Notices

Thread: Dremel bit to start a nitro?

1. Dremel bit to start a nitro? 
    Has anyone wondered/experimented with a rubber dremel bit that you could use to start a nitro? They make (I don't know the exact name) a tool that you hold and bump it against your flywheel to start up your nitro's.

But instead of having to buy the tool, I thought it would be cool to put a rubber wheel in my dremel and try it. Anyone done it?
    I got thinking about this today when I opened up my engine to clean my OWB to find that my owb had a crack all the way through it. Would of been nice to fire it up with the trusty dremel.

Dremels don't have anywhere near enough torque to start an r/c car unless you had a heavy enough wheel so that the inertia would spin it over for you.
    -Eric

Really? What rpms do the specific "tools" put out?

The issue isn't really RPM. It is the torque with a dremel it catches speed first but doesn't really need to take a significant load to cut when its spinning fast. To start a nitro engine though its pretty tough.
    Subaru's Pwn. Losi and the LST2 are Pwn. Monster GT is Pwn as well. Pwn3d! XD

I own the following vehicles as off 16/06/07:

Losi LST2 x2
    Monster GT
    Ofna Hyper 7 x3
    RC10GT
    Losi Aftershock
    Losi LST1

Note: 2 vehicles in my list are my friends.

I believe that the dremel tool is not capable of starting a nitro. my dremel tool operates at a verry high rpm and it would be real hard on the tool to use a big enough wheel to "bump" start your nitro engine,
    - but a hand held cordless drill would work. I have used one before. - i used a rollerblade wheel "chucked up" with a long bolt and nut and some washers, the wheel started up the engine a fiew times when I killed the pull start.

I think the 'tool' you are after is a starter box.
    I don't think the dremel would work unless you have it run through a reduction gearbox of somekind.

You can also bolt a very small bicycle to the ground upside-down and start cranking!
    I always wanted to do that...
    -Eric

overall a really bad idea. I would go with a ryobi drill (1300 rpm) and a tiger drive. Dremels do not have clutches thus if your motor gets stuck top-up (mid compression... there are about 100 terms for this) you can blow something. The idea with the drill you just set the clutch high enough to crank the engine. Ryobi drills are rather cheap - I just bought the drill, charger, circular saw, and 2 batteries, with a case, for 80 bucks from home depot. Tiger drives are probably around 20 and the hex for it another 10. You can probably get the whole setup with drill and drive for 50-70 bucks at most.

ya I know
    JUST CURIOUS as my owb shot and it got my thinking of a back up starting system