Notices

Thread: Winter builds.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Winter builds. 
    It must be time to start our winter builds up here in the Great White North as the orange construction cones are now off the highways.
    So, what are you going to work on this winter?
    Myself, I'm going over to the "Dark Side" and building a gas boat. I've got an American RC Boats Vee-Rod on the build table, just waiting for hardware to show up, most which show start showing up this week. It already has some Speedmaster parts hanging off the transom.
    Hopefully I'll have the money to work on a second one as I've always wanted a Cat and the only Cat action around here is with the gassers.
    The nitro burners are being unloaded but I might keep one around.
    I'm going to feel like a newbie again!

So, what are you up to?

Welcome to the darkside Ron, post up some pics the only Vee-rod I've seen is on Zacs site. I'm still working on an ez-vee (3 months), darn work keeps getting in the way but I am finally ready to drill some holes for hardware and then put on some paint. I will be running a stock zen 26 which seems to be all she can handle from the vids I've seen.
    For a winter project I'm not sure what to build I just bought a CY 27cc but haven't decided what hull to go for. I sure like the AC r42 but the first bizillion are going to Dom so it could be a long wait, perhaps an early or mid summer project . I think I just might do another woody over the winter maybe the Rocket or the Rivett.
    Anyway take care and post up some pics!

Ronny Boy & Ed...
    Good to see some life being tossed back into this place.

Ron moving over to gas & selling off the nitro? Did you just write that? I personally can't wait for the report on the new boat hitting the water.

Winter projects you say... I've got a gas Whiplash kit under the workbench waiting to get started on. Also have a new AM XXX that I won from a raffle. Don't have any plans for it and might wait till summer to sell it off.

Ordered a new Jeroen Tune pipe for the Team Pro a few days ago and waiting on it to arrive. It'll allow me to run a 90 degree header & still keep alot inside. Need to change out the Hanson pipe as its not coming on tune with the wrap forward header plus its too large (dia) to push any further out the back with the 90*.

Almost forgot about a new 6 cell rigger thats still hung up in the mail. Can't wait to try my hand at FE's and see how it goes.

Other than that, I'm going to wait a few weeks after last weekends events. Hope to stick with it and get cracking on the Whip. Always wanted a hydro and nows the time... just finding a place to run is the question.

ps,
    Hows the new toys coming along Ed? (Milling machine)

The boat is starting to come together a little at a time. Some more parts showed up Tuesday so I spent some time last night drilling a lot of holes for the trim tabs (4 of them) and the turn fin. Things are going to be tight on the transom and I still have to install 2 through-hull water line connectors that I got from Top Secret. I also got an IV bag kit and an ABC prop from Zac, won the bidding last night on eBay for a nice throttle assembly.

Ron, I've had some of Zac's bags for a few years now & just started using them a month ago. Simple, easy and make me wonder what took so long to use them. Might even trade out the tank in the TeamPro for a bag as well.

This place needs a jolt. After the last failed back up, its been dead.

winter build for next seasons heat race cat is already done and awaiting testing... in the south we dont get hard water in the winter
    Attached Images

The ponds are starting to skim over with ice now as we've had a lot of cold weather (and high winds) the past few days.
    It looks like sometime next week I'll be picking up a Sikk 27 modded by Bob Finn and possibly the exhaust system too. The seller made me a sweet deal and may be throwing in an older Offshore Model Boats Super-Cat hull that needs some TLC.

going to start a nitro outrigger as soon as it gets here.

I picked up the engine and hull today. The Sikk is sweet but it's going to have to wait for the spring thaw.
    The hull is in rough condition and in need of some serious TLC to whip it back into shape. This will be like one of those "Pimp My Ride" episodes on MTV2 but without the flat screen TV's in the headrests and blasting stereo system.

Ron, you've bought a SECOND gas boat? I think the world just skipped a rotation.

no, DD, it just skipped a months worth

Yeah, but I didn't go electric!
    No, I'm not putting down electric boats but they're just not my thing. I thought that it was time ot expand my horizons a little bit more and am finding that I'm starting to feel like a Noob again.

wow i never thought ron olson would feel like a newb.. been reading a ton of posts on here over the years and thats awesome.... good job man.. shoot some pics fo your current boats when you get a few.

johnny

Oh yeah, this is partially a whole new world for me. The basics are the same but now I'm learning more about props, gas engines and the few other things that make gas and nitro boats a little different.
    I've always wanted a Cat but I just don't see them raced around here except in the gas classes.
    What I'm going to this hull I'm not sure as I'll see how bad it is as I get to working on it. If it's way beyond what I can do with it for repairs then I'll find a good home for it with someone who can fix it up.
    It's fun being a Noob when I get into trying something that I haven't done before as it really keeps the interest up in this sport/hobby.

that is very true... im planning on starting running a nitro mono this summer... i really cant wait will be a fun addition to racing my elec offroad 1/10, unfortunatally idk of anyone in michigan that runs nitros so ill just be bashing mostly but these boats look sweet so thats fine with... est of luck to ya man.

johnny

I'm in Kalamazoo if that helps! I do know a lot of people all over the state. The eastern part has the most activity but we're working with an RC car club in Grand Rapids right now as they have a lake next to their building and want to get some boating going on up there.

yeah im just north of detroit but will be starting western in the fall... i gotta hook up with some guys and least go see what its all about this summer... sounds sweet man thanks

johnny

Go to the IMPBA website, www.impba.net and look up District 2. There is one club north of Detroit and one a little closer, the Ford Model Boat Club.
    WMU? It's on the west side of town and I'm just outside of the downtown area on the east side.

I may be slow in responding as it seems like Almost On Line is blocking notifications to this site.

i gotcha man thats cool... good talking to someone local... would love to see a big gas boat run some day thats awesome... any recomendations on nitro begginer hulls that are good? only things i really know of are the rtr's on tower hobbies and BBYracing other than that im not too familiar with boat hulls available... about 6 yars ago i had a electro vee i cut down and as a school project made a carbon version with it and put steps in it mostly for looks but that boat hauled... loved it but would rather start nitro now.

thanks man ttyl

johnny

Depends on several things. Do you want to race or just mess around? In this area you'll find if you want to race that a .21 outboard tunnel or mono is a good way to get your feet wet (pun kinda intended) as there are always those two classes at any race with good attendance.
    For messing around there are a lot of choices as the RTR's are really growing.
    I've got a Super-Vee 27 Nitro for sale and I'll make you a super-sweet deal if you want to pick it up. It's in the for sale forum now.

ill go check it out that sounds sweet man... yeah i wanna race a little at some point but i gotta play on the pond at first. so the supervee 27 isnt a race boat i take it... looks like good quality boat but yeah ive always wanted a outboard tunnel. are they hard to setup? otherwise yeah i was looking for a .21 mono to run around here.

johnny

The .21 OB tunnels are very easy to set up and run. The best one for the buck right now is Aquacraft's Top Speed 2 with an O.S. hung on it.
    Go to the Aquacraft site, http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/ and you can download the owners manual that shows you how easy it is.

sweet man thanks... shoot some pics of your gasser when you get a second...

johnny

OK but I have to take some first.
    The biggest hassle so far is trying to get a lousy radio box. Zac recommended using a slant top Aeromarine so that the pipe has room. Trying to get one has been a huge hassle so far. I'm so fed up right now that I'm ready to build my own.
    When you roll into town, give me a call. I'm in the phonebook. I know WMU a little as I worked there for a short time.
    Last edited by Ron Olson; 12-13-2007 at 02:07 AM.

Trying to upload some shots of the boat before I bought it..........
    it's the one on top.
    Attached Images