Notices

Thread: Local Drag Strip

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Considering what happened, this might be a loaded question...but how did you like your URC lipos? Also sweet looking car , like the simpleness.

The li-pos didnt work, he had to cancel his official test run because of them

The Lithium Polymers did not come from United RC.

United RC Provided the Custom Receiver Pack.

The Kokams that I run came from 'elsewhere'. But they were running fantastic up until the night before the run when one of the cells became unstable.

Thanks for the comment on the car. I build everything according to "keep it simple".

Quote Originally Posted by InitialVelocity
    The Lithium Polymers did not come from United RC.

United RC Provided the Custom Receiver Pack.

The Kokams that I run came from 'elsewhere'. But they were running fantastic up until the night before the run when one of the cells became unstable.

Thanks for the comment on the car. I build everything according to "keep it simple".

Question answered, thanks. I do realize he didn't make the run because of bad batteries, I was just asking how he liked them before the run as I am looking for some decent lipos for my micros. Hope you get it sorted soon IV!!

Already sorted. Two more lithium packs have been ordered and rescheduling in progress.

I'm suprised FreeRide hasnt chimed in.

yeah i know...well its sunday

Ok... So it's mostly off the shelf with some custom gearing it looks like. Very nice... Now what is the final ratio??

Oh... And I didn't chime in because I was at work when it was posted. Good ol' Trader Joes having me work a Sunday night.

Hey IV, thats a pretty slick car. Good luck on your runs.
    Traxxas ERBE, 2Slash, XO-1, Associated SC10FT, Frog, 5th Scale Titan, and a small air force.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/zaviac778

A RWD pan car would have less speed-robbing friction in the drivetrain.

And would be faster.

I realize you've already made the decision to go with the AWD layout... just pointing out that you're using a decent amount of your available power to overcome more friction in the myriad belts and gears than you'd have in a RWD with only a pinion and a spur.

You can reduce some drag by removing the areas shown in light blue here... I can see where your rear posts are... you could leave a 3/8 - 1/2 inch wide area directly behind each post... or perhaps reconfigure where your rear posts come through the body so you wouldn't have to leave any.

Last edited by NotWalkinBlind; 09-19-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Ok, the disadvantage to running 2WD is that its a whole lot less stable than a 4wd setup at high speeds

Micro got it. I am running it as is for now for stability reasons. If it feels solid I was going to experiment with removing the front driveline to see if I could pick up some MPH.

Nice, clean layout makes my super look ghetto. Is that a Fiegao motor? A couple of suggestions; replace those rear links. You can pick up alot of vibration if your tires are not balanced. Also HPI sold a handling kit with 0 degree hub carriers to take out the rear toe in.

I think your major hurdle will be tires. To hit 100 MPH, your talking 12,000/RPM at the wheels and I don't think HPI rubber is up to the task. You might want to run foams. Anyway good job and good luck .
    Last edited by TMS; 09-19-2005 at 10:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Yes, its a Fieago. I was considering the HPI handling kit, and may still pick one up. Tires are balanced.

I would like to use foams, but I can't seem to find any.

Here is a link:http://www.powerlineracing.com/newitems.htm. Scroll to the bottom of the page, but I don't know if they are still available.
    You might want to try nitro BSR tires: http://bsr.web-pros.com/cap/. The tires are capped and don't expand at high RPM's. This will change your rollout though since they are 1/10 size tires.

B.T.W. who took the pictures? looks professional.
    Last edited by TMS; 09-19-2005 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Link added

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

Pictures were taken by me in a temporary studio. I am a photographer.

I would agree that at those speeds you will proably want AWD. The only time you should wory about those extra few MPH is if it will win or lose you the comp. (If we have one) If not... you're better off having it a little easier to drive and knowing its going to survive. The same thing with removing parts of the body. You may gain 2 or 3 MPH but chances are it will be much less stable than having a nice channeled stream of air over the car.

Dan

Hey IV, i told you, im sure tony can hook you up with a MAD deal

That would really rock. I'll try to get you online.

Ok. Ill call tony and see waht he can do for you

Well, I was going to make a run, but the first thing that happened when I plugged it in was the motor shaft bent. I know, the mystery of the universe is easy compared to that one. Don't ask me how, because I don't really get it. I have ordered the same motor with a 5mm shaft though. Hopefully the weekend 1-2 I will have a run completed.

Just an update. I have more gears on the way, a Motor on the way, and some custom foams. I will be making a run this Friday.

Excellent!! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by elcid4300
    Excellent!! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Good luck

X2

foams arent here yet, extreamly pissed. I called tony's distributer, they said that it will be here monday. should be on your doorstep wenesday or thursday latest.