Notices

Thread: What would it take to get you to race?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    A clas for indoor pool raceing for Winter,like ZIG ZAG racers
    As funny as it sounds that is a great idea. Just have to find pools that are availible.

TRIKDYA , there was or still is a bunch of guys out there into drag boats.Not sure if they are still around.

You might like this then, www.rcdba.com .
    In Alaska, they do have indoor school pool races in the winter. Using small, inexpensive boats they do run 4 and 6-cell boats using already made boats or their own designs

3. indoor races 
    in the Boston MA area they have indoor sail boat races,using fans for wind power

4. New To The Sport 
    Would definately like to join a club or group to get into racing... I am on the western slope of Colorado and R/C Boats are pretty much greek over here, much less racing or having a club to join...I pretty much run my own creations. Hate "RTR" anything... My latest boat boat is a 31 Prather with a kyosho dolphin (modified) with a Jeti 30-3 brushless motor, BIG PROP, and 2-4200 11.1 V thunder power packs. I doubt Ill leave it in the truck on race day but you never know..Any help on clubs in this state or just modelers in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I would enter a race but I dony have a racing boat I just have 2 normsl boats.

Hey guys, get this (its not really racing but its still running your RC boats together!); a hobby shop down the street hosts a (mainly, but not ALL) gas boat meet EVERY sunday! This is a key factor in my decision to possibly by a nitro boat! Its so sweet, theyr there every sunday so you always have someone to run with.

Good point. I run frequently, and the club I belong to is primarily a racing club. However, at our local pond they're mostly trying to get their boats to run well for the next race and that involves a good deal of "fun running" while they get their settings for "next weekend".

My boats are not race-ready. Even the ones that are racing designs have mild engines, so the idea of racing to win would be something of a joke. Well, at least unless the race turned out to be a "race of attrition" where the declared winner is the last boat still running.

The high price of racing is getting to be an issue with everyone as those that are on a budget can't afford to buy the latest, greatest piece of equipment out there. It's bad enough for Average Joe Racer to be competitive and now Andy Brown and Co. are coming out with a whole new line of race engines, the A/A's that every rich boy boat racer will have to have.
    We need to cut things off somewhere pricewise or separate the people somewhere. Even with the Novice classes popping up, I could see some kids' rich daddy dropping one of those in Junior's boat whether or not he or she could handle it.
    I've already seen where some parents wanted to start their young offspring with high-zoot Gas mono's and even 'riggers!
    Controlling the cost is only going to be in the ABS or production boat classes.
    There are some Gas boaters that are trying to get a low-dollar class up and going and calling it for now the "2x4" class. Home-built wood hulls and hardware, using a Gas engine that has a price of no more than $99.00 retail. They may not be fast but could be a lot of fun with a more even playing field.

No more than 99 retail and then 500 on mods. Just kidding.

Racing sounds great ,for those of us that are on limited budgets and that are wanting try out racing this sounds like it may have some promise.I agree with the person up higher on the list classes would need to be made to keep things fair ,for us novice fellows with the slow boat keep pushing on the subject and comprimises can be made.Thanks Flameknee

I live in York PA and have no idea where to go to even run my boats other than in the river. I take them with when I go full-size boating. I would like to run in a pond but there are none I am aware of for nitro.

I hope to be able to start running with some guys. Just learned about the MMEU. Hope to meet up sometime with them, its about a 45 min drive for me.

They've got a good bunch of people in the MMEU club. Being a fuel-burner I had to attend one of the MI Cup events to see how they do it and talked to a lot of them while there. This was back when they raced behind the Lansing Mall, not at the new site in Milford.

14. racing 
    racing at local club level wouldnt be a problem, but finding the time and money to fly or drive all over the usa for races would be a huge no no. I guess those with the bucks can do it but it does limit the competition, and just because most cant do it doesnt always mean they wouldnt win, or keep up with the rest. JM2P

i drive 4 hours round trip every sunday to meet up with the club that i run with. is it worth it? definitely. i learn more with every trip. we're holding a 3 day event this following weekend. guys are coming from all over the country to attend, which is amazing. next year, i'm picking one or two out of state races to attend, those will be my vacations. i'm not rolling in the cash, just love the hobby.

16. racin 
    I love the hobby too and miss it more than i ever thought but looking to get back into it, but with a family etc being away most weekends isnt viable. Family first, hobby second. Not saying your not the same, but having moved here in november and only now getting my green card other things take priority. Mind you, if i could do it everyday i would. Maybe the wife needs a boat as well as me .

the main benifits of being single include: running boats whenever/where-ever i want, working on boats on the kitchen table, and blowing paychecks on boats. all of that will end one day, and i'll have to slim down the hobby a bit, but for now my boats get the number 1 spot! enjoying it while i can i should find a young lady who likes boats too, then she won't mind the kitchen table being covered in epoxy bottles and half built hulls. and i'll some one to pit for me.

18. lol 
    I know where ya commin from, i was there once. Prepping the boats in the house, even lubing them while watching tv in the living room. AAAHHH those were the days. Wonder how long it will take me to pay off the divorce, just kidding. But yes ive been there, and i say make the most of it all ya can, and as they say back home, ya lucky bugger.

if i had the camera here i'd show proof...my kitchen table has on it at this moment, an outrigger and a half, a parts box, countless CA and epoxy tubes, a vice, a soldering iron, some balsa, some paint, some sandpaper, a few drive shafts, and misc. other items. i live in a 2 bedroom apt. by myself...guess what is filling up the extra bedroom??? 8 boats, along with the requisite number of tool boxes and shelves and other here's and there's! got a few more at my pop's house.

as far as "what would it take to get you to race"...a club filled with good people who are willing to help is number one on my list. i happen to now belong to a club like that. it just happens that i have to drive 107miles to get there. i'll be spending the next few days there for the annual race (The Sardine Classic). it should be an awesome event. several guys that you've probably heard about by reading RCBM will be there. this will be my first year attending the race. the core group of guys have put a lot of time and effort into turning it into a "national venue". folks are coming to WI from both coasts for this race. i'm psyched for it. i spent this afternoon repairing some of last weeks damage. and i'll be testing a boat tomorrow for the first time, with the intention to race it on saturday. talk about cutting it close

Boat Doc, it's too bad that you live so far away. I know of a lady NE of Detroit that has a nice collection of R/C boats and trucks plus a tricked-out Civic. Why some boater hasn't grabbed her up, I don't know and she isn't ugly either!
    My wife did race for a while and my son still does. She got to where she had a good ear for tuning an engine and knew what prop she liked. It got hard for her to travel with us as we have dogs that can't be left alone unless we want the house destroyed when we get home.
    My old dining room table is now in the basement piled with parts and an incomplete gas C-box. That doesn't count 2 workbenches, 2 sets of steel shelving and an 8-foot table but still don't have enough room!

well, ya know, Ron...the ferry ride from here to Mich. isn't that bad. if she's into FE send her my way my nitro days are over. i do have a civic though.... anywho, i'm surprised you haven't gotten into electric yourself. you should give it a shot, and join us at the Sardine Classic next year.

Yeah, the thought has crossed my mind. I've got a lot of people bugging me to get back into them again, I've still got a lot of battery packs and chargers so I'm set there. The new Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 is making me think about trying it again. I've got one (former) record holder that doesn't live too far away that I know would help me out if I need some, George Dalecki. If the name rings a bell for those of you that have read RCBM for a number of years, he won a hydro that was a cover boat and project for the magazine done up with a Tide paint job.
    The problem also arises around here as there isn't much in the way of FE boat racing. The big one here is of course the Michigan Cup race but that's it unless I want to travel to the Chicago area or Wisconsin.
    Yeah, she's getting rid of her nitro boats and just got a custom-built boat from Chris Fine but she also just got a new gas Shockwave, the latest version.

since you mentioned it...the super vee is (IMHO) the new ticket into FE. i've seen that puppy go, and it is awesome. i'll be buying one as soon as it's available. the MAFE club will be opening a "spec" class for them also. one of the guys who drove it is into N2 rigger's only and even he was impressed. no other production RTR FE boat can match it, in quality or speed (30+mph out of the box). it's the best and cheapest way to break into racing.

ok ron you asked. here is my reply. winning BIG in the lottery. no? consider the person who has an rtr boat & wants to get into fe racing;motor & esc $70, hull $70, running hardware $120, radio $100, battery packs $70,and charger $120 total $540 for an 'entry level' n1 boat... don't know if this is common but trying to find others to race against in this class is difficult. want to upgrade to a more common class well in 06 that would have run you about $400 more. in 07 it looks like that figure jumps to around $1000. I know racing is expensive but this minds me more of the formula 1 cars, than nascar let alone dirt trackers. grow the sport...right looks to me like they are growing themselves into oblivion. I doubt whether I'll still be trying in 08(07 prolly go through the motions(to little effect)) oh and the supervee will still run around $500 to race.

rex...remember, a lot of those costs are split over many boats. power supplies and chargers last over time. you've seen my setups. you and i are probably the lowest budget guys in the club. many bits of hardware can be switched between boats as you step up. 2nd hand gear isn't always bad either. you'll be racing with us for a long time. it's really just a matter of picking the right gear the first time. i know i've got a bunch of junk that i can't use anymore, and my lesson has been learned. classes like LSH, N-1mono, and LSO exist to keep the lower budget/lower experience guys in the action. they're fun as heck too. those three classes are set up games, not $$$ games.