Notices

Thread: need help with 25cc homelite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. need help with 25cc homelite 
    I can get the engine started easy but as soon as i take it off choke it dies... i also have no control over the throttal (servo is fine)

i think maby i put to much oil in the gas? anyone have any ideas?

thanks

This happened to me with my Weedeater engine I was going to put in my boat. Never got it finished because I fried the engine.

I believe it's to lean. Because when the choke is on that allows less air, and a more "ideal" setting which it ran on. And when you increase the air (open choke) it becauses to lean. So just try and richen it up a bit.

-Todd

Quote Originally Posted by scorpien boats
    I can get the engine started easy but as soon as i take it off choke it dies... i also have no control over the throttal (servo is fine)

i think maby i put to much oil in the gas? anyone have any ideas?

thanks
    I have a sx-135 homelite bandit that was doing the same thing. I just rebuild the carb and change the intake gasket.No more problem after that. I'm also using Amsoil 100:1 syntetic. (ieverything for about $20)

i rebuilt the carb and there dident apear to be anything wrong with it.... it was clean...

how do i richen it? is it like a nitro engine? i am new to gas boats

It is similar to a nitro - unscrew the mixture needle(s) to richen it. I would try going back to factory settings.

That's if you know the factory settings.

-Todd

7. From the manual 
    I happen to have a Prather homelite with the manual the book says.

Start with the low speed screw open 1 1/2 turns from closed.
    Start with the high speed screw open 1 Turn from closed.

Hope that helps.

PS the low speed screw is closest to the engine.
    Last edited by Icman69; 11-21-2004 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Left something out

How do you know which is low speed and which is high speed needle?

9. Screws 
    The low speed screw is closest to the engine.

i don't know where these are but i think i have a good idea there is two of them, one is black the other is red and they have springs on them....

thanks for the help

Sounds like your carb's equipped with what's called "limiters" in that those red/black pieces are plastic caps attached to your twin mixture screws. If you pry off (carefully) the red/black caps you'll see the high/low mixture screw slots underneath, plus if you look closely there'll likely be a "L" and "H" mark on the carb itself at the base of the screws. Once the caps are off, turn the screws in til they lightly seat against the springs, then back 'em out two full turns per screw and try running the boat.

Hope this helps,
    RickE

thanks, ill try that as soon as possible

well i got one limiter off... but the other is like a black piece of steel... i cant get it off and i cant turn it, even with plyers...

this is a pic with the red thing on.. there was also a white plastic cover around the needles, i took it off....
    Attached Images

this is with the red thing off
    Attached Images

i dont know what is up with the black cover or whatever it is... as you can see i shaved off the coatting trying to get it off with plyers

If you can get just one of the limiter caps off you should be able to adjust both needles-try it. That's not a Walbro carb you've got there, it looks more like a ZAMA/type carb, so, there's less knowledge of these in RC boats as the Walbro is #1. with most gas boaters.
    RickE

if i can't get it to work where could i get a walbro?

Call Warehouse Hobbies here in Florida-they used to use Homelites for all their boats and sell the Walbro of choice-but give them the specs on your engine to make sure that the Walbro will work on your powerplant.
    RickE

My Homelite runs a 167 Walbro and it works great. it's a little pricey at WHH but the have a 175 which will give more power for less.

icman what kind of homelite do you have?

i found two of those carbs on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

is that the one?

i tried starting it with the L needle 2 turns out... it revs up and then dies....

i think maby i should just get a zenoah 260 because i cant figure out what is wrong with this engine!!!
    Last edited by scorpien boats; 11-23-2004 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling error

alright forget all of that nonsence i just posted.... i got it to run nice... even off choke... i have throttal control now. The only problem is that after I get to about half throttal it dies... i think it just needs a little more tuning

thanks so much for all of your help

I have a Prather 30cc Homlite but the carb I use will work on either one. It sounds like you have your high speed needle set to rich and are flooding the engine. Is this a new engine you are working with? If it is used you may want to check the gasket and seals on the bottom end it could also be she is leaking air on the bottom end which will cause real weird problems like you are having.

no its used i will check anyway though.

Check if the carb is tightened up properly. If you get airleak between the intake and the carb, you will get all sorts of freaky problems. Other than that, my best bet would be to just keep tuning the carb-needles. Get it running rich on both needles, and then start leaning it out until itīs working.