Notices

Thread: Zeta ESC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Zeta ESC? 
    I bought this used 34 inch electric Hydroplane with the name LIQUI MOLY on it (typical Unlimited design, like Miss Bud) It has two Kyosho water cooled REV Super Max motors that seem to be in great shape (I fed them a 8.4 V 2500 NI-CD for about two seconds and they screamed out that high, almost turbo-jet sound that sounds so sweet in electrics).

My problem and question is about the ESC, it might say "ZETA" or Zeta in big leters, but the E, if it is an E, is made out to look like a speed image, having three horizontal lines (Z=ta , sorry, can't do three on keyboard) It is a silver colored/stainless steel box about 2" wide x 3" trall x 1 1/4 " deep. It has very small lettered "Product Design Inc" on the top of front the front and the usual aray of conections coming out of the right side. I also appears to supply the receiver with power instead of the seperate four cell AA holder.

I have tried about two hours a day for three days to find some info on it with no success!? I've done all kinds of searches for ESC and Zeta and Product Design Inc. and many other varriations of the same theme with no luck! CAN ANYBODY HELP THIS NEW MEMBER , it would be much appreciated. Although I beleive I can run tests on it and probably set it up correctly I really, really would like some info!?
    Thank you very much & God Bless , Steamboat

i did a little checking around. from what i gather, it sounds like a pricey high powered controller. it also appears to be old school. found the name mentioned around kyosho a few times, so i'm wondering if there is a link of some sort there. they may not be in business anymore, and if so, then you'll probably never see much info.

3. Cool  
    The PDI HydroZeta was a high-end ESC from the late 1980s/early 1990s. At a time when mechanical speed controlls ruled the "fast" electric scene, the HydroZeta was the ultimate hop-up. IIRC the HydroZeta was the high amp version, they made a Zeta control for cars.

I do not know when PDI ceased operations, but I don't remember seeing them advertised after about 1992. There is a reference below (in professor_griff's post), but PDI quit about the time the Internet took off so don't expect to find much information on-line.

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/a.../t-157662.html

there is nouthing to find on the internet I have tried off and on for over a year did you get the programing guide w/ it if it is like the turbozeta it has all these switches on it to change the power curve.

5. The Zeta ESC mystery 
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatDoc
    i did a little checking around. from what i gather, it sounds like a pricey high powered controller. it also appears to be old school. found the name mentioned around kyosho a few times, so i'm wondering if there is a link of some sort there. they may not be in business anymore, and if so, then you'll probably never see much info.
    Thanks BoatDoc, My searches have sugested the same thing, A high end (three or four hundred dollar item back then) I also found a link that said to ask mike about Zeta ESC click here, he can answer all your questions, but ofcourse the link was three years old and not active. It seems that Big RC trucks also used them. Maybe i can go that route and have some luck getting info. I havn't blown anything up yet, but regardless of the combinations of hook ups I use I still can't get the thing to work propery. Most times it blinks a red light three times and then transfers all the power of the batteries to the motors (the full proprotional radio has no effect durring this time). The receiver does get it's power through the Zeta ESC and works just fine on the steering rudder! I've switch Channel one and two with the stering line to make sure that the line to the ESC works. I still have a couple of things to try, I'llo let you know when and if I get the thing doing what it's suppose to!
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH, You have helped me feel at home here!

6. Thanks Fluid (Zeta ESC) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluid
    The PDI HydroZeta was a high-end ESC from the late 1980s/early 1990s. At a time when mechanical speed controlls ruled the "fast" electric scene, the HydroZeta was the ultimate hop-up. IIRC the HydroZeta was the high amp version, they made a Zeta control for cars.

I do not know when PDI ceased operations, but I don't remember seeing them advertised after about 1992. There is a reference below (in professor_griff's post), but PDI quit about the time the Internet took off so don't expect to find much information on-line.

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/a.../t-157662.html

Thanks Fluid I appreciate the effort!

7. Zeta (Turbo maybe?) 
    Quote Originally Posted by jck_ahk
    there is nouthing to find on the internet I have tried off and on for over a year did you get the programing guide w/ it if it is like the turbozeta it has all these switches on it to change the power curve.
    Hi Jck-ahk
    Hey! the Zeta does have the words Turbo above the Zeta name, it's so different in size and fonts it's hard to till if it's part of the name or not? This Zeta has no buttons or swicthes on it, it does have three sets of higher guage wires and two sets of thin wires (the thin ones are for the receiver's power and to activate the channel) THANKS ALOT for pointing that out, now i can spend another week searching through Tourbo Zeta ha ha
    no, really, thanks I may have luck in that direction.

take care, Steamboat

8. Exclamation  
    Here you go if you still need it or anybody else

Turbo Zeta ESC manual

i know, i know, this is an old thread. so i happen to have a PDI Zeta X-tra ESC. i think it will handle 36 cells if memory serves me correctly. i also know i have the programming box and manual, but for the life of me i cannot find them.

does anyone know what the programming box does to program the ESC? what i mean is, it is only a box with 7 or 8 DIP switches. i'm guessing it is a simple binary programmer, but i am not sure what voltages it uses to program the ESC, or if the ESC provides the power. if someone has one of these and isn't afraid to open the programming box, could you tell me what is in it?

and yes, it was expensive 15 or 16 years ago when i picked it up (some crazy amount like $250 or something). the Zeta X-tra is forward only, hence the reason it can handle more cells than the standard Zeta. i'm sure one of you "old school" fellows must have one of these. otherwise i will be spending the next month tearing my house apart looking for the programming box.

andy b.

WOW this is an old thread. I used to have a turbo Zeta, it was a reversing esc, that could handel 36 cells, and up to 4 any size motors. It was also water tight so you could run this thing under water and never harm the esc.

PTI was the manufactuer, ufortionalty they are no longer around. They made some truely amazing r/c stuff. I beleave PTI stood for Progrssive Technoligies Inc. AS far as programing I think you proramed it through the battery pack. you had to conect the hand held programer to the esc, then turn the esc on. after that you had to go through the options turning on and off functions. after each option was programed an L.E.D. would light up to let you know that, that function has been set.

11. Thumbs down Pdi Zeta Esc 
    I also have a ZETA esc in my Clodbuster RC truck. Has anyone found new information on these speed controls?

Quote Originally Posted by BigNinja View Post
    I also have a ZETA esc in my Clodbuster RC truck. Has anyone found new information on these speed controls?
    Ditto here. There's one in my old Clodbuster too.

no new info, other than the fact i DID tear my house apart for months and finally found the programming box. you pretty much need it to program the thing. although, all of the boxes look the same, so if you find one on ebay with the programming box, you can buy it just for the box.

also, after several years you may need to open the ESC to replace a battery in it. it is like the battery on your PC motherboard in that it just supplies power for a small memory to remember the settings you programmed. i wouldn't open it though unless you confirm the battery is dead and the memory isn't holding your settings.

andy b.

Thanks Andy..Didn't know there was a battery inside. I'll have to get to work and find the programming box. I know it has to be around here somewhere.

15. Cool New life for PDI Turbo-Zeta in Rock Crawling? 
    Hi all,
    I have been doing the same search described in this ancient thread and have found next to nothing on the turbo zeta speed controller.
    I have one. I love it. I run mine in highly modified clods and usa-1's on freestyle monster truck courses with friends.
    It is far and away a million percent better than anything Novak has ever put out as far as speed controllers go.
    I have run it with 24 cells in parallel and 14 in series and the thing doesn't even get warm.
    I have recently built a truck for rock crawling (Ax10 Scorpion) and would like to program the zeta for an easier power curve. The truck is stock at the moment, but that won't last long...
    I can't find the manual for the Turbo-Zeta or I would post it on one of my websites for you all to download. If anyone has a manual for these 20+ year old speed controllers that were -way- ahead of their time, please post it for all to share and with your permission, I'll put it up on one of my sites as well.
    ... wish some brainy mug would reverse engineer the thing and re-release it on the market. I'd buy two more!
    Cheer!
    Coda

Contact this guy & see if he will copy his manual for you.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664759

Quote Originally Posted by bugfanatic View Post
    Contact this guy & see if he will copy his manual for you.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664759
    Thank you! I have posted a note to the gentleman. Let's hope for the best!
    Coda

Quote Originally Posted by Coda View Post
    Thank you! I have posted a note to the gentleman. Let's hope for the best!
    Coda
    Coda,

check your email and reply back to me. i have an electronic copy i can email you.

andy b.

Got it!
    Thanks andy!

Andy..Any chance you send a copy to me? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jsears View Post
    Andy..Any chance you send a copy to me? Thanks
    check your email. you'll have to reply so i get your email addy to send it to you.

if anyone else wants a copy let me know. i actually found it online somewhere, but have no idea where.

andy b.

Thanks Andy. I have replied to you email. Your help is appreciated.
    Jim

23. Post  
    Quote Originally Posted by _andy_b View Post
    check your email. you'll have to reply so i get your email addy to send it to you.

if anyone else wants a copy let me know. i actually found it online somewhere, but have no idea where.

andy b.
    Hi guys,
    I have posted the manual on one of my websites. I don't know if it's ok to post links in here so the easiest way to find the manual is to put .com after the word "eytel" in the address bar of your browser. You will find a button on the main page there.
    Hope that helps the Turbo Zeta owners out there like me who couldn't find the manual for years!
    Happy racing,
    Coda

Sorry to bump this old thread but I felt it was important. Since my original link no longer works, here is the updated link to download the PDI Turbo Zeta manual.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XAPEQ4SU

Quote Originally Posted by LOWGEAR80 View Post
    Sorry to bump this old thread but I felt it was important. Since my original link no longer works, here is the updated link to download the PDI Turbo Zeta manual.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XAPEQ4SU
    so... is there a problem with downloading it from my site? I followed your megaupload link, just to see, and it took FOREVER to come up.
    As I stated in my prior post, I put the manual up on one of my websites. Just go to eytel dot com and click on the link to the manual. It will download in the blink of an eye.
    Coda