mask: painters tape
    class:amateur
    Attached Images

Losi Micro T
    Dively liquid mask & Xacto knife
    Faskolors and AutoAir Paints
    Intermediate class

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure whoever judges this you take into consideration the SIZE of that little body right there!!!

body: protech 1:6 subaru impreza
    paint: solid white, satin black
    mask: own cutouts, own masking
    class: amateur

Cool, another Micro T! Dang, that's awesome! Nice work!

Body: Custom Works 1/10th Enforcer
    Chassis: Custom Works Enforcer GSX
    Paints: Parma FasKolor
    Mask: Masking Tape, Handcut vinyl, Stika cut vinyl, Free hand brush
    Class: Intermediate

Orange fuel line is a nice detail! Very complete package.

Contest Ends Monday Night!

Get your final entries in!

are we gonna have voting?i hope so,hehe!i like it being judged too but i prefer voting.let the members here decide!

I don't think I can create a poll.

If someone knows how to create polls, please send me a pm with the instructions. You may have to be a mod to do it.

i dropped woodman a Pm ,hopefully he cacn help with the whole poll thing!

Body; JConcepts Jato Body
    Paint used: Faskolors and Spaz Stix
    Mask: LM handcut
    Class entered: Pro

Body; JConcepts Kyosho RB5

Hope it's not too late...Hijacker said midnight Monday, but the thread says the 30th...

Body: Protoform Mazda 6 190mm
    Paints: Parma FasKolor FasWhite, Red, and Orange, Faspearl Silver and Charcoal, Fasflorescent Orange and Yellow, Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome
    Mask: BD's Liquid Mask
    Class: Intermediate

Last edited by SerpentKing101; 03-31-2008 at 02:51 PM.

Not too late. Nice job!

North Cakalacky!

A buddy of mine used to call it that all the time.

LOL.

Competition Closed!

Awesome entries from everyone!

The judges are as follows:

Amateur will be judged by davec-nitro-rs4
    Intermediate will be judged by Caci623
    Pro will be judged by AirBoston

The judges decisions will be final in this comp.

Good luck to all! Go to work judges! Review the scoring method at the beginning of the thread if you need, and if you look back to old comps from a couple years ago (end of '06 for sure) you will see examples of judged comps.

Chad

I'm on it for the Am's.

Let me start by saying this:
    Please take my comments as constructive criticism. If I point out why your car scored lower, it is solely so you can work on that aspect of your painting skills and technique. I have no personal reasons to prefer one job over another. SO here we go.

I looked for things that make one job better than another, strictly results. As Amateurs, it is hard to go for effects and details that are best painted with an airbrush, when all you have to work with is spray cans. So, careful preparation, proper masking technique, good design, and good color choices all factors into the scoring.

There were 12 cars in this month’s group. The results are:

12th – RcFreak – not sure about this entry Rc Freak, it’s an antique car and definitely has vintage interest, but the paint job is pretty well worn. Color choices are fine, but design is extremely basic. Not painting over the window, just by itself, would have given the job a better look.

11th – Fester#2 SSR – Fester, I like the color choices, and anyone who knows carbon fiber effect knows how hard it is to get sharp squares in rounded areas of the shell. Your CF colors and technique are great on this one. The flames need some practice on the design to get them smoother. The Chevy bowtie is a nice detail that adds to the design.

10th – 696 – The black and white job is very stark. Your masking is crisp and the car does have a good scale appearance. Again, a few more details, such as window trim masking, could have really moved this entry up in the ranks.

9th – Fester#3 – I love this car for one reason, and that is that you tried new things with it. The front area is sponge streaked (or the like) which is something I haven’t seen you try. Good job on that area. The design is the same as your other entry#1, and needs some tweaks. Colors are good, but the checkers feel too large for the body and some are wavy some are straight. Again, good CF work and varying in the shading.

8th – Fester#1 – This one feels like you best effort this month. The scheme has good colors and really pops. Again, the checkers need work, but you dropped some shading on there, which makes it better. Just work on making fainter shading passes with your AB. Window trims really would have set this one off, as well.

7th – Hypercar – Micro T, that was fun to cut wasn’t it?! I give you props on the difficulty for this one. Most people don’t know how hard it is to xacto a good curved line, let alone do it on a body that is only 4 inches long. Color choices are perfect, just as they are on Barney too. I like the tuner style stand-off wing. A simple pinstripe between the green and purple could have moved this job into maybe 4th place here…keep challenging your skills!

6th – Hillfinger#3 – Masking is well done on all of your jobs. This design doesn’t get it for me. The fades are hard to do with cans, but you did fine on it. The sparkle pinstripe feels out of place. The rear area is kind of lost on the car.

5th – Hillfinger#2 – Blue with stripes. I can see that there are multiple stripes on the hood and roof, but you didn’t showcase them? From what I can see, they look good, and don’t detract from the flow of the design. The sidepiped truck requires the cutaway shell, but pinstriping along that edge draws your eye to the wavy cutaway. You might want to blend it in with a design that uses silver in the back to camouflage the pipe?

4th – Hillfinger#1 – Flower Power lives! Great mask job and kudos for rattle-fading in most of the flowers, not easy. Colors are good and plenty. Interior decals of the critters add a nice detail as well. The black lower edge is much less distracting on this design and doesn’t compete with the flowers for attention. It’s a shame your one flower was positioned where the fuel cutout is located.

Now for the podium!

3rd place – Beno Monster Buggy – Perfect color combo’s. Good job keeping the masking line straight as you went from surface to surface…probably the hardest part of the Van Halen guitar look design. I hate to be a broken record, but window trims, dawg! C’mon, window trims!!

2nd place – OneO Chevy Pickup – Now this truck has lots to look at..fades, tone on tone greens, layered flames, WINDOW TRIMS, and more. I really like the green-white fade, and the layered flames. Both tough design elements to pull off. Your flames kind of got weak in the roof and bed areas, almost like you got tired of doing them. Some masking bleeds on the roof and hood edge, but otherwise a very solid paintjob! More flames and some shading and this might have been #1, but……

First Place goes to BashemSmashem and the NOW truggy – Although done with blue tape, this design creates rips with drop shadows very effectively. The placement of the design elements are well balanced with front, sides, and top all getting proper coverage. Window trims AND grill work and headlights, all painted…nice work for Am class! A good clean design without too much clutter. Well done.

Congrats to all entrants, and let's do it again next month!
    Keep on paintin' !!

Another thing I want to say:

I think the painters on this forums are among the most loyal and active bunch of iNet guys around.

I just scrolled through this thread and all but 4 of the posters are online right now! That says a lot about how you guys feel about your hobby/craft of RC and painting.

You are some of the very best!

21. Pro Class 
    1) Design: How well does the design fit/flow on the body? Is it visually appealing? How are the color choices? Originality does not count, but naturally something that every painter has done will not score as high as something unique and new.
    2) Execution: Regardless of how complex or difficult it is, how well is it executed? Are there paint bleeds? Are the lines straight (or correctly curved)? Are their obvious mistakes? Fingerprints in the paint or paint bleeds? How well executed are the fades and other basic painting techniques? etc.
    3) Difficulty: How hard was this body to paint? Is it one color? Is the entire thing 5mm checkers with 4 different colors in each square? Are the mask lines through difficult areas of the body (i.e., wing mounts or stadium truck beds)? It may be 2 colors, but is one marbled? Is one color a candy that requires a special backing technique? This is where experience as a painter helps the most.

6) CarbonMadness
    Class: Pro
    Body: Parma Cuda 200mm (for the TA class)
    Paint: Faskolor, and Createx
    Masking: Bob-D's hand cut
    Brush: Iwata HP-CR

Comments:
    It’s nice to something away from the norm. I like the mismatched body panels and junkyard markings. I may have to borrow those ideas on my next junker. I’d suggest watering down your paint more when doing the rust and also reference several photos. Take more time and really work on layering up the paint slowly. If you look back to my Tamiya Alfa Romeo, I scuffed the outside of the shell to remove the gloss. Having shiny rust doesn’t work. Keep working on it and stay out of the box you’re on the right track.

5) NeoNot
    Body; Losi Slider Late model for Losi Slider
    Paint used: Faskolors, Createx and SpazStix
    Mask: Dively LMF handcut and Vinyl

Comments:
    Lots going on here. Actually too much. There is just about every style of paint masking on this body. These dirt track cars have a lot of surface and it’s easy to get carried away. Try to stick with one style, maybe two of they work together.

4) caci623
    Body Proline 50's Truck
    Paint HOK Fascolor, Spaz
    Mask None, Blue painters tape!
    Class Pro

Comments:
    This is my kind of body! I love it. If this were a scale (Concours) competition, you’d be at the top of the list for sure. The wood grain is very well done and the truck as a whole looks very clean. Unfortunately the paint job is not complex enough for a best paint competition. The only execution flaw I see is on the rear windows where the paint lifted with the mask removal. If only the body had some old school pin stripping and window trim… Well done realistic body.

3) NeoNot
    Entry 2
    Body; J Concepts Illusion for Losi 8ight
    Paint used: Faskolors, Createx and SpazStix
    Mask: Dively LMF handcut and Vinyl

Comments:
    At first glance I loved this shell. The design is great and the masking looks tedious. I really struggled with where to place this paintjob. I really like the 8ight logo and stylized flames. The flowing dagger strokes in the flames and through out the blue is nice. The flaws are small but none the less present. I’d like to have seen slightly more visible and more consistent shadows. Some shadows are below and some are above. That’s the hard part with painting a body upside down. I also would have like to have seen the logo with a drop shadow. Great job the scheme as a whole; it works.

2) kustomgraphics
    Body; JConcepts Kyosho RB5

Comments:
    Interesting and original design. You consistently show great paint control and masking prowess. As to your usual showings, there are little no zero noticeable flaws. If I had to pick something negative, it would be the color combinations. I don’t know if it’s the combination of the barker red with the bright green or what, but something just strikes me as off. I really like the originality of this scheme. Very nice!

1) kustomgraphics
    Body; JConcepts Jato Body

Comments:
    Wow! Just wow. The color selection is terrific. The masking is great with no noticeable flaws. The paint job goes very nicely with the body. To pick something wrong with this paint job is difficult. IMO, this style is overdone now, but this one so clean, I can’t complain. Maybe the only area that could have been better is the blue fade over the silver in front. I would have likes this to be faded out more as it looks a bit tight and to a point distracting. Ok, I had to really struggle to find that. Great job!

Congrats to kustomgraphics for the best Pro paint. Great showing by all.

Thanks dave for judging the amature contest!great job!i know it wasnt easy.the ssr i did have issue with the paint.the bowtie came factory molded along with a "window" mask for it.i think my first entry was the best too but i wish you could have seen that second AE body in person.it was really nice!hehe!thanks!

INTERMEDIATE CLASS

7th) bfutura15
    Design 6
    Execution 9
    Difficulty 5
    Total 20
    This charger is very basic and straight forward. Although I put this in 7th place, it's a very solid piece. I like the CF on the hood, as it adds a little more than just the 2 colors. There's a minor bleed on the front bumper. Hood and roof trimmed nicely. Lime green color very solid and consistent. decals applied very professionally.

6th) bfutura15
    Design 7
    Execution 9
    Difficulty 6
    Total 22
    Very clean and crisp. It's a litte awkward where the blue ends by the window. The design on the hood has a different "feel" and look than on the side. The silver window trim works nicely with the over all design.I would suggest painting the roll bar silver to carry more color to the back of the car. Picture the red trim being maybe 1/2 as thick, I would give you a slimmer, sleaker look. Very solid but very simple. Your clearly ready to do some more complex designs. Great Job.

5th) dave-nitro-rs4
    Design)5
    Execution) 8
    Difficulty) 10
    Total) 23
    Wow! Free hand painting of the light blue is great. EXTREMELY complex design for a micro, probably to complex! Excellent executition however the colors clash!!! pink, orange, lime green, dark red! I had to get out a magnifying glass!!!

4th)mp3ranger
    Design)7
    Execution)7
    Difficulty)9
    Total) 23
    The black drop shadows are inconsistent, especially on the hood. The silver trim seperating the 3 different colors is a little awkward , doesn't flow smoothly. You have 3 different "color" areas, the red, orange and silver in the front. VERY FEW painters attempt to combine several shades of a color together, rather everyone just paints flat colors. When it works as in the red and orange areas it's very impressive. When it's a little off as in the front silver area, it looks like a big mistake. You've taken on things that most pros don't try, I like that. Just refine thing a bit.

3rd)waiknott
    Design)8
    Execution)8
    Difficulty)8
    Total 24
    This is a very complete unit. Everything matches and is color coordinated! The flat colors work well as a backdrop to highlight the Cat in a Hat! There are a few bleeding issues with the black free hand around the cat. Love the Home Depot orange! Very clean lines. Your very good at free handing and a nice balance with the more traditional body.

2nd) serpentking101
    Design)9
    Execution)7
    Difficulty)9
    Total 25
    Great color integration. The only weak area is the orange freehand drop shadow on the rear. Against a white background, it really stands out. On the hood of the body against a yellow background it doesn't stand out nearly as much. Painting free hand drop shadows is extremeny difficult and has zero margin for error. I spray onto the mask area or prepainted area and let the over spray become my shadow. This is the only issue in an other wise excellent body.

1st) davec-nitro-rs4
    Design)8
    Execution)9
    Difficulty)9
    Total 26
    Very solid design. The white drop shadows are VERY subtle, they almost go unnoticed! Rollbar is excellent and compliments the dark blue very well. Very nice blending within the flames. This is a very complete body with no obvious mistakes. great job!!! Congratts!!!
    Last edited by caci623; 04-03-2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling

congrats to all the winners and a thank you to the judges, i know it wasnt easy!

WOW ! WAY COOOOOL ! I cant belive I won !

Thanks guys !

Just bought a couple new body's for the next comp !