Notices

Thread: No Dragsters?

1. No Dragsters? 
    I am working on a car for the challenge. My original intention was to build dragster, but everyone else seems to be using touring car bodies.

1. Are dragsters too unstable at high speeds?
    2. Is there enough room to achieve high speed?
    3. Or, is everyone just trying to follow what has already been proven successful?

I think number one is the biggest factor. Even though full size dragsters are (fairly) stable, when scaled down to fit into the size requirements the tiniest draft or bump will send it off course, or its wheels.

Thats what I was afraid of. We already have a lot of money invested, but we aren't at testing stages though. I guess we'll see what happens in the coming weeks.

Got any pics of it? There was one guy there with dragsters. He hit 98.3mph i think. His name on the forum is rainmantoo. He was a really good driver.
    Also they were thinking of doing it on an oval track.

All we have are parts at the moment. As soon as it is together, I will upload pics.

cool.
    I just contacted peterv today and he said itll probably be on fontana raceway. 1/4 mile drag strip.
    Are you building it with someone else?
    Can you take pics of the parts?

Hi Geken.......good to hear there will be more dragsters next year. My car did run 98 mph, but was very difficult to drive as it would spin the tires even at 90 mph if I pulled the throttle too quickly. I used "purple" compound in the rear tires & it was too hard (or the track was too slippery) for my setup. I ran the same Neu motor/ LiPo combination that Nic did, but obviously he could get the power to the ground much better.

Don't worry about space, we had a good 2000+ feet to run in.......if you needed it.

Pete was trying to promote "original" thinking and new designs for the competition. He hoped for more entries like the one entered by the famoso craps. I only raced my dragster because I race it monthly & it was easy to get ready......

Good luck with your car & I hope to see you in Fontana this summer.

Jim Schauer

Hey Rainmantoo, I thought you were running brushed. Didnt you have that old esc and you said it was older than me? It was kinda cool how you were able to go through those two foam blocks.

I think dragster could be the ecord setters. Big Jim, I recall your dragster looking like it got out of shape because of it's gumball rear tires growing too much. But on low-profile foams? Look out!

Take that with a grain of salt (or the whole shaker!) YOU'RE the drag expert, not me!

I had 2 dragsters at the race. The brushed motor car (on 12 NiMH cells) ran 88 mph but scattered a rear tire while still accelerating and barrell rolled its way down the track. I'm impressed that Nic solved the potential tire problem on his first LSR attempt. I've been chasing those problems for years.....

Those 2 foam blocks were to protect the sensors for the MPH traps & looked very close together from where I was standing 800' away (on the K-Rail). It was pure skill that I managed to weave between them without contact.......hah!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again, Jim

Man, I really wish I could get out to Cali to see next year's competition.

Hey Rainmantoo, you should get softer compound tires then get a tire lathe and narrow the tires to 1/8 inch thick. this way therell be less growth and less chance of tire failure.