Notices

Thread: Your ISP

1. Your ISP 
    I've gone through about 4 Internet Service Providers that past few months trying to find one that I really like. My son got us permanently booted off AOL so I've been trying others. Go ahead and laugh as I did like AOL because I am kind of a computer idiot.
    Since then I tried People PC, mainly because I just happened to get a disc in the mail the day that AOL gave me the heave-ho. Not too bad but one thing not worth the money, I'll get to that later.
    Second, I tried Netscape, which I'm on right now. I got the full package including their Internet Accellerator. I keep getting knocked off it seems whenever I'm in the middle of something important. The mailbox is a pain to use. They have the very same phone numbers as AOL so you know that it's crowded here in town. Yeah, I'm on dial-up yet but my new 'puter is set up for better things.
    The 3rd is Net Zero 3-G, a little faster and not too bad to use. They say that they have "Instant On", translated into "If you leave your computer turned on and hooked up to us, you're on". DUH! Kind of funny, I've been getting dropped on there too at times but not as bad as the other ones plus their Internet Accellerator (3-G) seems to be faster.
    OK, back to those things. you pay extra for that "Feature" but I feel that even with AOL I had higher speeds, most are slower! Forget trying to upload pix with them turned on, it won't work.
    Anyway, my question is for those that still have dial-up, which service do you like and why?

For people who have dial-what?!? Is that still around? Ron, you live close enough to me, I'll run a cable over the fence to your house. Problem solved.

I could hook up to Charter if I wanted to. I think that it hooks directly up to my TV converter box. That would still be a long line from my house to yours! After going into Charter and seeing people returning their boxes and hearing the complaining I wonder if it is worth the hassle. Right now I'm on a free phone line so I am saving some money there.
    I called Netscape last week to drop their service because of the problems so they gave me 2 months free. They're gone after that.

I am having no problems with NetZero. I was shoping arround and went to people PC's site and was hit with Pop ups. That won't work. NetZero has been keen.

have had reasonably good luck(don't want to give it any ideas) with at&t worldnet($21.95 a month unlimited access). some of their offerings include; accellerator, pop-up stopper, spy sweeper, and mail is scanned for viruses. by default it uses 'outhouse express' for news and mail and configures it during installation. look for att.net if you want to look at them. good luck finding a new provider.

6. Earthlink Stinks 
    I was a 10 year customer with earthlink then I made a change to my package.

I had an issue with then double dipping on my credit card about two years ago so I converted my account to paper billing. That went fine for two years then I make a change to the account. They promised a new DSL modem then sent me a referbished one. I contacted them and they said no problem they would fix it 5 weeks went by nothing.

Sorry no record of that conversation they again said they would fix it. Another referb modem shows up. Steam now coming from the ears and they charged any charges to the credit card I that I told them not to use over two years ago. I disputed the charge on the card called earthlink and explained that they were not authorized to use that account and to remove the credit card from my account.

They claim they did and they would fix the modem issue. Well next months billing comes around I pay my bill via bill pay at the bank. "Still no Modem" Earthlinks also charges you quessed it the credit card that they said was removed from the account as well. I disputed the charge again while I was on a business trip they cut off my DSL account becuase I charged back from my card.

They appologized and said they would get it turned back on in THREE days. My wife runs her business from the house so three days is not good since this was there error. Sorry nothing we can do. Bye Bye earthlink I am using bellsouth now no hitches yet.

Ron have your guy next door set up a wireless and hook into that connection you could share the cost and the speed.

Those that have People PC and probably some others for that matter, decide to drop their service, get a confirmation number. I tried People PC a few years back and was only on a few minutes before deciding to drop it. They kept billing my account for several months afterwards. I called them and they have no recollections of anything being done or said and need that number to access any records. Get that number and hang into it! I keep a filebox next to my 'puter for such things.

had puter probs a while back... ended up with two accounts with att. closed out one account online w/o hassle(all I needed was the email address and email password for that account) was alot easier than getting rid of msn(whom I had to phone and argue with) they really don't like losing paying custumers

I used to use NetLink locally & really liked them until I got the cable modem.