Notices

Thread: Team Orion Goes Li-poly!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Schumacher
    EP racers will miss battery assembling/soldering and comm cutting in the near future.
    Not me!! These are some great looking batteries. I love the case, definately looks sturdy and will probably offer some good protection for the cells. Can't wait to try some

I'm surprised a number of people are not aware on the specifics around Brushless/LiPo technology revolving around rc cars yet alone the capabilities of sensorless/brushless technology.

I'm glad orion finally saw the light. I've been using Kokam 3200 (20C discharge continous) with a U-Force 75 sensorless esc and kontronik twist motor on a 1/10 touring car for the past year and a half. Given the 15-20min of hi-discharge and runtime per pack, the 45+ mph speed, smoothness and programming of the sensorless esc, weight etc.... Rest assured I will never go back to NiMh packs, brushed motors and/or esc's.

great to see the mass market manufacturing power of Orion stepping up now, they must have decided the time was right for them to get this tech ready for sale.

a departure from Orions ways for sure. I am sure with their R&D power we will see this technology pushed even further...and just looking at this pack I can imagine it already has!!

I was always worried about the unsteadiness i have seen from a few li-po users...but if Orion has jumped in they must think its a reliable choice especially for us car guys now.

cant wait to see the sure to come variations and configurations of these packs

Now this is nice! But will 7.4V a bit overkill for a ESC?

this looks nice, hopefully it will get more people into lipo's. the thing I want to know though is whats the C rating of these packs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Schumacher
    Wait... stick pack only? Can't fit it on my Losi XX-4, Schumacher CAT3000, Tamiya 414M2... which require saddle packs only. Also, it can't be accommodated on my Yokomo BC buggy because the chassis shape...
    nope no saddles...oh and the 414M2 can take a stick as long as you didn't cut the chassis out where the stick pack mount screws on to fit your saddle pack.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF TT-01
    Now this is nice! But will 7.4V a bit overkill for a ESC?
    Nope. A typical 6 cell pack is 7.2 volts. So the 7.4 volt lipos isn't that much of a difference, plus ESCs are overrated in their voltage and amperage handling capabilities (generally, but don't go running a 2 turn motor on a 12 turn ESC or anything like that ).

This looks interesting though. I like the idea of the plastic case as well. The added protection is probably a good thing the way some of us drive (including myself...)

These look very nice. Awsome capacity for an exact replacment size pack. Although 8000mah Li-po packs are avaliable they are a bit taller than a standard stick pack. I'm liking the plastic case as well, very nice. I just sure hope these wont be vaporware like the last time Orion tried to come out with something revolutionary (their BL system a few years back). It would be nice to see these avaliable for the spring! I'll definately be buying a few of them.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelNut
    ...I just sure hope these wont be vaporware like the last time Orion tried to come out with something revolutionary (their BL system a few years back)...
    That's actually out in Europe. They thought it wouldn't be powerful enough for us here in the states or something...lol! I dunno...go figure. It'd be nice if these came out around christmas time though.

I didn't know that, not powerful enough, lol. Must be pretty weak then....

well would it be fair to say that orion might be offering a li-po charger soon? this looks very cool. and by having this big name company offering these it should help put a spotlight on li-po's and im sure if this is as good as it all sounds Novak will be in wanting a piece of the pie. wonder if their working on micro packs like this?cuz that would be the coolest.
    stay classy

Oh... one more problem... since it's much lighter than Ni-cd and Ni-MH battery packs, it will create chassis balancing on some cars such as those touring car have battery cells on one side of the chassis. I can see some racers with these Li-poly packs will crazy about piling up a lot of lead weights on their chassis. Of course, these batteries still has a long way to be IFMAR approved.

Last edited by Mr. Schumacher; 11-03-2005 at 10:27 PM.

I have a vision. LiPo powered cars running in the same races as nitro cars. Who needs Ford vs. Chevy? We have Lipo vs. Nitro!

that's awesome!!!!!!

15. LiPoly 
    $199 is a joke, Li-Poly batteries dont cost that much.

Quote Originally Posted by graphiteman
    $199 is a joke, Li-Poly batteries dont cost that much.
    Of course they don't. That is the MSRP. Interesting first post Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricThunder
    That's actually out in Europe. They thought it wouldn't be powerful enough for us here in the states or something...lol! I dunno...go figure. It'd be nice if these came out around christmas time though.
    They will hit stores just before Christmas.

that is the SICKEST thing ive ever seen! Oh man id love one of those

Nice! No more foam around my packs. Big surprise, Team Orion not only comes out with a lipo but a hard case at that. I'll take two; one in Platinum one in Gold . Now they just have to put some + - symbols on it so a dummy like me won't plug it up backwards. Also $125 is a decent price to pay for 4800 mah.

They are going to also have gold ones? That would be awesome!

Holy....

*starts re-writting christmas list*

Quote Originally Posted by TMS
    ...Also $125 is a decent price to pay for 4800 mah.
    To me that is a bit pricey. I can buy (3) 3800mah matched packs for that price. I'll have 114,000mah instead of 4800mah. At first I didn't want Lipo b/c of the danger and the price. Now it's just the price, since they have all these cutoff devices. Most of you probably already have a Lipo charger, but I would have to buy the charger and the pack, when I can have 3 batteries and my charger can charge all of them at the same time. How much run time do you expect to get from this 4800mah pack?

Yes, I know it is the way of the future, but it just needs to be more affordable.

Give it a year - it'll be much more affordable as other manufacturers and matchers get into it!

I'm loving the 'digital watermarks' on the pictures! haha top notch!

Cut me some slack, all I have is "Paint"! --Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Frank McKinney
    I'm loving the 'digital watermarks' on the pictures! haha top notch!
    What, you never seen old school water marks? Where you scribble it down on a piece of paper, tape it to the pic, run it through the scanner and BAM!! OLD SCHOOL BABY!!

Quote Originally Posted by rckid11
    They are going to also have gold ones? That would be awesome!
    Gold ones? A gold brick on RC car??? Looks so heavy on the chassis... I think carbon graphite will be much better.