Notices

Thread: Has anyone seen a full scale outrigger?

1. Has anyone seen a full scale outrigger? 
    do they even make them?

If you mean a full scale one, yes, they do make them. The 'they' is usually the ones who plan to race them. Don't know of any commercially made ones, but my information is definitely dated!
    - 'Doc

That depends on what you mean - there are no full scale riggers, but there are hydros. Full scale ones perform much better with the wings on them. It is mostly beause they are going MUCH slower relative speed.

I accidently put this in the electric forum.. o well...

I was just wondering because the outriggers in rc are so fast so why don't they make real boats like them?

Not enough power to make it faster than an Unlimited. The unlimiteds are faster than riggers at speeds where the air under the sponsons alone isn't enough to lift them out of the water. The wings help lift it. On something that goes as fast (scale) as our riggers, the wings would make it blow over. If they ever get a full scale boat going 600 or 700 mph, then the optimal design would be very similar to the world record holding fast eletric rigger.

this is the closest i've ever seen to an actual full size 'rigger:

http://www.newtonmarine.com/110_plans.html

'riggers also have a problem with material strength. at the sizes they are built for R/C it's no big deal, but at full size they would be way to weak.

You could also call the Budweiser T4 hull, the Coor's Dry, T Plus, the U-19( with its multiple sponsonrs), and Circus Circus from the early 1990's outriggers as well. They were officially called two wing boats(the Circus was a three wing), due to the lack of a fully enclosed area between the center cockpit/engine bay and the sponsons. As for true outriggers, the Pak was the only one ever tried, and it was a failure. It tended to wash the driver out of the cockpit and never really got up on a plane like the round nosed boat that it raced against. The boat was replaced by a conventional roundnosed boat very shortly after the season started. It, along with the four point Circus Circus, were both better as models than in real life.

8. Full Size rigger. 
    Check this out.
    http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=8207

Mike Hallam is working on a full sized outrigger.

Peter R.
    www.climatemodels.com
    (Simply the best model boat kits.)
    http://www.climateboatworks.com

Wow!! It won't be able to run long, though, with an 8000hp top fuel engine. Those overheat if run at WOT for more than about 6 seconds at a time. That should get moving in that time, though. Is it supposed to be a drag boat?

I think so, even though he already has one

11. Cool  
    Full-scale outriggers have not been very successful - some designs simply cannot be scaled up due to the physics involved. Another example is the canard hull, successful as a model but a failure in full scale. Sir Donald Campbell had some success in the 1950s with kinda-riggers called the BlueBirds. He set many records with them, but he died trying to get a canard to work. In full scale they will work for top speed running, but not when they have to slow down for turns. Full-scale power is not like electric models, the engines have poor performance at slow speeds and need the lift supplied by a full-hull hydro to stay on step and accelerate well.

I wish those who again try to get the design to work full scale, but history shows it to be a lost cause.

http://www.lesliefield.com/galleries...d_bluebird.htm
    Last edited by Fluid; 01-20-2005 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Add Link