Notices

Thread: HUGE distance problem!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ron,
    The bouncing off the water thingy with 2.4 Ghz is one of those 'myth' thingys. RF propagation just doesn't happen that way. The 'Spektrum' will work as well with boats as it will with any other type of R/C radio band use. I brought up the 'binding' thing because of the reduced power aspect, which could possibly cause something in the nature of what's happening. And as I said on that post, it's not really a very likely possibility. Oh well, maybe we'll find out what the problem is when he solves it.
    - 'Doc

Here's another thing you might try. I once talked to a gasboater who cured a radio glitch problem by running a ground wire from the engine to the stuffing tube! He attached to one screw on the secondary coil and simply wrapped the stripped wire around the stuffing tube behind the connection between the engine and tube (soldering it might be an option as well). I know it sounds weird, but it's a quickie fix that might help.

RickE

Yeah, I have had issues with my spectrum, lack of range-then going into failsafe......
    I tried 3 different receivers, 2 different transmitter modules, then went and got rid of my M8, and got a M11,

Same problems, Nitro boats, villian electric, Shockwave 55, brushless deep vee, all the same, go about 300 foot, and glitch, some days better than others.

I'm gonna try my buddies radio in mine and my spektrum in his. Just to weed out another possibility. I havent tried the sparkplug cap swap yet, but all the other boats run with it so I will assume its not the problem. I still may try another type soon. I am also going to try and ground everything to the engine. My stuffing tube should be already grounded to the engine though. It has a WHH clutch on it and its all bolted together from starter to tube. OK! Just a thought, and a convincing one, but if it was a flex shaft/stuffing tube problem and I have a clutch. When the boat came to a stop out of range, as soon as the drive shaft stopped I would regain control, which I don't. So now I will exclude any noise made by my hardware past the clutch. I am going to have to try A distance test with the engine off so i can weed out another theory. Be back l8r with the results.

Sorry, but I didn't get a chance to do any of the above. My buddy bought his boat off a guy on ebay who puts them together and sells them. What a poor job of assembly. He has been trying to get a good run out of his boat since the ice left without any luck. Always something goes wrong. When he fixes one problem another surfaces. Its a never ending job for him to weed out all the bad assembly problems. Anyway my hull is really getting the cr@p beatin out of it and so I started disassembling it tonight and found that my header and muffler are always in contact and rubbing. This may be the cause of my radio noise that is interfering with my signal. Will fix this prob and put all back to see if this solves the problem. Will be back to let you all know the outcome.

Chris

6. Angry  
    I was out at it today. Was a waste of time. Still no difference. What's even worse is that I did the range test on land with motor not running and I got the same results, with the spektrum. I did put a new digital Hitec servo in there that seemed to go haywire now and then, but I don't think it was the problem. I guess that new motor I have coming was a waste of $$ as well.
    gonna try the range test with my T-Maxx to see if I get the same results as the boat. It uses the same transmitter, but has its own receiver. I measured the distance in steps of approx 160 where mine are about 2.5 feet per which gives us approx 400'. That's 400' of wide open space, no obstructions or powerlines with the new Spektrum 2.4Ghz radio that claims no interference from engine noise and a range of up to 3000'. HMMMM. Mind you all, I don't get any better range with an AM or FM radio. I am ready to give up my gas boating hobby soon, if this goes unsolved.

Thanks all for the great solution possibilities!
    Chris

We're scratching our heads also. Have you consulted any of the big brains at radio service centers yet?

Chris,
    I don't think you should give it up, but you might put it on the shelf for a little while (while you're still looking for the 'cure'). They say knitting passes the time pretty well. ('They' are sometimes full of it too!) Good luck, and if/when you do find out the problem I/we would certainly appreciate knowing what it is/was.
    - 'Doc

Wow! Just read throught this post again since I last posted here. I have never found the problem and still have it. Haven't been using my boat much in the past couple of years. I am moving to a small town in north eastern Quebec, near NFLD. Lots of water around! Ocean is 100ft from my house and a few big ponds out back of town. I can't wait till next summer now. I was planning on putting the aircraft radio on it to see if i get the range I had on my first r/c boat I had. The shockwave air boat with a 46TG. It went far! out of site. I am gonna try my 7ch JR on it. Had a Futaba 2ch aircraft on the air boat back then. Still have that radio, but it doesn't have servo reversing switches so I don't like to use it on pre manufactured model where moving the servo is not an option. I could move the cable. What are the laws against using aircraft radios on land vehicles? Why are we not using them on land vehicles?

Wow its been a while....

Chris

No doubt Chris, great to see you. I'm out of touch with the boats as well though I still have a few. Maybe someone else will chime in that can assist with your issue. Take care & best regards buddy. -Jamie

So you've tried the original tx with a new rx, and a new tx with original rx. Correct? Have you tried the new tx and new rx together?

I'm still thinknig that it's the radio system. Spektrum has realized the problem (finally!) and has recently come out with a new receiver made for marine use.
    I've seen too many of the 2.4 Gig radio systems glitching except for the Futaba FASST including 2 Spektrum's on the same day and a Nomadio equipped boat that I drove recently.
    Check the spark plug also to see if it has an R on it which indicates a resistor plug. If not, get one.

Yes I have resistor plugs Ron. No i didn't swap rx with tx. I only have 1 of each. 1 am set, 1 fm set and 1 2.4GHz. spektrum Tad. Heard today that spektrum had issues with gasoline engines. Guy at hobby shop said he wouldn't sell a 2.4GHz to a guy to run on a gas boat. So when I get back east I am gonna take off the spektrum and put the FM back in it. No power lines anywhere near the place I will be running. Then if there is still no range I will be putting the A/C radio in the boat.

Chris

Hey Ron... The spektrum aircraft receivers look very similar to the marine receiver. Do you know if these 2 technologies are using the same principal? If so can I just buy and aircraft radio and receiver combo to run in my boat? Frequency and power are not an issue here where I am living now. I would be the only one in a 1000km radius with a radio like this. I am guessing there, may be even more!

There must be something inside that's different.
    It won't be the idea of nobody else being around you on 2.4 Gig as we've had the same situation here, not even a powerline nearby to interfere in a huge open park.

No I wasnt refering to that, I was refering to breakin air and ground radio laws. Using an aircraft radio on my boat. Was wondering if I just ordered the DX5e with receiver would I be getting the same tech as if it were the MR200 marine receiver except without the waterproofing?