Notices

Thread: Need motor Suggestions for New boat!!!

1. Need motor Suggestions for New boat!!! 
    Hey guys any suggestions on the fastest brushed or brushless setups that i may be able to use on this boat???
    Attached Images

20 inches long fiberglass body
    Attached Images

it looks like a tight fit inside that boat. what kind of cells do you want to use? the main reason i ask is the available space is kind of limited. what's your budget? from what i gather, it looks like you already have a brushed esc installed. i mean, if you want to be absolutely crazy, you could put in one of the smaller lehner's and a new esc, and something like the GP2200 for cells. but that could get expensive. it would probably scoot right along. best bet, IMO, is to put in a brushed motor, say 17 turns or so, and a set of 2200's. start with a small prop and work up. i've never played with a stepped mono before, so i'll stay away from telling about all the fun you'll have trying to find the correct CG. for today's power, a 20" boat is getting kinda small. my 21" mono can get pretty hairy sometimes with a "mild" brushless set up. at the Sardine Classic earlier this week i had to stay at about 3/4 throttle or less just to finish!!! still one my first heat though only nailed it once, and almost flipped.

This looks like a Proboat offering. Is it? While you could go with a brushless system like Novak has that uses the standard 540 type motors you will prolly want to stick with a 17-15 turn modified and see what happens. The ESC you have will handle about 50 amps and I think that its minimum turns is 15. That little 540 you pulled out of the boat would be great in a tug or cruise liner of about 40 inches + Like Boatdoc said start small work up and get a good CG first or you will be out swimming for your boat. (it is a good idea to have a tug out and around just incase you do flip so you can send it out ot pull your capsized boat back. If you want I can show you the setup I use to retrieve my Miss Elam Plus when she runs out of fuel)

Massey

thanks guys , i have two 6cell 3000mah batterys , would a 700size motor be way to big ?

a 700 and 12 cells will not be suited well to that boat.

so what would you install?

i also have a 3cell lipo battery 11.1 v 1100 mah would that work well in a boat

the ESC in your boat will take 12V max so 11V of LIPO batts would be fine. Again you will need to make sure you have a good CG to keep the boat from flipping over. lipos are alot lighter than the NiMH so be careful.

Massey

so i cant use 2 6 cell batteries together with this esc? And has ant one used lipo in boats themselves? Do you think would drain my 11.1v 1000mah quickly?

i don't know anything about lipo's, so i usually try not to answer questions about them. one problem i see though, is that the speed control you have probably doesn't have a cutoff value suitable for lipo's which means you can damage them.

2 6 cells will produce 14.4 V fully charged and your ESC is rated at 12V so no it is not a good idea. I may work for a while but it is going to really shorten the life of the ESC. If you run 10cells you will be fine but 12 is a little too much I think.

Massey

no room for 12 cells in that boat. it wouldn't be able to handle the power anyway. we have a 28" mono at the club on 12 cells and it won't stay on the water. it's also too much mass. 6 cells is the limit in a boat that size. a lot of racers are actually stepping up to 23 and 25 inch boats for 6 cells use because of the power. i had to run my 21" mono at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle just to finish the heats at the Sardine race. my setup is fairly mild due to the design of the hull, rough water at high speed is bad, so i have to keep my speed down to be able to run. stick with a 6 cell set up of some kind and you'll be happier...and so will that ESC.