Notices

Thread: 55" Dumas Scarab

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Weekends work.......part 3 
    Part 3.......

I was thinking and planning more about the exhaust on the boat. So I made a quick test of what I was thinking on my lathe. To check size and such against the boat (still up in the air on 2 or 4 exits tho) That will be determined if I figure anything out on the outdrive situation. Now the more I think about it the more I'd like 2 drives sticking off the rear of this boat (thanks everyone for your help in trying to track down another AMPS drive...or some other outdrive options)

I made this test piece out of steel, since I didn't have any aluminum on hand today. The final product would be aluminum. I also plan on the exhaust pipe inside being made out of copper tube. Which I made slide snuggly right over the inner flange of the test piece (I would plan on clamping it with a clamp also)
    Attached Images

This thing is rolling right along. folks should be keeping their eye on it. Hopefully you've got the day off and can work more on it.

Hey Paint-boy there is a AMPS outdrive on Ebay right now, just givin a heads up

4. outdrive search 
    SpeedyWho: Thanks I also noticed those drives on e-bay. And heard a story from another guy that e-mailed me (with 2 amps outdrives) that the guy on e-bay....is the owner of whatever is left of international hobbies?? I dunno about that, but I e-mailed him a couple questions anyways.

Also like mentioned above I have received an e-mail from a guy who has 2 amps drives (1 new and 1 used) but those along with every other amps drive I have seen are a little different than mine?? Meaning the lower skag is a different shape. On mine it is a nice wide angle towards the bottom (more scale) on the other drives I have seen its a sharp angle then a vertical drop? I'll attach a pic of mine next to the picture of the one for sale on e-bay.

I'd really have to have both drives looking exactly the same in order to follow thru with this. And honestly I like to looks of mine better.

I'll keep researching and looking tho!
    Attached Images

Oh yea yours is better just given a heads up. Yours looks more realistic, like a little Bravo One. Did you ever see the drives at MHZusa? Costly but very cool. I hope you come across what you need I'll keep an eye out for ya. I got a project just starting also, so I'm doin a lot of shoppin around

Last edited by bad_boy2085; 01-19-2007 at 04:06 PM.

thanks bad boy for the links....got some a few ideas I might incorporate into mine on that one link. That twin inline mill is nice.....but not for this project of mine. But I appreciate everyone looking and pointing me towards certain things! It ALL helps. Also the member with the 3 dumas boats....nice boats the dual outboards aren't my thing (not the most scale looking...and they are kinda large) I now think I have switched over even more and am going to try to get more scale details into my build (JUST NEED...that second outdrive tho!!)

Thanks Again

for amps drive, try Mat at Justaddwata@gaicom

blizard05 Thanks for the e-mail address. Doubledog sent me in that direction last week. I sent an e-mail off to that address but never received anything back?

I would like to find the stainless steel railing that goes down the center of the boat.

Bad boy 2085:

i think that railing that you are talking about was/is not supplied by Dumas if i remember correctly on mine at best they supplied a pc of s/s round stock and you had to make it and solder it together yourself. The plans that came with my Scarab were full size and you could use them to lay out the Bow Railing. I never did put one on mine.

12. stainless railings 
    dhaxt You are correct. Dumas sends with the kit two lengths of 3/32 s/s rod. From them you have to cut and bend the numerous pieces (on the full scale plans) and silver solder "hard solder" them together. Along with the bow railing there are 3 "grab" railings in the cockpit also. I plan on doing all these railings plus I have a couple other railings in mind to do also.

Attached are pictures of the s/s stock and the plans. (bow railing and grab railings)

I'm just taking a break from working on my scarab....gotta eat!! I'm just fiddling around with a couple small items today (making the windshield) I'll prolly take a couple shots of that....just for something to post on here later.

I'm holding off on doing any more bodywork and primer. Because if and when I get the second outdrive I'll have to fiberglass and redo the transom.
    Attached Images

13. Dash & Windshield 
    I decided today after getting the windshield made and in primer to add a bit more detail to the drivers side of the dash. By looking at a couple reference pictures (I've found the dumas dash by no surprise is way out of wack) So I couldn't get the dash to be exactly right...but it gives the illusion of the full scale dash. I made the dash out of balsa. I also plan on putting a steering wheel and a couple other items in to finish it off a bit more. (as of right now the dash and windshield are just in black primer)

Edit: Does anyone know if the bow railing s/s would be a sufficent antenna? If I attached the wire antenna from the rx to the stainless railing? Would I still get good range and reception?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by paint-boy; 01-20-2007 at 07:13 PM.

even through I'm not doing mine in scale I sure would like to have some for mine ...prefab....lol

Great work man

16. exhaust exits 
    Hey all,

I worked today on the windshield and interior some more (just sanding and priming a bit more)

I also got some aluminum this week so I was able to make 1 of my final exhaust exits (1 of 4) it turned out pretty decent I think. I buffed it up a bit on my buffing wheel, but I will get them all better before I mount them for good.

Also some good news (don't wanna jinx myself tho) but I made an agreement with a gentleman today on a new (not used) amps outdrive. Also included with the purchase is a used/wrecked one (the input or output shaft was bent) but the case and everything else is just fine. He figured I could use it for spare parts and what not. So I'll cross my fingers that everything goes fine and I'll have them in a week maybe!!
    Attached Images

i can't wait to see the finished product...

I have a set for mine but the one you made sure look good .
    How much for a set of four ?

Great job!

Thanks for the comment on the exhaust exit bad boy. I finished #2 after work tonight. That one went much quicker than #1 (it helped to know all my dimensions and such to copy) I'm sure #3 will be quicker yet...and #4 should be a breeze!! I'll keep good track of my time on #4 so I could come up with a possible price (Even tho I can already guess it's gonna be kinda crazy for 4 exits.....crazy $$ for such a small piece that is) But I'll still figure the prices out in the back of my head for ya.

20. more exhaust exits.... 
    Okay I got #3 and #4 cut tonight after work. I haven't "beveled" the ends of those yet, or sanded and buffed them.

But I did keep track of my time bad boy and I've got about an hour start to finish in each piece. BUT!! a bunch of this time is wasted time, due to the fact I started out with 1" solid aluminum round stock (I needed the 1" for another project coming up, so I figured for the little amount I needed for this project I'd just use 1" also) The widest point on these pieces is .750" (for the flange) So I had a bunch of time just turning it down to the starting point of .750" I'll still have some time in sanding and buffing the pieces also.
    I did do a search last night for "quad" exhaust tips for sale. There are a couple companies selling them at an average of $15 a piece. Which is pretty cheap....unless they aren't the style or sizes you need?
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by paint-boy
    SpeedyWho: Thanks I also noticed those drives on e-bay. And heard a story from another guy that e-mailed me (with 2 amps outdrives) that the guy on e-bay....is the owner of whatever is left of international hobbies?? I dunno about that, but I e-mailed him a couple questions anyways.

Also like mentioned above I have received an e-mail from a guy who has 2 amps drives (1 new and 1 used) but those along with every other amps drive I have seen are a little different than mine?? Meaning the lower skag is a different shape. On mine it is a nice wide angle towards the bottom (more scale) on the other drives I have seen its a sharp angle then a vertical drop? I'll attach a pic of mine next to the picture of the one for sale on e-bay.

I'd really have to have both drives looking exactly the same in order to follow thru with this. And honestly I like to looks of mine better.

I'll keep researching and looking tho!

Looking at your drive and the one from the ebay sale, it just looks like the bottom off your drive has been cut off creating the more scale appearence. would be easy enough to do with your skills!

22. transom shim 
    Well I haven't done anything on the scarab recently, because I'm waiting for the outdrives I purchased. Was hoping they would be here for the weekend so I could get some work done on the boat. But maybe things worked out for the better anyways....my wife hit a deer on Tuesday with her vehicle...so I guess I'll be repairing that this weekend instead (I say for the better, because if I would have the drives....I'd avoid fixing her car...then she'd get upset.... and then married guys you know the rest of the story!haha)

But I did find some time after work tonight to make a second transom shim for the amps outdrive. Neither of the drives I have coming, have the shim with them. So I made a matching one to the one I already have. (The shim is to get the outdrive at the right angle off the transom...obviously) See if you can tell which one I made. I'll give you a hint.....it's the shiny one (Being a hot rod builder, I tend to like shiny things)
    Attached Images

23. drives 
    Quote Originally Posted by paint-boy
    thanks bad boy for the links....got some a few ideas I might incorporate into mine on that one link. That twin inline mill is nice.....but not for this project of mine. But I appreciate everyone looking and pointing me towards certain things! It ALL helps. Also the member with the 3 dumas boats....nice boats the dual outboards aren't my thing (not the most scale looking...and they are kinda large) I now think I have switched over even more and am going to try to get more scale details into my build (JUST NEED...that second outdrive tho!!)

Thanks Again

Found one today
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5332015/tm.htm
    Don't know if its for sale

I think thats an rcm drive a guy on that board that goes by xxx.boatworks sells them. Not sure but I think there about $250.00 a shot. Its a lot like the MH$ drive but a heck of a lot cheaper and significantly less $$$ for shipping for sure!!!

25. 3 Drives 
    Hey Guys,

It's been a while since I've posted any updates. Mainly because.....I haven't looked at the boat in a couple weeks!haha BUT my two outdrives came today. (1 good, 1 junk) still have to make the "skag" the same on the two good ones. But I can now get started on mounting these on the boat. Will do that this weekend and post any progress or info.

Later
    Attached Images