Notices

Thread: best motor for bladerunner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cbhanlock
    I have the same boat and with the stock moter the boat is beyond slow. It can scarsly get up on plane.
    I went out and bought the NOVAK brushless sepup and boy dose it go now . If you can afford the extra bucks go brushless. I promise you will be verry pleased with the outcome
    hello my name is dean i also have a blade runner your best bet is to make the boat direct drive i ran a 17 turn stock motor for an impressive 25mph although you only get a three minute run time

Quote Originally Posted by deano
    hello my name is dean i also have a blade runner your best bet is to make the boat direct drive i ran a 17 turn stock motor for an impressive 25mph although you only get a three minute run time
    With the novak brushless i get the same kind of performace as your 17 turn maby even a littel better but my runtimes are in the teenes like 12 to 16 minuets on 3000 milliamp batteries.

What prop are you runing with your set up?

Quote Originally Posted by cbhanlock
    With the novak brushless i get the same kind of performace as your 17 turn maby even a littel better but my runtimes are in the teenes like 12 to 16 minuets on 3000 milliamp batteries.

What prop are you runing with your set up?
    hello there im running a kyosho 40 mil by 1.6 prop and use 7 2000 milliamp cells

Bladerunners are a good hull but need to be setup correctly

IDEALLY

counter rotating props -the hull is a narrow wetted surface area planing hull - one prop can roll it easily and cause massive instability - the original had twin outboards with counter rotating props to neutralise the effects of prop torque

your options here

twin 27mm (480's) twin 36mm motors (05 size) in bruished or brushless.

Keep them high revving because the prop you have available are the Octura 430 L&R or the Graupner K-series

run 6 cells per motor

Or run a single with an X435 prop minimum

5. bladerunner 
    Hey everyone, i have had a bladerunner for a while now, but in the usa they have stopped selling props from kyosho.(I beleive) Right now I have a custom prop. My grandpa and I made it of metal. It has a fairly big pitch to it and clears the outdrive unit just enough. If anyone knows of any good engines to buy that have good torgue and will still make the boat go in the twenties. Also, I do not have a speed control, would you suggest getting a speed control or brushless engine pack?

I was reading some of the other conversations and didn't understand a couple of things. How can you put like 16 cells in this boat? How can you put 2 motors in the blade? What is a good prop to buy? And where can i get some ball bearings and new gears to go faster? Thax

you shoudl get a speed control

""How can you put like 16 cells in this boat?

Remove the junk Kyosho has in the hull - the cell tray the radio box and the gearbox and there is a lot of room for cells and they go very low in the hull which improves stability

""How can you put 2 motors in the blade?

Side by side but with one in front of the other ie staggered to allow for the width - you do this to stop the torque of a single prop rolling the hull - this happens when you start to get speed up - ie over 21 mph

""What is a good prop to buy? And where can i get some ball bearings and ew gears to go faster?

Last first - a major problem with this boat is the kyosho gearbox it uses most of the power going into it in friction - it is best go to rid of all together. No blade runner has ever run fast on the stock gearbox in place

Ball bearings are not needed as it is the gearbox design/manufacture which is as fault

The prop depends on the motor. A direct drive 17 turn modified using an Octura X435 is probably as large as you want on a single prop - use 7 or 8 cells keep them low in the boat

Small brushless is even better get a couple of 400 size outrunners using a Octura X430 L&R props quick and outrageous fun

Use a ESC RC_Hydros are the best and inexpensive, frankly the ones you mentioned are not up to the job, junk the gearbox and see www.fastelectrics.com for a flexible connector. Use dean plugs and 12 awg deans wire. These things are needed to make the boat light fast and reliable.

The real problems is Kyosho bult a scale hull BUT it did not build a scale drive system - which had two props - counter rotating to stop the hull rolling. THey put on one large prop - btw the prop has to be surface piercing it is meant to run with only 1/2 the prop in the water at any time.

Ok, so far I am understanding wat you told me. Now, wen I put the 16 cells in the boat they should be in the middle of the hull. Sould I buy single cells and make the pack? or can I buy a Tamiya heavy gauge wire harness at www.offshoreelectrics.com and connect 2 packs to that?
    Lately I am not sure y, but my battery connectors have been melting together. Just yesterday, one of the batteries leaked acid it looked like. And now I have to throw it out. The motor I am using now is here: http://h1070026.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...p?prod=TRI9258

If u no of any place to buy a cheap boat hull, it would be greatly appreciated!
    When you said how to put the 2 motors in the boat, would I need to buy another shaft?