Notices

Thread: Boat newbie..help me choose

1. Boat newbie..help me choose 
    Want to get into the boat scene. I live on a lake, but in the winter there isn't much I can do on it, and I love just being near the water. I want something quick and "flickable" like to get about 20+mph out of it, with atleast 10 minutes of runtime, something that puts out a rooster-tail would be nifty too..

Only have about $200 or so to spend on this (minus radio and batteries)so I reckon this would be a budget build.

if you like to build from kits check out www.climatemodels.com they have lots of good stuff. there's also blew by you boatworks at http://www.bbyracing.com/ . there are some RTR's out there too, like the electric hammer from aquacraft, or the villain from traxxas.

Are the CEN boats any good, ie: Aqua Jet or Grey Thunder? Kits wouldn't bother me as long as they aren't too complicated with the fibre-glassing.

the cen boats look like they would be alright. plus they are RTR. i imagine they can be upgraded easily as well. a lazer cut wooden kit, like those from climate, wouldn't need any fiberglassing. i left mine in a natural finish by putting on a couple thin coats of resin, followed up with clear coat. most of the boats from BBY are available in ABS, fiberglass and carbon. the bonus of BBY is the fact that all of them are available as bare hulls to RTR and every stage in between. since you are new to boats i'd say to go with a vee style hull. there is less involved as far as set up and tweaking to make it run right. they are the best boats for beginners. rigger's, cats and hydros have much more to them as far as correct set up is concerned.

ABS V-18 War Zone Jr. is the only one on BBY that fits my budget, how does it stand up to the CENs? I guess I meant resin, not fibreglass...is that stuff hard to work with/apply?

i have a traxxas blast i can sell you artr just add esc and motor and your off i have batterie and charger boat runs about 25 with the right motor like a monster stock and about 10 min run time on 2400s have pix painted bright orange top an left botom white will sell for cheap about 120 shipped

Want to get something more "real" RC boat...traxxas is nice, but not known for their off-shore products.