Notices

Thread: National Association of Rocketry Junior Level One Certification (AMRAAM-3)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yep, the MaxTrax is OK for an Estes rocket, although the altimeter is junk. Someone on a rocketry forum once stuck a real barometric altimeter in a MaxTrax, and found the altimeter included (which is really just a timer that times it's fall from apogee) is usually only 80% accurate. Sometime, I would like to get an altimeter and put it in the payload bay (the top section) of my rocket to see what altitude it actually can reach. Also, Estes aren't all junk - most of the rockets I own are estes (although the percentage is shrinking). They are still good when you just want to go out to a baseball field and launch a few rockets (instead of all of the procedures you have to go through to fly the big stuff).

2. Talking It Flew Again 
    The AMRAAM-3 flew again this weekend, on an H148 Redline motor. It was a beautiful flight, to 1650 or so feet with one problem (more on that later). Here is a liftoff shot (note the red flame):
    Attached Images

Here it is under chute. Now, if you look carefully, you'll notice that some of the forward (canard) fins are missing (two, to be exact). This happened sometime after motor burnout and before landing, and I'm really not sure exactly when or what caused it. Luckily for me, the canards can be purchased seperately, for only $2.50 a fin, so it is an easy fix.
    Attached Images