Notices

Thread: WHat does SAW stand for, and where can I get the Specs

1. WHat does SAW stand for, and where can I get the Specs 
    Y'all,

This sounds dumb, but what does 'SAW' stand for? Also, where can one go to get the rules, specifications, etc that define the parameters of a SAW boat? Thanks, bk

SAW stands for straight away. it's the drag racing of r/c boats. it's a timed 1/16 mile run. then your speed is calculated by averaging two runs in opposite directions. it's something that i just got interested in so that's about all i can tell you.

3. Cool  
    SAW racing isn't exactly a drag race, although acceleration is important. A 330-foot long course is set up in a lake with electronic timing equipment, and the racer takes passes back and forth across the lake, driving through the course each time. His time is taken from his best two back-to-back passes and averaged. This time is divided into 225 to get the official speed. If he takes an average of 10 seconds through the traps, his speed is 22.5 mph. If he takes 3 seconds, his speed is 75. That's close to my own record time with my 12-cell cat.

SAW racing is an incredible amount of fun, and you can learn a lot about going fast from the other racers. The biggest FE SAWs is held in Los Angeles in mid-November. Another one, with nitro boats, will be held in Huntsville, AL in early April.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/MainPage.htm

look at the vid and u'll understand

P.S. theres a new record this year set by the same guy...143MPH

143? that is absolutely insane. i think i'll stay down in the lower cell counts...that way i can actually see my boat!

6. Cool  
    I was standing on the drivers stand when Joerg made the highest speed pass. It was not a record because the boat hit the bank and was damaged after the first pass. The official fastest speed through the traps was 133 mph. A CHP officer was at the end of the lake with a laser radar gun and got 143 mph just before he hit the bank. To see the run go here:

http://www.drcwebservices.com/lasaw/default3.htm

Click on Pics and Video and scroll down to the Joerg's T Hydro vids.

The official record is just a 123 mph average on an earlier run. BTW, the record for a 6-cell hydro is 76+ mph.

I heard about that...i also heard only the prop was damaged is that true?

No, Joerg showed it to me after the crash, the bottom of the hull under the motor mount was breached and shattered, no way to repair without losing overall structural intergety of the hull....kinda vital for a boat going over 130 mph. He was fortunate it didn't sink.