Notices

Thread: Car Rack / luggage rack questions

1. Car Rack / luggage rack questions 
    Bought a new "Fetch" boat to play with this summer & it'll arrive while we're on vacation. Cute little unsinkable glass boat thats about 8.5 ft & weighs around 75 lbs.

I'm not familiar with all the luggage racks on the market & will do some shopping at Pep Boyz & Auto Zone, Walmart etc.. while home. Would one of these hold up to loading the boat on top of a Golf IV (2000)? Its a two door sweetheart that I love dearly & but don't want to abuse.

Have considered a small hitch for a small flat bed utility trailer. Wife says it sounds like a little more trouble having to move the trailer around while I can just tote the boat & have it secured in a minute or two.

Just thought something... my car is going to be LOADED! Will have two rc boats, 4hp Evinrude outboard w/tank, two boxes of support gear & a lifejacket. Sounds like should just take the trailer. Dang.

Whats your take on the racks?

Here's a pic of the new boat.

Attached Images

I think the rack is a BAD idea. The boat is seriously not much shorter than your car, so that would make considerable overhang either in front or back. If hang infront the wind will want to pick it up and blow it off and off the back would be prone to slipping off. Get a small trailer (you will prolly need some kind of hitch too...) from a cheep tool store (we have Harbor Freight here but I don't know if they are national). Oh and don't ditch the oars, it would suck to need a retreive boat for your retreive boat

Harbor Freight?!? Oh man, I shop there WAY TOO much. Yes, they are national. www.harborfreight.com

Well when you shop there you have to keep comming back as the tool you just bought just broke and you need another cheep replacement

Good info. Went to bed last night with tons on the noggin. Didn't think too much about the overhang portion but you're absolutly right. Size of car vs the boat & then loading all the junk inside. <roll eyes>

Ebay has some good deals on the hitches & my brother-in law has a small utility trailer just perfect for this boat. Don't like to borrow things from anybody but will consider it this time Keep the oars? You're kidding right? Never leave the bank without them ~lol

Harbor Freight was saved a long time ago in the Fav's Any of you shop at Big Lots? Will have to hit that place a few times too.
    Last edited by Doubledog; 04-30-2005 at 02:50 AM.

Ya Big Lots is nice for random Campbel Hausfeld parts. Also Costco's outlet store "GTM" has sweet deals on random tools too.
    The rack idea would be cool but I think a golf is more suited to a model on the roof rather than a row boat lol

Station wagon? LOL.

Ehh... Chevy Surburban

That VW wil pull a lot of weight, at least Terry Keeley's does. His enclosed trailer is almost as long as his car. I'd go with a cheap, lightweight trailer. I ran out of room in my truck for long haul races and got a trailer. It was one that my dad built before he passed away and modified it for my needs.
    We have a Big Lots here and a Harbor Freight about 45 miles away. I can't drive there without a full wallet!

All set. Got a hitch on order & a trailer to use anytime. No luggage rack for me. LOL.

Wait wait wait wait - what did I just hear?? Did Ron say that there is a Harbor Freight nearby?!? How did I miss this? I keep ordering online. I'd MUCH rather drive there. I'll have to look online & see where they are.

OK, I found it, 28th street in G.R. West of 131. That means they are over there by that hobby shop. Cool, I'll have to go up there this Saturday & visit them & both hobby shops.

Yup, they're on the east end of Roger's Plaza right near Hobby World, 28th St. and Clyde Park just west of US-131. You couldn't get me near the place with the contruction going on at the overpass right now. The store is much larger on the inside that it looks like on the outside.

That's alright - I'll brave the construction. In fact me & my buddy Karl are goin' tonight as soon as he gets off work. They have the best prices on heat shrink tubing & electrical connectors.

Okay, still on vacation till the end of the week. Cruised around town & guess what I found just across the bay in Mobile, AL.?

HARBOR FREIGHT !~!~!~!

Guys, that place is ten times better than the website.! The store was so packed they didn't have room for everything on the shelves. Stuff was just stacked on top turned on its side so you can see what it is. I'm in love! Wife told me to go by myself because she knew I'd be a while. Took an hour to make a fast pass through there. After I saw my buggy wasn't full enough, I made a second pass in case there was something missed!

Wallet damage wasn't bad at all considering the quality of merchandise & the good prices. Got a few days left, so might make another run for some more caster wheels.

I found an original OEM German luggage rack for the top of my bug. I asked a buddy of mine who runs a local VW & truck accessory shop if he could find me a metal reproduction & he said 'like the one I got in the back room'? Gack! Like the... wait, say that again... show me. PLUS - get this - he only wanted $50 for it. I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough - I nearly choked. I couldn't believe he had that sitting in the back room all this time. All the current reproductions have the wood slats which are noisy when the rivets loosen up. Anyway, it looks TOO cool, but holds very little. Needless to say I doubt I'll be driving it to the lake with my boats since it's so small.

p.s. - Ron, I never ran into construction when I went to Harbor Freight - I guess I was lucky.

That place is insane. Thats all there is to it. Call me easily aroused

Bug, are you talking about Ron Nelson? I have to stop in and see him sometime! He is one of the few Simichrome dealers in the area. I've only seen him a few times since I sold my dune buggy.
    2Dog, the Harbor Freight stores have great prices on a lot of things but you have to really look around in the store. I bought a lot of zip ties there. They have packages of different sizes and colors cheap! I picked up a 12 volt cordless drill with battery and charger for $12.00 on sale and the thing works great.

Oh yeah. Looking around and searching out whats quality & what isn't. My thing was items like an impact driver, stencil set, castor wheels, engraver, sand paper, etc... Looked around at some of the power tools. Really, really wanting a welder.!

Yep, Ron Nelson. Known him for 20 years. If he had a college-bound kid I think I would have paid for all four years worth of tuition. (although it took me MORE than 4 to get through it) He's rebuilt several motors for me and I've bought countless parts. I'm gettin' antsy to get my bug on the road. Hopefully if the weather cooperates it'll only be another week or two. It looks good, I just have to get my rims done & a few little things. Too long of a list to bore you all with here but I've done a LOT to 'er so far. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Attached Images

We're getting off-topic in the Off-Topic forum! Yeah, Ron got a few of my dollars in his time like when he built my 1641 into an 1835. Spent a few nights sucking down the beer with him and his ex, Nancy.
    Come on up to the park Saturday, we can talk about the good old days then.

Yeah, I get sidetracked a bit. I can't help it. Boats 'N' bugs - what could be better?