Notices

Thread: Winter builds.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    thats awesome....

johnny

The funny thing is that it isn't that color, it must be the light coming through his canopy that gives it the greenish tint. It's actually more of a glossy primer grey.
    I'm trying to think of a theme to go with the color but it's not easy.

isnt the grey going to be really hard to see though?

johnn

Can I play on this thread....?

Christmas Day, I'm finishing up a second workbench that will be mainly for my plan boats. Its really time to organize the shop much better.

Next, I'll start on a gas Whiplash kit and hopefully complete a gas airboat as well. The airboat has been under construction for the past year and its time to get crackin' on it.

Pics to follow & Merry Christmas. This was once the best boating forum around. Now I hardly visit. Maybe we can bring it back.

Jamie

i wish sooo bad i could afford a gas kit... those are absolutally nasty... ima start with a nitro though i believe. i have a 150$ gift cert to my lhs what you guys think i should buy to get started in nitro boating?

johny

John, it may be harder to see on the water, that's why I'll spiff it up some with bright colors.
    Jamie, sure, you can play in here too!
    The $150.00 gift certificate will come in handy so hang on to it for a little while until you see what you're going to need when you settle on what you want to start off with.
    If you still want to get something for eventually racing, I'm still thinkning that you might want to go with an outboard tunnel boat that is if you like them.
    There are plenty of videos online for just about any type of boat that may tickle your fancy.
    When you get into town, I'll only be about 4 miles away.

Winter builds...

Does a new work bench count? Its full lenght 11' x 30w & will hold a car

Still a lot more to do:

Add two full length shelves on the wall above the table. ----- Build shelves under one section of the table for my milling supplies & stock aluminum. --- add two more 3' lights in the ceiling over it --- & basically tidy up.

Would like to buy a new vise and some other goodies but for now, I just want to get the room organized.
    Attached Images

Posting these for a friend. I'm sure he'll chime in with the details
    Attached Images

thats hot.... how long and gas or nitro?

johnny

Thanks for posting those for me DD. This is my winter project, an older Aeromarine 50" Popeye/Procat. To give you a little history the cat was originally built some years ago ( before I got into boating )by a friend that I race with and had since changed hands several times around the state. I picked it up this past spring from a fellow at another club I race with, it was a good deal and I happened to have the cash on me so I couldnt resist. I am told that at one time this boat had a QD70 in it and knowing Mike Byers I dont dought it! My plans for the boat are'nt that wild but I do plan to put twin Zenoahs back in it, wether side by side or inline I havent decided yet. The hull itself is in pretty good shape for a boat this age only a few minor stress cracks here and there. The only thing I really see that will need attention is the stringers, they're fine structurally but have been swiss-cheesed at some point in time so I have decided to change them out. So far the biggest change I have made to the boat is in the hatch department, I swapped out the Procat hatch in favor of the new MTI hatch Remy and the guys are making for this hull now. I am now in the process of modifying the hatch by bringing the hump all the way out to the edges of the hull instead of stopping at the hatch opening and then I will be sectioning and extending the cockpit section of the hatch. The reason I am doing these mods is to bring the looks of the boat up to the newer versions of the full size MTI cats and also I have always thought that stopping the hump at the hatch opening on these boats looks kind of cheesy and incomplete. I will post more as progress is made.

Jeff Lee

Started using the new table.

Airboat project has been an idea for quite a while. Using scrap 1/4" ply and
    3mm for the sheeting. Engine is a Zenoah G23 with a pusher setup. Not going for any beauty awards, just something to hit the water & play.

Definitly going to need the bottom straightened out & filled

44L x 25W x 3.5 deep.
    Attached Images

Well, I see that you're not wasting any time putting that new workbench to use!
    Keep us up on the airboat project.
    Me, things are going slow again. I got tired of trying to get a radio box so I'm building my own. I'm at the point where I need something in order to do something else so the parts are piling up.

Ron, have you looked at the Dr Bucks radio boxes? I've become a fan of those screw on style.

I talked to Zac about them. They will fit but he doesn't like the hassle of having to move the pipe then undo all of those screws. It's kind of funny though as he sells them.
    He advised getting the slant top Aeromarine box so that the pipe will clear with no trouble but getting one isn't that easy, most people want you to place a big order.
    I had some lite ply laying around so I built one myself. A Dr. Buck's box still isn't out of the question yet.
    Jim Nissen used a box from the camping supplies area at Wal-mart. I looked there but seeing how it's not that time of year they didnt have much in stock and of course, not that box.

Yep, Yep & Yep.
    So what header are you planning on running? Sounds like its coming over the box 'eh? I'm running two of the Bucks boxes. The Team Pro is fine as the pipe runs along side. The cat has a 100 degree header but its easy to remove the rear mount screw & lift the pipe up to get to the box.

Aeromarine is Ok but they really need to step into the current century as you well know.

Zac is awesome. I just ordered more junk from him today for the airboat project and also a few spares.

Speaking of the airboat, Mr CajunGator & a few others told me the boat is a tad big. Gesh, & to think I was doing my homework with the plans but somehow wound up larger??? It'll be a fun boat hopefully.

Guess who else has several projects in the works?
    Just received a Sport 40 Whiplash yesterday, along with a 36" scratch 77 Atlas, and then there are all the rest of the scale boats. DD, wanna give me a hand?

HJ,
    I just responded to your other thread You've got more iron's in the fire than anyone I know. How about lets getting one in the water there Bud.

Brian actually sent me a Sport 20 or 40 mistakingly the first time. It was on its way to The Netherlands.

Either way, I've got a Gas Whip kit still in the box thats waiting for some love. Should be a fun project & I wish we were much closer to help out.

in the first pic i think you had a coon on your couch

A Hanson 2" band pipe came with the Sikk but need everything else to go in between. I'll probably be going with a 100 degree pipe. I just send Zac some money, tell him what I need and he sends it.
    I don't think that your airboat is too big. Warehouse Hobbies used to sell one many moon ago that was 24" x 48".

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledog View Post
    HJ,
    I just responded to your other thread You've got more iron's in the fire than anyone I know. How about lets getting one in the water there Bud.

Brian actually sent me a Sport 20 or 40 mistakingly the first time. It was on its way to The Netherlands.

Either way, I've got a Gas Whip kit still in the box thats waiting for some love. Should be a fun project & I wish we were much closer to help out.
    That's kinda the idea DD, and since I'm getting more toys for my garage, including a drum sander and dust collector, it will help due to less clean up time. My first project is going to be a rolling rack for some of the boats with a pegboard back for tool and material storage. Plan is for that to be build tommorrow if all goes right

Heres one I just finished painting for a customer. Its my second boat paint job.
    Ive done inside of lexan car bodies for 1.5 yrs

Before:

After:

I went and did it again. Took a little drive down to Fort Wayne this morning to see what they had at a swap meet. Bob Kensill was there with lots of goodies. I bought a mooded Zen for a song and got about 10 feet from his table with it when I got an offer for it too good to turn down. Went back and got a prop, 2 IV bags then before I left I asked Bob about a radio box. Ended up by buying the hull that the box was in for a C-note, a brand new Aeromarine Signature 57 in black gel coat!
    I have no idea what I'm going to do with it but couldn't pass up a bargain like that.
    Yup, I still need parts to finish the Vee-Rod with so I'll be tossing some more money Zac's way on Monday.

I'm waiting for my box of parts to show up Monday from Zac which should be great timing as I've got the week off.
    My order was delayed a little because of him moving into the new shop, weather problems there in Arkansas that caused a big power outage in the area so he just got power this past week and should have phone service soon. He called Wednesday apologizing for the delay and was packing things up while we talked.
    Oh yeah, I sent a check out today for a used Stryker Cat so that should also be arriving some time this week!

Let's see how your winter projects are coming along.

You're a typical rc'r for sure. Symptoms are as follows.... buy more & more but finish less & less.

I start a new job this week, live in a motel for a month, then move the family once the house is finished. THEN maybe the new shop will get put together. Seems at least another two to three months before I'll even begin to get back to the boats or planes.....

Sounds like the Dog is out of action for a while. That might give me a chance to get one on the water before he does