Notices

Thread: Winter builds.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Don't underestimate the `Dog, he'll be up to something again in no time.
    I got my box of goodies today! I'm going to be a thrashin' fool for the next couple of days between all of the other little things that I have to do.

OK, been doing that thrashin' thing before heading to Toledo Saturday AM for the big show.
    At times I feel that I'm making progress but it's all of the fitting then removing what I just fitted to do something else that had to be done to fit something else in. Got that? I just confused myself.
    Anyhoo, got a few shots today.........
    Attached Images

The boat has come along way since I shot those pictures. It was ready to hit the water until the pull-starter went while trying to fire it up for the first time.
    I got one from a LHS but it really cost me!
    Yesterday a little gift came in the mail, a starting pulley from Dave Marles at Prestwich so that's going on this weekend. I also have 2 of Andy Brown's new CNC'ed billet steel props on the way! I've seen 2 of his aluminum nitro props already and those things are too cool.
    More pix to come as soon as it gets ready to hit the pond and hopefully a video.

Nice Ron. Really a sweetheart of a build. Nothing fancy, just the standard stuff thats build to race. My style.

Been in the new house now for two weeks and boy what a headache. Never seen "Honey-do's" come down the pipe so often. Brother, this woman has me working. I've got a big interest in getting our yard in shape along with just getting the house in order. Don't even ask about my shop. Work tables were stipped down for the move and I've only got one put together so far. Obviously not a priority.

Boats... lets just say keep your eye open on the other forum for some deals. Have fathomed the idea of indoor flying.

Which site, you and I are all over the Internet! I'll find you.
    Oh boy, indoor flying huh? I tried the backyard flying stuff and found out that they crash about the same as the other planes that I've flown. I did pick up a heli at the Toledo show just for the heck of it and somehow that has managed to stay together for more than 30 seconds, amazing for someone that flies R/C lawn darts.
    It will have a little bling to it as soon as I can get with my sister to laser cut me a few decals but I'm not going to go crazy with it.

How much longer before we get some vid? This has been fun keeping up with.

*edit****
    Its Saturday morning and on the way out the door to buy some goodies for the garden. Need to put a coat of Formby's on a new kitchen table as well today. Now someone go run a boat for me will ya? I need a fix.

Last edited by Doubledog; 05-10-2008 at 04:03 AM.

Soon I hope. I took this weekend off from work as today my little boy turns 21 so there will be a party here. With tomorrow being Mother's Day I have to spend some time with the wife and my mom. The week after next is my best bet as I've got that week off so I'll have some time to get the fleet out.

Doubledog, now you know how I feel with the "honey do list". Now that you have your own house, you will never get to the end of it

OK, it's been a while since I last posted in here but the Vee-Rod has hit the water a few times. Last Saturday we ran for a while and I had some more expert help this time as Kevin Sheren and his wife made a visit and helped me out a lot. A bunch of adjustments plus one of Andy Brown's new CNC'ed props made a world of difference in the speed and handling.
    I've since gotten a gas Cat, a Falcon 41 with another Sikk 27 in it that was supposed to be about 90% (yeah, right....) done. That's now about ready to hit the water after spending most of the 4th in my basement doing a thrashing session. No pix of that yet but coming soon.
    Attached Images

This one isn't quite a winter build as most of it was done around the 4th of July weekend.
    After getting it I thought, ready to hit the water I drove 50 miles up to the club lake and the pull-starter wouldn't spin it over without skipping. Thinknig that is was another typical Sikk problem, when I got it home I replaced the starter with a Zen unit. Throwing the engine back in the boat it did the same thing so apart camr the motor again! Come to find out it was the dogs on the flywheel that were worn down.
    I had a starting pulley that I got from Dave Marles that I put on after turning it down a little. She fires up quickly now with a Sullivan Dynatron on 24 volts!
    I've got some shots but this site hasn't been accepting them for a few days now. I'll keep trying.

Learned a long time ago to not leave the house without a few extra starters. I was so desparate to run one day that after busting one, I pulled the cord out and wound it around the collet. Believe it or not that booger fired up, tossed it in and then stalled out. Twenty more tries, I gave up. Mental note taken.

Seeing how I'm having trouble uploading shots in here, I have a link to my boats, http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...icture0090.jpg .

Looking good buddy. Funny how this is a winter build thread and its almost fall. LOL. Still a good one none the less. Who know what will come out of my basement this year...

There probably won't be anything new coming out of the dungeon this coming winter though, maybe just some reworking done of what I already have. OK, that's what I'm saying now but it might be another story when cabin fever sets in. My kid wants dad to build him something to race.

Updating.
    I got the Cat back on the water yeasterday after having a bad first outing. The CG was way too far forward so I had to move it back maybe 4" (!) as the person that started the build had the engine up near the front of the opening. While I was at it the boat got another easier to use radio system, reset the carb to what Carlo recommended and raised the strut. Walt Radsinski radared it at 49 MPH which I was happy with yet I know there's more speed to be had. If there was more time I would have liked to have tried some other props
    A video of the second run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIV8ByYhkwY

Oh yeah, I do have a project for this coming winter. Yesterday while at the lake a Sport 12 hull and hardware showed up. Glenn Quarles has proposed a Sport 12 hydro class so I got so enthused about it I'm going to build one before the class is even on the books.

I don't know if it still qualifies as winter yet as the weather has been really weird here, in the mid-70's Saturday and now back to morning snow but up to the 80's in a few days. It's 37 as I'm typing this.
    OK, to the boats. The Sport 12 hydro is almost ready to hit the water, a .12 mono rebuilt for the kid ot play with, 2 more gas mono's on the bench, a Lazer 45 and an Easy-vee which I spent that nice Saturday in the basement covering my fingers and clothing in epoxy and sawdust.
    When I fo to the Flint record trials on May 2nd, there will be yet another gas boat hull waiting for me, a Pro Cat which is the Canadian version of the Drag Cat.

Can't wait to see the Pro Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledog View Post
    Can't wait to see the Pro Cat.
    Me too! There was going to be 4 of them in our club alone but Tom Borisch sold his already. I don't think that he's got enough time to work on one right now, he just got a gas mono from Australia plus he's producing those monster Cat's now.

OK Jamie, I've been slowly working on the Pro Cat since I got it but was working a lot of OT but have this next week off. The seam needed some finishing work plus has to sand off some bad gel-coat. Now that I've got almost everything to build it with I'm going into the building marathon mode as I'm on vacation this coming week.
    Paint on yesterday, windshield paint going on in a little bit then clear-coating. I'm using an RCMK motor mount that will get glued in today and maybe hanging some Speedmaster hardware on the transom. In between time I'll try to catch the Indy 500 and the Coca-Cola 600.
    http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...=ProCat001.jpg

Love that color. Lime green is one of my fav's.

Here ya go Jamie and others, she's about ready to float! Sorry for the dark shots but I took them tonight between rainstorms.
    Does that pipe look familiar?
    Attached Images

Oh yeah. Rockin' brother. Hope that pipe works good for you. It never looked so good.

Here's the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MORxtvCBwXk . I really need to get a better camera for videos.
    The Lazer 45 had more teething problems that the Pro Cat. The rudder servo went south, had to put a new carb on it and had to make a ton of other adjustments.

Ron, where was the cartwheel? I expected to see it go end over end a few times. Don't let Missy see that or she might want one too

Didn't get enough speed out of it yet HJ! I had the strut kicked in a little also to help keep it from blowing off the water.
    I learned a lot in a short amount of time, the RCMK's do need small props to get them to wind up. Walt loaned me a 6717/3 cupped to 4.9" that seemed to be in the neighborhood. I've got a couple of props to buy before they hit the water again.
    Kevin Sheren showed up Sunday with a box full of boat goodies and grabbed up an aluminum Jeroen pipe from him. That's going on the Cat and the pipe that I got from Jamie is going on the Lazer 45 as that one needed a better pipe anyway.