Notices

Thread: Pictures of My Entry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Craps
    I apoligize, I see where you signed on back in February. We are all friends here!
    There is nothin to be sorry about. Hopefully Ill post pictures of my car This Saturday or Sunday. My sister has my camera, because she is on a trip.

IBJAMIN
    That first go-kart racing picture looks like a 100cc stock Yamaha that the best ones maybe will have around 19hp and total weight was around 350 to 400 lbs. This car weighs around 90 lbs and has dyno numbers of a little over 35 hp, so you tell me what kind of top speed you think it will have?

I'm not trying to say your car is under powered only that at speeds above 150mph with a short wheelbase and high center of gravity strange things can happen one little twitch in the steering or a gust of wind and it can ruin your day.

please dont take my comments as negitive or putting your design down in any way you did a great job and from what I have seen and heard so far you have the best chance of winning this contest hands down good luck and I hope to see you in a couple of weeks.

Engine mounting will depend on what kind of motor mount you use, but it is designed to have a standard kart motor mounting rail spacing.

As far as money goes, e-mail serious offers only of at least 5 digits to be considered and I will deliver it to the track and hand you the radio with my full support for the contest and when it is over you take it and the radio home with alot of spare parts. Remember I am traveling from NC bringing almost everything with me to fix any problems that arrise.

E-mail me at crapsrc@netzero.com with serious offers only. I will answer any questions you have about it on here.

Thank you!

PS. The custom made chassis I will take $1,000 for it. It is just the bare frame and will need a few brackets welded on for throttle and servos.
    To bad I dont have $1000 in spare change. Because every penny to my name is being used for my car I am building right now.

Quote Originally Posted by IBJAMMIN
    I'm not trying to say your car is under powered only that at speeds above 150mph with a short wheelbase and high center of gravity strange things can happen one little twitch in the steering or a gust of wind and it can ruin your day.

please dont take my comments as negitive or putting your design down in any way you did a great job and from what I have seen and heard so far you have the best chance of winning this contest hands down good luck and I hope to see you in a couple of weeks.
    You say short wheelbase, but it is to the max from out to out of the rubber of 39" and the other inch is for to mount a larger rear tire going from the current 6.0 rubber to 10.0 wide rubber that will make it larger around. Wider rear rubber will make it harder to turn also and the adjustable front end geomentry has been adjusted to make it very hard to turn too that also makes it very hard and needing a big area to turn around too. With the 10.0 rubber it will be pushing the 40" max length rule. The wheelbase is as long as I can legally have.

Do you think the wind will affect my 90 lb car as much as it will say a 15 to 20 lb 1/10th to 1/8th scale size car??? A windy day will be to my advantage with this car.

I am really curious to see if somebody can make a smaller circumference size tire of foam or foam filled rubber survive very long above 100 mph???

I have spent more time on radio systems and servos than I have the car to keep the twitching and glitching to a minimum. This area is the most important part about the car and I have spent alot of time and research on this with alot of time on the phone to our friends on the other side of the Atlantic including alot of wasted time and money messing with the Spektrum system and talking to Horizon Hobby on the phone about it.

Holy Craps!

This is the first time I've seen this thread. Absolutely the best design I've seen. Way to go big guy!!!!

Please say you put a gyro in it....

-Duck.

Edit: Honestly I think that car is worthy of magazine coverage.
    Traxxas ERBE, 2Slash, XO-1, Associated SC10FT, Frog, 5th Scale Titan, and a small air force.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/zaviac778

Quote Originally Posted by ducati777
    Holy Craps!

This is the first time I've seen this thread. Absolutely the best design I've seen. Way to go big guy!!!!

Please say you put a gyro in it....

-Duck.

Edit: Honestly I think that car is worthy of magazine coverage.
    No Gyro in it!

You were the first to mention a superkart idea on the net and I used say to myself "will you please shut up" and read with a big smile on my face what I had on the drawing board already. I can tell you fitting a 250cc superkart motor with tranny, carbs and pipes will be very tight and as you can see a 125cc no tranny kart engine is a full plate with a custom made pipe to make it fit. I even thought of 2 125cc or even a couple of the old 150cc Komet B-Bomb motors that used to be plentiful but that is too much for the size of area you have to work with! You will get way out of proportion with the width of the chassis to fit or if it can even fit with the bigger stuff.

The main part of the car with motor/pipes/carb/clutch has been finished since January, it has taken me since then till last month to get the servos, servo linkages and radio systems worked out. It takes alot of servo to steer and pull the hydraulic brakes on the 90 lb beast. There was alot of bugs to work out with this and radio systems.
    Last edited by Craps; 07-05-2006 at 11:43 PM.

I just wonder if the event is even going to get covered at all by anybody! RC Car Action has had very little about it and finally put an entry form in the magazine the month of the event.

It would be nice to have the "Speed Channel" there along with "Inside RC" and "Your RC Hobby" with that Chris guy????

I have posted the picture with links to this site to help generate some interest on some other forums. This event could do alot for RC with the media.

I'm glad you remember that. I kept reading about people saying brushless this and .28 that, and I'm thinkin okay a good brushless setup is what, 3000 watts? A 125cc kart engine is tens of thousands of watts. I had this picture in my head and it looked a heck of a lot like your kart.

Thats so cool it weighs 90 lbs, I think thats going to be a big advantage. I've seen 10th scalers at speed and they get skittish. I was really hoping someone would step it up. If the rules allowed heavy duty components, it was just a matter of time till someone built it.

Really craps, I can't say enough. I hope your car gets a lot of exposure because its absolutely brilliant.
    Traxxas ERBE, 2Slash, XO-1, Associated SC10FT, Frog, 5th Scale Titan, and a small air force.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/zaviac778

Indubadibly.

Well, I doubt you care.

But that is a very impressive rig. Not only does it look clean, but its pretty simple yet very efficient.

I'm sure you've put more thought into this then I have, but maybe it would be wise to put a front lip on? Either way, I'm rooting for you on this one. I do admire your will to build something like this.

Craps, post pix of that sumbi+ch over in "General Discussion"...

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/f...play.php?f=216

...as well as a link to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NotWalkinBlind
    Craps, post pix of that sumbi+ch over in "General Discussion"...

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/f...play.php?f=216

...as well as a link to this thread.
    Done!

Let's crunch some numbers:

Based on .15 m^2 frontal area with a Cd of .5 and 35 hp. If you can get 30 hp to the wheels you could hit 175 MPH.

Give me tire diam. and RPM of peak hp and I can give you your final ratio.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonFreeman
    Let's crunch some numbers:

Based on .15 m^2 frontal area with a Cd of .5 and 35 hp. If you can get 30 hp to the wheels you could hit 175 MPH.

Give me tire diam. and RPM of peak hp and I can give you your final ratio.

Good luck.
    33 1/2" tire circumference
    13,600 rpm 35 hp
    2.87 gear ratio

Damn, you should be real close, I came up with 2.44:1.

If you don't hit 160, I'll be disappointed.

Craps,

have you done some high speed runs with this thing yet? if so, what did yuh reach? that thing looks amazing

Quote Originally Posted by GordonFreeman
    Damn, you should be real close, I came up with 2.44:1.

If you don't hit 160, I'll be disappointed.
    There is one important aspect of this entire event that you guys have not discussed very much and that is visual limits from a fixed position. This will limit how fast it goes because I believe it is capable of 180 to 200+ mph with a chase helicopter on the salt flats with a mile or 2 of track, but remember we have 1/4 of a mile or 1320 feet plus 2400 feet of runoff to use that is not quite 3/4 of mile total room to accelerate and deaccelerate. Have you guys looked at something 1/4 mile away and can tell how much a wheel is turned? I can tell you it is very very very very difficult even as big as my car is!

WOW, that is all I can say I cant belive what I just saw. That is a Monster, and should be on the Monster Garage show .

Looks awsome, at least the winner will look like an rc car rather than a rocket with wheels .

Have you though about using an inverted airfoil wing at the back instead of a flat sheet? You could get more down force for the same amount of drag. Another thing that should give you more speed would be putting cowlings over the wheels and at the back of the engine. But I think you will probably win with it just as it is anyway.

All you need now is a buggati veyron to sit in the passenger seat and follow it down the strip .

this is the first car ive seen craps build that isnt an Electric powered BL motor....im shocked!

Craps, great job on that car, i wish you the best of luck at the event. Can someone PLEASE take video of this car?

Crashed today at full speed. This car is not only fast it is tough too! The rear wing is junk, front wheel is bent, pulled 3 tires off the wheels, broke the steering servo and slung the pipe off, other than those things it very much in tact and will be ready to run tomorrow except for the rear wing.

Had to test today on a taxi way which is about like a 3 lane highway that is narrower than what I was testing on but had alot cleaner surface with more bite. The drag strip is going to be no cake walk and will require alot of skill keeping it off the walls.

Sorry no pics. Camera battery dead and don't have time to fool with it.

what speeds are you hitting if you dont mind me askin

well at least 120....

i wish i could build something like that its so cool

thats insane