Notices

Thread: Looking for repairperson who's dependable

1. Looking for repairperson who's dependable 
    I have a glass hydro that is damaged that I have no idea how to fix. It's not wreck damage but some fool put expandible foam in it and blew open part of the outside on a T-4 Bud MRP hull.Of course it didn't show in the pics and I wanted it anyway. Will strip out the gear and ship to get it fixed if somebody can help with the name/or names of somebody good around the Michigan or surrounding area. The locals here don't seem to want to help or they don't have time. I'll even take a pro builder if available who like HYDROS -anyplace !!! Otherwise it'll have to stay on the shelf again this year......
    Thanks

Try your local boat retailer / shop or even a plumber. I'm sure those guys will be willing to do it as a side job. Problem might be how to approach them with the question.

I've fixed a boat like that before. The stickler isn't so much the repair but splitting the hull to DO the repair without complicating the problem. I promise you can do it yourself if you are patient & take your time. Can you split the hull apart in an area that can be fixed where the fix won't show like at the top/bottom seam? If you can get it apart without splitting it too far, or better yet cutting it with a cutoff wheel, you can then get some resin into the sponsons & then dangle some glass strips down in there pressing it to the wet (with resin) inside with a wooden dowel through the center cowl opening. Only do 1 side at a time (if you have to repair both sponsons). Otherwise you'll have trouble controlling the resin because you'll actually have to roll the hull back & forth on its' side to get the resin to flow along the seam until it cures. The resin will usually flash quickly so this won't take long - you just don't want the resin to pool at the bottom instead of keeping the glass strip fully soaked. I use an old turkey baster to squirt the resin where I needed it but I've also sucked it up into a straw (not too far!) & then softly blew it out. You can hold the sponson halves together with rubber bands or tape. Even if the split ISN'T at the seam, you'll want to cut it at the seam, do the repair, & then reglass the seam. Don't be afraid to do it, we'll all help.
    Last edited by bugfanatic; 06-12-2005 at 09:44 PM.

4. My bud repair 
    It's on the outside rail of the T-4 hull on the inside part line. I know this makes no sense. But you have to look at a T-4 hull to see what I mean. It's between the cowling for the cab/then the air opening/then the outside rail and this is what is split on the inside side. What it looks like is they put expandable foam into the sponson on the left side for floatation but blew the seam apart. I can send a pic to anyone interested in it.

5. Not worth it. 
    Most people that are really good at fiberglass repair and gelcoat would charge more than you paid for the hull. I build boats and I can tell you if one does not come out of the mold right I trash it. It takes much less time to make another boat than repair a damaged hull. Since time is money for people that do glass that is why no one wants to take it on.

I am repairing a hull for a guy right now, I wouldn't do it except he is a friend and it is a fairly simple fix. If it was a tough repair I would just make a new hull for cost for him and move on. I am not trying to say not to fix it but that is the facts.
    Last edited by Icman69; 06-13-2005 at 06:09 AM.

Icman is right. It would be expensive to hire someone to do it. Fixing fiberglass is timely that's kinda why I tried talking you into braving it yourself. However, you're time is free as far as labor goes. If worse comes to worse & you have to get a new hull, then you might as well practice on THIS hull. You can always use those skills later. Just remember that fiberglass gets heavy quickly so pay attention to how much resin you are using. If it turns out, cool, run it. If it doesn't, you were prepared to get a new hull anyway & you can always run it while you save for that carbon fiber hull. Where in MI do you live?

hello i currently work for a marine shop in baton rouge la doing fiberglass repair so i am very experienced also on the side i run my own model boat buisness b and b racing and i would be willing to do the repairwork for a very low price but also do a very pro job let me know bjcri90@yahoo.com is my e mail adress.

Wow, thanks for stepping up mustangman. How cool is that decoy?