 1/12th, do you have the 4wd Fantom or the normal version? AYK made a 4wd 1/12 too but I can't remember the name.

I'm a little bit obsessed with getting those 4wd cars, I don't understand why they stopped developing them, with todays cells and motors, having 4wd would be an advantage.

Post some pics if you can

4. The Kit that got me started... 
    Got my first kit back in 1983, but not the first R/C I've ever had. The very ''RARE'' 1978 Otaki Corvette Stingray, still runs good today with original 380 motor and wiper speed control, but not the original tires and rims.
    Attached Images

5. Old meets New... 
    Load'em up... Sorry, I know the King Haulers not 1/12 vintage but it's a cool pic.
    Attached Images

6. Otaki chassis 
    The Corvette chassis.
    Attached Images

Hey guys...

Do you remember that 1/12th scale awd car that Kawada build back in 98/99? It was fully decked out with bearings, front and rear ball diffs, etc. Damn that thing was hot back then...

What was that car called?

I didn't know that Kawada were still making 4wds as late as 99!

I found a picture of one of their really old 4wds, the Wolf, I wonder how old it is:

Wow!!! Its great to hear from all of you!
    toyman - Great pics!!

sidemotion - You're right Kawada did have a 4wd car back in '99. Its an updated version of the Wolf that relayer has a pic of. I remember it was on sale at Tower for $160.

relayer - I am an avid collector of Kyosho 1/12s I have both the Plazma and the Fantom. Depending on my budget I would pick up a few on E-bay. I just recently lost an auction on an Ashura just weeks ago on Ebay. It sold for $152. Anyways, no I am not interested in selling my Ashura, and if you found out how much I paid for it plus all the extra Kyosho goodies it came with, you would hate me even more!

Anyways, I'll try to post some pics of my collection but if any of you out there have some please post some as well. I know there are a lot of you guys out there who have an interest in vintage 1/12's so lets talk. I only know you by your E-bay names; Warspeedbatteries, clinehobbies, just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by YR4Dude
    Wow!!! Its great to hear from all of you!
    I just recently lost an auction on an Ashura just weeks ago on Ebay. It sold for $152. Anyways, no I am not interested in selling my Ashura, and if you found out how much I paid for it plus all the extra Kyosho goodies it came with, you would hate me even more!
    I was going to bid on that same auction, I wouldv'e payed almost anything for that Ashura, but i woke up late and it had just finished

Even more annoying was the fact that the winner was barrypops, who is a member of the Vintage Tamiya club - he has the best collection of rare NIB r/c cars you'll ever see, and he always seems to beat me (and others) in the auctions - every rare car that I want, well he's got it, and usually more than one

I have to hold off buying any more rare cars until my house is built and I've bought the stuff I need for racing, but after that.... I'm going shopping

relayer - just keep searching, you might get lucky one day. I might compete with you on the next one or I may just let it go. Its time for me to keep the wife happy. Lately, I've spent a little too much on nitro stuff and parts for my KX's and TF4s.

As soon as I have a chance, I'll try to post a pic of my Kyosho Axis EX. So far there hasn't been much talk about this full option1/12 from Kyosho. If any of you out there have one, post a pic or talk about it. Also, plenty of you out there have Kawada 1/12 2wd, please come forward and post here.

Question for those with Kawada's - is the diff and axle running on a metric size bearing or does it use standard Assoc. sized axles? If it is metric, does anyone know where I can get Kawada 1/12 parts?

I am trying to convert one of my Plazmas to a ball diff. It uses a 5mm axle. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know it this is possible to do and still keep the original Kyosho wheel?

Have you tried using tamiya diff parts/axle to convert the plazma. The old tamiya F1's, pan cars etc used 5mm axles, so it may be possible to use the parts from one of their F1's. The only problems I could see is that the axles might be too wide for a 1/12th and the wheel mounting system mightn't be the same.

I was just thinking of another very rare 1/12 called the Cosmic. it came out in the mid-late 80's and was made by Mugen (yes they made 1/12 circuit and 1/10 buggies long before gas cars )

I remember it because they did really well in here in Australia for a while and they came out with a little monoshock front end kit, plus it was quite a unique design with a sort of box monocoque chassis.

Here's the kit:

Wow, I've never seen that one before. Is that yours or is it a pic you snatched off the net? I think you might be holding back on us, relayer.

Anyways, I've considered the F1's diff before. The problem with it is that the diff thrust bearing assembly is inside the wheel. So when you disassemble the wheel you disassemble the diff. What I was hoping for is for a thrust bearing assembly to be inside the hub so that changing wheels would not change your diff setting. Assoc has it on their newer 1/12s except they are not metric. Just wondering if Kawada has a hub like that in metric?

LATE BREAKING NEWS!!!
    The Hirobo Ashura that got snapped up by barrypops a few weeks back.... fell through. Its been relisted and this time at a higher starting bid with a Buy-It-Now of $250. The seller said that barrypops didn't come through on the payment

Also,theres another Kyosho Fantom out for auction from Germany. It is in mint condition with an original body. So far, I have tried to bid for it but there is some fierce competition.

If it wasn't for my addiction to gas cars, I probably would consider the Hirobo.

I'm the proud owner of an AYK Bun Bun Racer. It's a full 1/12 scale F1 style car. They come with funky stickers that are close to the real ones but I guess they didn't get permission to make them full so instead of seeing Camel, it's Carmel. I'll post photos if you want to see.

Yep, I've seen that Ashura but I'm a bit worried if it really is unused, hard to tell from the pictures.

That picture of the Mugen I got from the net - if you have a look at the Japanese Yahoo auctions, there are so many rare cars there it's amazing - so if I find one I like I'll grab the picture (helps me to remember what i want )

Hey minijosh! Are you the same minijosh on the Tamiya club forums? If so, I'm Bender on there. Still haven't found that other Nikko Brat conversion

17. Kyosho Plazma or Fantom EP 
    If anyone has a Kyosho Plazma (Any Series) or Fantom 4WD for sale, please let me know. I have a Kyosho Ultima Pro (NIB), Optima Pro (NIB), or a lightly used Turbo Mid SE that I would be willing to trade for - or name a cash price. Thanks.

sundevil67
    Last edited by sundevil67; 11-17-2004 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Notification

18. Delta car 
    Back in the mid 80's my brother-in-law gave me his 1/12 Delta with Kraft radio gear, Novak 4 speed control, full bearings, graphite chassis and shaft. He said he won alot of regionals with it in 4 cell stock motor, I believe it, it's fast and handles like a dream.
    Attached Images

toyman, how about posting some pics without the body?

Delta made great 1/12 and 1/8 scalers. If I remember rightly Art Carbonell won the 81 world champs in 1/8th scale with a Delta, then won the first 1/12 scale worlds the following year as well. Wonder what happened to them?

I've been try'in, but not get'in through. eversence they upgraded i've had noth'in but problems, I got lucky with the last pic. I'll keep try'in Still can't upload
    Last edited by toyman64; 11-19-2004 at 03:37 AM.

Hey Bender, you tracked me down to here lol. I still haven't found those bits either. I'm going to post photos of my Bun Bun racer here just so you guys can have a laugh.

I have a AYK Race Prep Parsec. Is that thing worth anything?

Don't know if this has anything to do with this, But My friends dad just gave me a few months ago the first 1/12 RWD corally made, i think that its the Corrally GPm or sp12, not sure, those names just popped into my head. If anybody coudl shed any info on this, that would be great.
    if it moves and its not supposed to-DUCT TAPE----if it doesn't move and its supposed to- WD-40- Need a little excitement? R/C CARS!!!!!!

I had a bunch of Jerobee cars at one time. Wish I had held onto them....
    www.cosmopaintworks.com

25. How much for thel optima pro? 
    Quote Originally Posted by sundevil67
    If anyone has a Kyosho Plazma (Any Series) or Fantom 4WD for sale, please let me know. I have a Kyosho Ultima Pro (NIB), Optima Pro (NIB), or a lightly used Turbo Mid SE that I would be willing to trade for - or name a cash price. Thanks.

sundevil67
    How much for the optima pro ? email me at johnkang@telus.net