Notices
 

Thread: Pictures of My Entry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 78
  1.  
    #51
    I dare anybody to post something that could challenge Craps car. C'mon, there ain't enough time to copy it.
     

  2.  
    #52
    Join Date
    11-05-2003
    Location
    Mt. Holly, NC
    Posts
    1,835
    Everything repaired except for building a wing. I have even made some improvements and freshed up the clutch and motor.
     

  3.  
    #53
    Join Date
    01-23-2006
    Posts
    1,926
    have you thought of using a sort of airplane wing flipped upside down to create downforce? this might give you the needed downforce and less aero drag
     

  4.  
    #54
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo
    have you thought of using a sort of airplane wing flipped upside down to create downforce? this might give you the needed downforce and less aero drag
    Is there an echo in here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jev
    Have you though about using an inverted airfoil wing at the back instead of a flat sheet? You could get more down force for the same amount of drag. Another thing that should give you more speed would be putting cowlings over the wheels and at the back of the engine. But I think you will probably win with it just as it is anyway.
     

  5.  
    #55
    Join Date
    01-23-2006
    Posts
    1,926
    woops....i actually did not see that post, my bad, but it is a good idea
     

  6.  
    #56
    Join Date
    11-05-2003
    Location
    Mt. Holly, NC
    Posts
    1,835
    Jev & Apollo
    What kind of cars are you guys bringing to the contest??
     

  7.  
    #57
    Join Date
    06-10-2002
    Location
    Crater #2, The Moon (California)
    Posts
    1,850
    dang dude, that thing is awsome. i cant believe it survived a tumble going 120, must be built well! althought it sounds like the rubber and that huge wing took the brunt of it. What is it like when you get on the throttle from a standstill? does it get going pretty quick or take forever to wind out and get in the powerful range of the ratio you're running? I was also curious if that ratio is practical for it to run sane speeds of under 60mph like a 1/10th touring car would? forgive the ignorance

    good job, looks great....good luck!
     

  8.  
    #58
    Join Date
    01-23-2006
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Craps
    Jev & Apollo
    What kind of cars are you guys bringing to the contest??
    nah im not bringing anything, i jsut have an RS4 which only radared at 47mph yesterday apparently my os isnt much of a revver

    oh and i read about you hitting 150, dude that is completely insane, is it all wheel drive, or rear wheel drive?
     

  9.  
    #59
    Join Date
    11-05-2003
    Location
    Mt. Holly, NC
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Figit090
    dang dude, that thing is awsome. i cant believe it survived a tumble going 120, must be built well! althought it sounds like the rubber and that huge wing took the brunt of it. What is it like when you get on the throttle from a standstill? does it get going pretty quick or take forever to wind out and get in the powerful range of the ratio you're running? I was also curious if that ratio is practical for it to run sane speeds of under 60mph like a 1/10th touring car would? forgive the ignorance

    good job, looks great....good luck!
    With the current gearing ratio and tire size, it takes around an 1/8th of mile to just come off the clutch that is around an estimated 70 to 80 mph when the thing jumps on the power with the pipe coming in and flying past me at the 1/4 mile mark to only shut it down before it gets to far down range.

    It could still be geared with a higher ratio to spin the tires off the line and still run around 100 mph top speed all with no tranny and only 2wd.
     

  10.  
    #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Craps
    Jev & Apollo
    What kind of cars are you guys bringing to the contest??
    It will be so fast you wont be able to see it, I don't think the timing equipment will be able to cope either. I've called it the invisible land rocket, I'll be controlling it via the internet from here in the uk .
     

  11.  
    #61
    Join Date
    06-10-2002
    Location
    Crater #2, The Moon (California)
    Posts
    1,850
    craps - insane. how did you get the speed reading, a friend standing down the track? I dont know how far to the side you can go before they are inaccurate but if its anywhere near the track i'd be a bit nervous being that guy...lol.
     

  12.  
    #62
    Join Date
    11-05-2003
    Location
    Mt. Holly, NC
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Figit090
    craps - insane. how did you get the speed reading, a friend standing down the track? I dont know how far to the side you can go before they are inaccurate but if its anywhere near the track i'd be a bit nervous being that guy...lol.
    On board data recorder and converting motor rpms, gear ratio and tire size to mph. In a way it is conservative due to tire size is sitting still and you know they grow larger as they spin faster, but also there maybe a minor amount of tire slippage too. So I know pretty close to what it can run. We had a cheap Bushnell radar gun that is not very accurate.

    My data recorder stores Cylinder head temperture and rpms with each time dated and stored away. It can give me a graph of an entire run. It is a MY-Chron4 data recorder from go-kart racing that is mounted on the car.
     

  13.  
    #63
    Join Date
    06-10-2002
    Location
    Crater #2, The Moon (California)
    Posts
    1,850
    awsome. what kind of radio are you using?
     

  14.  
    #64
    Join Date
    11-05-2003
    Location
    Mt. Holly, NC
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Figit090
    awsome. what kind of radio are you using?
    Futaba 3PK 75mhz
     

  15.  
    #65
    Join Date
    11-05-2003
    Location
    Mt. Holly, NC
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Craps View Post



    Needs to be painted!
    If anybody is interested, I just listed a rolling chassis with nose and wing including a spare chassis I had made on E-Bay. The auction ends around July 30th!

    Good luck to all my friends I met at last years event.
     

  16.  
    #66
    Join Date
    02-06-2006
    Location
    Brea, California
    Posts
    745
    Can you give me a link for it? Might want it for next years comp.lol.
     

  17.  
    #67
    Join Date
    11-05-2003
    Location
    Mt. Holly, NC
    Posts
    1,835
     

  18.  
    #68
    Join Date
    02-06-2006
    Location
    Brea, California
    Posts
    745
    Damn its the shipping that killed my dreams.
     

  19.  
    #69
    Join Date
    11-05-2003
    Location
    Mt. Holly, NC
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by fasterthanspeed View Post
    Damn its the shipping that killed my dreams.
    Mass produced roller go-kart chassis are well over $1,000 that are made in quanitities with custom made like this one even higher due to set up time for the oringinal jig to weld up. That is why I had 2 chassis made. The braking system is $270 alone with each of those Tonegawa servos over $225 each and the helicopter noses were a steal at $54 each.

    Good luck at this years event!!!!
     

  20.  
    #70
    At 65lbs and 35 HP = 0.54 hp/lb. Mine weighs in at 10lbs and has 7.5 hp = 0.75 hp/lb.

    Mine 4wd so can get the traction needed. I think I could give you a run for your money

    Its my first event and first fast RC car so am still on the learning curve. I hope to learn a lot by coming to the event.

    Cheers
     

  21.  
    #71
    Join Date
    11-05-2003
    Location
    Mt. Holly, NC
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlovering12345 View Post
    At 65lbs and 35 HP = 0.54 hp/lb. Mine weighs in at 10lbs and has 7.5 hp = 0.75 hp/lb.

    Mine 4wd so can get the traction needed. I think I could give you a run for your money

    Its my first event and first fast RC car so am still on the learning curve. I hope to learn a lot by coming to the event.

    Cheers
    Actually it was more like 90 lbs with motor on it, but you are forgetting all about the aero on it to see it lift and if the type of tires you use can survive the huge rpms for it to attain the speed you are after without failure.

    A go-kart has around 36" of roll out for every revolution of the tire compared to most 1/10th scale tires around 8 to 10" maybe.

    Good luck and don't get a headache working out all the variables involved to go fast.
     

  22.  
    #72
    Yeah I am concerned about the tyres. It doesn’t matter what diameter they are as the centrifugal force is the same for any size tyre at a given linier speed so its just if the tyre compound is strong enough to take it. I have the hardest compound foams I can find but really need some steel belted radials like yours only smaller

     

  23.  
    #73
    Join Date
    11-05-2003
    Location
    Mt. Holly, NC
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlovering12345 View Post
    Yeah I am concerned about the tyres. It doesn’t matter what diameter they are as the centrifugal force is the same for any size tyre at a given linier speed so its just if the tyre compound is strong enough to take it. I have the hardest compound foams I can find but really need some steel belted radials like yours only smaller

    Just keep in mind that the tremendous centrifugal force on those tires at the rpm needed to go 100 mph+ that even a very very small failure could lead to catastrophic results in the blink of an eye.
     

  24.  
    #74
    Join Date
    06-10-2002
    Location
    Crater #2, The Moon (California)
    Posts
    1,850
    i can just see one little wheel causing the whole car to explode

    what kinds of RC tires can actually obtain those speeds without ripping apart? really hard foam?
     

  25.  
    #75
    BSR make capped tyres for 1/10th cars that most guys use but he doesnt make 1/8th tyres. I have 45 shore foams to try but havent had them at speed yet
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •