Notices

Thread: building a new mono

1. building a new mono 
    i'm about to start building a new mono. it's the "maxim" available from rc boat modeler. it's 25" x 9". i'm planning on a motor in the 8x2 -10x2 range. surface drive is an obvious choice. being my first FE mono i need prop ideas and maybe a few set up tips. am i right to shoot for a 33% cg? oh yeah...i'll be running on 6 cells. i may go on 4 just to see.

I have a 4 cell rigger running on a 6turn motor...kicks A$$....ok..back to topic...CG sounds good...standard, the prop...well...you could go for a 31mm prop or a bit more....www.offshoreelectrics.com sells amazing carbon fiber props...look into it...mayber email them so they can recommend something

i've got a 4 cell rigger in the works too. pretty much just a SAW boat. i'm thinking about the 6turn drag motor from trinity for that one. i've got an 8turn double arm on the way from integy for the mono. i'm going to use an rc-hydros esc for the mono. i wanted to use one for the rigger too...but when i talked to rc-hydro's he told me that he's not making the 4 cell esc anymore

im using lrp quantum2, zebra cells, and 6 turn hughey

5. Cool  
    That large mono is really too big for 6 cells I'm afraid. That is an appropriate size for 12 to 18 cells. To get it to run well on 6 you'll need a relatively high turn motor to be able to spin a large enough prop...something on the order of 12-14 turns for an x435-size prop. Too low a wind and you can't spin a large enough prop to move the boat efficiently without over-amping. With a gear box, maybe........

my answer to that...kinkos! i can just downsize the plan. thanks for the input. i'd hate to build a dog and then sit around wondering why it's slow. what would be a good size? the ad said it was made for 6 cells, that's why i went for it.

It runs on 6 cells, but back when it was designed exciting speeds were...well...slower than today. I'd resize for 21"-22", that will be a lot faster.

thanks, that was about what i was thinking. the plans should be here any day now. then it's time for kinkos, hey, if all goes well, i may have something started by next week.

9. building a new mono 
    25" x 9" , nice size1 use a SSI which is on sale for $50.00 at www.finedesignrc .com--- 12-3300---130 flex=== 440 prop so you won't spin out with to big a prop. If you go 21-22" -a Chameleon #2110- with 33,000 rpm and a 632 prop and flex on 6 cells. Chameleon is one **** of a motor or Tower has a Speed secret 14 quad, i have one and put in good brushes and lessen tension on 7 cells and flies. It has lasted 2 seasons in a 22" wooden El Lobo II with a 632 prop on 2400 cells. Price of motor $19.95, blue light special, LOL!

10. building a new mono 
    web site www.kelownafastelectrics.com go monos sol bianca shows over powering and will use up juice and less run time but 440 will be just a hair slower but will be smoother and more stable. Maintenance will be 1/4 less than 05 unit, i know, i have 9 05's and 1 700-8.4 and 90% maintenance is 05!!