Notices

Thread: Props --- Sharpen, balance & polish

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If your LHS doesn't carry them or can't get them, you can order it through Tower Hobbies.

If you haven't gotten one yet, the latest issue of RCBM has a great article on sharpening and balancing props by our own Moderator in here, Rick Eyrich.

Is the topflite a better balancer or the Dubro Tru-spin??

Hows this for a shoping list.
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXDS07&P=K
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXNM83&P=K
    http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXHY61&P=K
    I know that the prop is more expensive but I don't want to have to pay shipping for just a prop Should I get brass or stanless on the prop???

The Du-Bro isn't bad, it's similar to the Robart that I used for years. The Top-Flite you might find to be too sensitive for most users. It might drive you over the wall because you'll have problems getting a prop too perfect.

So, would you go with the Du-bro???

For ease of use they are the same. You might like that the Du-Bro isn't so sensitive.

But it is sensitive enough to balance a prop well??

Also, whats better. A stainless prop(harder to work with) or a Copper????

9. Talking  
    stanless steel is harder to work with,but i think it looks better..copper is more easy than steel but watch out for the dust when filing the prop its DANGEROUSE ... anyway look in this months issue of rcboatmodeler...theres a few pages on prop balancing and sharpening....but if i was you id get a prop modded already for you straight away even if it cost alittle extra...

Where can i get a modded prop???

And do stainless props run better then copper or will I not notice a difference between the two??

12. Talking  
    i no of on in USA hang on ill look for the web address.. stanless steel is harder (stronger)they say you can throw these props around a dont worrie to much if you hit some thing with them..... they both run the same i think,just that stanless steel is stronger check this out he doesnt sell props but have a look at these ejp..http://rcprops.com/rcprops/index.html
    Last edited by rico3; 07-20-2005 at 06:23 PM.

13. Talking  
    ill have to look for that web address for the modded props that you can buy... give me a little time ejp ill get back to you ..

I'm going to order a balancer and prop so I will just experement with that

www.cmdracing.com has a Prop Wall that has props on hand and ready for shipping. It is updated daily so if you don't see what you want, keep checking in or request one. I might get into doing some prop work this weekend. A LHS is going out of business after being here in town for a good 20 years. Myself and a friend are probably going to get every prop that they have on the wall. It's to bad as they were the only one out of 3 that kept boating supplies in stock.

Better then what I have. 0 out of 0 here carry boating stuff

17. props 
    Theres no difference in stainless or berylium as far as performance goes, but rico is right, watch out when ya mod those bronze ones, the dust is realy bad for ya. Word of warning, before ya mod a prop get alot of info if ya dont know what ya doing and make sure all the blades are the same size and shape and ballenced right otherwise you will just go through flexis every 15 mins and lead teflon bearings too, you have been warned.

I just plan to do the bar cut so I can get it to rev out faster. I also want to clean up the hub real good and thin the blades some, also give a a nice polish job. Thanks for warning me.

How do you keep the props from tarnishing??

The only ones I've had success with not tarnishing is the SS. Copper is going to tarnish a little so keep some polish handy.

21. Talking  
    ok ejp heres that link for buying modded props....http://hometown.aol.com/tpw033/thepropworks.html

While the glue dries in the radio box for the Fighter, may as well cut up a prop. A bit of experimenting.

Prather 280

Before even running, it got a huge Barr Cut. Thought the Sikk would like it but it doesn't. Speed was way off and didn't rev. So we'll try something else.

Look at the left side of the prop and you'll see the orriginal cut. The right side is being worked & will show more in the next pic.

Attached Images

Notice something missing from one blade?

This is the tounge area as its referred to. Its leaving town.

Look close & you can see where the trailing edge of the "R" side (of Prather) is getting blended into a back cut now.

The Barr Cut and tounge removal are two good mods that help them rev quicker.
    Attached Images

More blending. For experimenting purposes, I'm going to keep it rounded on the trailing edge.

Attached Images

side shot.

Scribe lines along the trailing edge where the planned back cut will be. (like said above, the plan is to try a rounded back cut this time)