Notices

Thread: RG-65 Sailboat Class Build Log

1. RG-65 Sailboat Class Build Log 
    In hopes of nuturing the expansion of the ever popular RG-65 class into the US and Canada, I have started a new build.

We have formed the first North American gathering spot for owners or for those interested in the RG-65. Visit my homepage for details and the link or send me a private message.

I am not sure if I can post the link here, may be a conflict of interest.
    Attached Images

The hull has progressed to the point they are being prepared to make a mold from.
    Attached Images

some more pictures.
    Those interested in getting into the newly forming RG65 class within the USA and Canada should take a look:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RG65SailboatsUS/
    Attached Images

Just need some warm weather so I can finish priming and spray painting the plugs. Once that's done, will start making the molds.
    Attached Images

5. Making my molds today 
    Here are some pictures
    Attached Images
    Last edited by PuddlePirate1; 04-06-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Here's the completed molds
    Attached Images

First lay-up curing in the molds. Will pop them out Monday and see what they look like.
    Attached Images

First hull pull from molds. The deck and hull have a combined weight of 11 oz.
    Attached Images

It was decided to eliminate the fiberglass deck for a balsa deck to keep the weight down. The first hull and deck lay-up weighed in at 11 oz. My current 3 polyester resin lay-ups of just the hull are down to 4 oz. And have made one hull from epoxy and it weighs 3 oz.

I have 4 hulls that are going through deckwork
    Attached Images

10. Starting on the keel box 
    Here's some pix
    Attached Images

That's a good project there. I'm somewhat old-fashioned it appears, I run a 50/800 sailboat on occasion. It's about twice as long as your RG65 so you need a somewhat larger vehicle for it. It's a Dumas "Bingo" that I built from a kit in 1979. I made a couple of changes, going with an aluminum mast instead of the wood spar it came with and cutting a hatch for access directly over the rudder being the two major changes from the original.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmsprt40 View Post
    That's a good project there. I'm somewhat old-fashioned it appears, I run a 50/800 sailboat on occasion. It's about twice as long as your RG65 so you need a somewhat larger vehicle for it. It's a Dumas "Bingo" that I built from a kit in 1979. I made a couple of changes, going with an aluminum mast instead of the wood spar it came with and cutting a hatch for access directly over the rudder being the two major changes from the original.
    Thanx for your comment. Maybe you need a smaller sailboat for that car of yours

I will be adding a small hatch over the rudder as well.

Just finished two keel boxes, since I only had two keels made.
    Attached Images

Beefed up the keel box on two of the hulls. Maybe a little overkill, maybe not.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by PuddlePirate1 View Post
    Thanx for your comment. Maybe you need a smaller sailboat for that car of yours
    I'm driving a Dodge Sprinter these days. The load floor is 14 feet long so finding room for a fleet of Marbleheaders probably wouldn't be much of a problem. If I had something like a Prius, that could be a problem.

Deck on, stained, epoxy coated
    Attached Images

Hatch cover made..........

Still have to cut out of the deck a rudder access hatch. Going to make sure I pull out a scaple blade, much sharper than an axacto blade. The pc. cut out from the deck will go back on flush.
    Attached Images

Had some nice weather so, out came the cans of Krylon spray paint
    Attached Images

Deck was varnished with 7 coats. Just added the deck hardware and started working on the masts.
    Attached Images

Here's some more pix
    Attached Images

Finished up my rudder linkage today. Noticed a little bit of wiggle in the rudder post. Wasn't as stiff a liked. I did add braces on each side to stiffen it up. Next time around will make a rudderpost similar to the Jif.
    Attached Images

21. Time for some deck rigging. 
    Looks like everything is in the right places to function properly. Hoping on Sunday to make some more bowsies and make permanent rigging lines out of Stren Super Braid similar to Spider Wire and Fireline.
    Attached Images