Notices

Thread: O.T. - rockets

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This does NOT make a rocketeer happy:
    Attached Images

The walk of shame:
    Attached Images

As for numbers, yes, it is huge. It was about 17 feet tall, and weighed about 60lbs. It flew on an Animal Motor Works M2200 skidmark (4.45 newtons = 1lb of thrust). It was supposed to go about 5000 feet at 475mph. You need an FAA waiver for any rocket with more than 125g of propellant or weighing more than 1500g (3.3lbs). You need to notify the FAA on any rocket with more than 62.5g of propellant or weighing more than 1lb. We (the club) had an FAA waiver to 20000 feet. (and just in case you're wondering, that was NOT my rocket)

What can you say? 17ft tall & 60 lbs. Dang. Almost equal to what? A Patriot or something ?

Similar size, but nowhere near the weight. That is the size where if a small airplane was violating our FAA waiver, the airplane would loose. BTW - DD, you wanted to see a buildup of one of these rockets? If so, I have the build pics from my level one certification rocket (come on, surely someone can guess what my rocket is. It is a scale model of a real missile)

Nice shot in the last pic.

Okay, okay, I'm bittin' again....
    AmRaam,
    Sparrow,
    Stinger,
    SCUD
    (I know its not a Mavrik as I used to be associated with those)

In all honesty, I believe its a Navy missle of sorts. Just not that familiar with them.

For the build, yes, start a new thread or post in big bold letters in this thread the start of the project. Kool to see & thanks for taking time to share.

It's an AMRAAM (air force, but might also be used by the navy) 3 inch diameter scale model. The name stands for Advanced Medium Range Air to Air Missile. I'll start a new thread on the build/flight of my level one certification rocket.

hey chris, just curious if you could tell me where to find a list of rocket clubs? I would love to find a club close to me and just go and watch the guys launch there rockets.

Sure. Here are the lists:
    Tripoli Clubs: http://www.tripoli.org/prefecture/us.shtml
    NAR Clubs: http://nar.org/NARseclist.asp
    It looks like in Pennsylvania, the largest clubs are 4th gap rocketeers, NAR section 584, 300 acres and 7000 foot AGL waiver, website http://4thgap.com/, and Tripoli Pittsburgh, 5000 foot AGL waiver, up to J motors, and a combination of certified and EX (experimental launch - EVERYTHING is homemade, including the rocket motor). That makes me jealous - we don't have any EX launches in our area. Their website is http://www.rimworld.com/aaaaa/index.html . Good luck

WHOA! Those were some really amazing rockets! Ive gotta get some of those!

Open your wallet

My 1/10 scale X-15 Rocket project....

Full size Cad Drawings to start:

Last edited by cudacharger; 07-02-2005 at 03:35 PM.

What motor will be in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris LaPanse
    What motor will be in it?
    Here are some of the Details of the build:

Scale: 1/10
    Length: 49 inches
    Wing Span: 21.964 inches
    Weight: 44 Ounces prepped to fly
    "F" power Alt = 640 feet @ 130 mph (no air start)
    "G" power Alt = 1,550 feet @ 200 mph (no air start)
    Two air start motors (18mm or maybe 24mm motor size) (G-switch or micro switch activated).
    Fuselage Material: Vacuum formed  - graphite, kevlar, fiberglass, and epoxy.
    Wings, horizontal stabs and vertical stabs vacuumed formed - graphite, kevlar, fiberglass, balsa skin over foam cores with graphite end grain balsa thru the wall plug-in spars.
    Detailed Cockpit with waist up (bust) pilot (astronaut), Clear canopy windows, detailed upper instrument panel, eject seat.
    Adjustable nose weight.
    Plug-in wings and stabs (replaceable if damaged) (thru the wall attachment).
    TAC-1 parachute, kevlar chute protector, kevlar shock cord and stainless steel connectors.
    Baffled ejection (protects chute from eject charge flames).
    One access hatch between main wings with optional electronic and altimeter bay.
    Aeropoxy glue on all joints and fillets (the best)!
    3/8 launch lug with optional rail buttons.
    Slim line recessed motor retainer on main central 29mm motor mount. The motors will be recessed 2.5" from the bottom of the rocket simulating a nozzle (ceramic high temp epoxy nozzle).
    Painted and dry transfer decals.
    Clear coat UV protected epoxy paint (black with slight blue-purple hue).

How are you getting 1500 feet on a G motor? I have a 32oz rocket that only gets 1184 (measured with barometric altimiter) on a G64, the largest motor you can buy without a cert. Also, are you sure it will be stable? The X-15's (and any other rocket plane) tends to need noseweight to fly straight. Are you a NAR or TRA member? Also, are you certified? I'm glad I finally found someone else on the boards who likes rocketry.

PS -is the MMT long enough to take the AT/Dr Rocket 29/360 case? Better yet, is there room for a 38?
    Last edited by Chris LaPanse; 07-02-2005 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris LaPanse
    How are you getting 1500 feet on a G motor? I have a 32oz rocket that only gets 1184 (measured with barometric altimiter) on a G64, the largest motor you can buy without a cert. Also, are you sure it will be stable? The X-15's (and any other rocket plane) tends to need noseweight to fly straight. Are you a NAR or TRA member? Also, are you certified? I'm glad I finally found someone else on the boards who likes rocketry.

PS -is the MMT long enough to take the AT/Dr Rocket 29/360 case? Better yet, is there room for a 38?

Chris-

You are correct about the stability of the X-15...I'm looking into getting my certification......This rocket has always been a favorite of mine. I have commissioned an expert to build the rocket for me (I have no time with my business and travels). The Individual that is building the rocket has a long record of experience in rocketry...and has built a x-15 Rocket Glider in the past. http://www.retroflight.com/XPROJECTS.html

When the rocket is complete in August...I will post the update and first launch. I have built several Low and mid power rockets before...but this one is much more of an experience build. Have a great 4th of July!

Oh - it's him. He's on the other forum that I frequent - The Rocketry Forum (www.rocketryforum.com). He knows a lot about rocket gliders/airplane shaped rockets. I would suggest that you put in a single 38mm motor mount, rather than the planned 29 and pair of 24's. This would allow I motors as a possibility, and eliminates the complications of airstarts. And, whatever else you do, remember to post pics

18. Thumbs up rockets, wahoooooo 
    [B]What happened did all of you rocket people blow urselves up? just all sudden post stopped 7-4-05. Anybody out there ?
    Me , just new to hobby last 5 years or so. Lost my first real rocket, the initator. That puppy was awesome and flew hard and high, found the chute for a couple seconds right over head, looked down , looked up and it was gone. 20 family members, none of us could find it agian, theory caught a wind current.
    Therefore have changed my wave length, fat and low vs skinny and high.
    Let me hear from ya out there
    Brian

HOLY COW! Don't these things get picked up on radar, because they are SO big?

20. Exclamation Radar? 
    Well, I do not know that much in reference to the actual picked up on radar.
    I do believe that since no metal is used, that it does not get picked up on radar significantly. The majority that do go higher and need faa clearance, maybe they can tell us, I have not been told by the FAA,I have asked, that they saw any on radar. Mine only went 2000 feet thou.
    Brian

21. Rockets projects pics 
    Here are couple pics of some that I have been using.
    The last one shows last years new addition, Tomahawk region D, Flew on G-80-4 went well.
    Attached Images

22. last pic 
    Here,
    Attached Images

Very nice. No, I haven't blown myself up yet

As for radar, no clue, although I would imagine the larger ones could get picked up (we do have the 20000 foot FAA waiver, and a rocket going up this spring that is 21' by 12" diameter and will go 13000 feet will probably be visible on radar).

Oh - and the initiator is a GREAT rocket. Have flown mine 28 times, on everything from an F37 to a G25, at altitudes from 600 to 2200 feet. Every flight has been successful. It is one of my favorite rockets.

Oh - and PLEASE tell me that the tomahawk has a 38mm MMT. It would be a shame to waste all that potential for bigger motors just because you only put a 29mm in there.
    Last edited by Chris LaPanse; 02-08-2006 at 10:12 PM.

13,000feet? Awesome!

MAN 28times the initiator... holy cow, and I lost mine with a beautiful paint job first flight,lol. I did not know what to expect since I never been to a club launch or even seen any rockets launched at all at that time. That is what a club will do for ya!
    Yes, I build all my rockets 29mm since all I can buy is G motors and at this time I do not see getting certified anytime soon. I find it enough hassle to just notify the faa when I want to fly these, let alone a true full faa allowance.
    I just ordered my first easy access reload kits 2weeks ago so that I may try some different powders. G80 thunder is old. Gonna try the redline and G75J.
    What new projects you working on? anybody chime in.
    I got a couple of new projects working on now myself.
    I actually just started looking for some clubs in my area, nothern Kentucky. We shall see how that goes.
    later,Brian