Notices

Thread: O.T. - rockets

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Chris,
    Sorry bout the quick post, but, I am wanting to get an altimeter. As I said I dont plan on flying to high, just looking around on internet at different ones. I am leaning towards the apogee one, and just curious if you have used it or one similiar that you like.
    Thanks

The Apogee alt is great if all you want is a small, lightweight alt to measure altitude. If you want to get a deployment-capable alt, the Missileworks RRC2X or the Transolve P6 are good first time alts, and the Perfectflite MAWD is another good choice.

There are only a few clubs in Kentucky from what I can find, THIS is a HPR club, not sure about the waiver but can take at least up to I motors.
    Also, if you're willing to drive into Ohio occasionally, Tripoli Mid Ohio can launch the REALLY big stuff - up to M's and above.

Latest projects?

PML small endeavour (3'6" by 2.6", 38mm MMT), and I'm designing my L2 rocket - a 4" diameter by 6'6" tall AMRAAM, made from solid carbon fiber. It will have a 75mm MMT (yes, 75mm), and be capable of up to 22000 feet (not without radio tracking though ).

Here are a couple of my latest pics (taken last saturday) of my AMRAAM-3.

Here it is on an H268 redline:
    http://www.rocketryforum.com/attachm...&postid=273873

And here it is on an I405 (AWESOME motor):
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris LaPanse; 02-09-2006 at 01:58 AM.

Here is the 3d model I've made of that 4" carbon amraam that I was talking about:

That redline is awesome, The I speaks for itself, and loudly I'm sure.
    I have read about that carbon fiber stuff, pretty neat you get to work with it. That sure is what seems to be a great place for lauches, not a tree in view,lol. Nice looking build on that rocket!
    Few years ago I have the mean machine from estes, you know 6ft tall d motor classic.
    Flew it several times, kinda like it. Last year I found another and made it just over 10feet long and put a e-9 in the backdoor. The only construction modified was I tried to epoxy the fins, I was trying to glass em,but, did not work out. Anyway, it was a very entertaining launch, wiggled and shaked as it got going and then the rest was a good run.
    Suffered some acceleration crunch right above the fin area, pics will follow. This year I got a 3 foot section of phenolic,to cut out-replace the damaged area, to go for just over 13 feet and we shall see how it goes. I have a f23-7 econojet to do the job. Other than that, will be a slightly revised mean machine! Just short of crazy but, I thought it would be fun since the 10 footer was fun.
    Attached Images

5. crush tube 
    crush area
    Attached Images

ouch. My first mean machine has that too. Talking about Mean Machines, an F24 is great for them in large open areas (2200 feet). E9's are also fun. Are you sure the crunch at the bottom of your rocket happened on acceleration? My first mean machine had the same thing, and it happened when it landed too hard. I can't imagine an E9 having enough kick to make it crimp the body tube.

Oh - and yes, the I is loud
    I don't think it can be described, you have to see it in person.

Bummer, I was hip to acceleration crush, could be the landing ofcourse, was in brush field thou. I may try to do this 13 footer in halves with 2 small chutes.
    The other project im working on is my Minnie mag, Gonna double the length and try to get it to fly with the 75J relaod. Do you think I would need anymore finnage,or the stock fins would be good by themselves since I do not want to add anymore weight other than tube.
    What has been your highest altitude ? mine was probably the 1500-2000 with the lost maiden flight of my initiator, I got that Barracuda I know could go with the right motor,but, no place to go for that launch(checking those clubs), more importantly -recovery,lol

Lengthening the rocket should increase it's stability - no problems there. My highest altitide so far is that AMRAAM flight on the I405 - it hit about 4200 feet at about 500mph. I've got a rocket that I'll fly soon though that's a 38mm minimum diameter, and capable of up to about 13000 feet. I'm going to start with a G67R for the first flight (3000 feet or so), and keep bumping up the power until I either loose it or run out of more powerful motors that fit. Of course I will put radio tracking in it for the flights.It's also my first supersonic-capable rocket. Should be fun to put it up on an I600 eventually (90 gees, 1380mph, 13500 feet)

9. forums 
    Well, I found a rocket site. Rocketry forum, I am sure you are familiar with it.
    I like it, all about rockets. Well good luck with your builds!

Absolutely, if you're talking about www.rocketryforum.com

I am cjl there

Lol, yes I have seen your many posts. I had just found it right after your reply on this one.
    See you there

That was my mach machine thread u been bantering on... Brian62 see u there!

Ahh - I see

That explains a lot

As you can see, mach is a slightly controversial topic there