Notices

Thread: The Official 2008 WFRCCC Thread!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. The Official 2008 WFRCCC Thread! 
    George Gonzalez is handling the event this year, georgeg@airage.com.

It looks like we will have a venue change due to management changes at the California Speedway. But I'll let George give you the scoop!

Oooh oooh! Finally some news of some news!

Wot's the scoop y'all?

When might we know the new venue?

When??
    Where???
    Rules??
    Classes??
    Price???
    Times???
    Speed mesurement???

Come on guys, Its time to get things organised (yes we spell it with an S)

Weyyy! Good to hear that the US event is properly getting organised. Maybe we can get this event synchronised with the UK one now.

6. East Coast Venue Found! 
    Did a little work on my own contacting possible venues on the east coast. Just recieved this email from the Lehigh Valley Velodrome...

--------------------
    Hi Dan-

Please let me know a date for the possible rental for the radio controlled cars. Personally I think the venue would be ideal for such an event.

Thanks.

Marty Nothstein
    Executive VP
    Valley Preferred Cycling Center
    ---------------------

Lehigh Valley Velodrome pictures
    Lehigh Valley Velodrome Web Page
    Track Schedule

Okay Peter and George. Have the door open, now just have to pick up the ball and put on the finishing touches.

Dan Fischer
    Dan@KershawDesigns.com

A veledrome wont be any good for a speed event as its not long enough and has bends

I would suggest looking for a drag strip on an airfield and using the slowdon section that is usually 1/2 mile long

Cheers

I have to agree. If I had my choice, I'd rather a small drag strip or air strip to allow driver to just bury the throttle and feather the steering. But at this point, if this is the only way to hold the event I'd take it.

Quote Originally Posted by ajlovering12345 View Post
    A veledrome wont be any good for a speed event as its not long enough and has bends

I would suggest looking for a drag strip on an airfield and using the slowdon section that is usually 1/2 mile long

Cheers
    I agree. The Vegas or Miami locations are excellent for what we need done.

10. Possiible West Coast Location 
    George / Peter,

Did you guys ever contact Irwindale Speedway for your event?

http://www.toyotaspeedwayatirwindale.com/index.asp

Contact Info:
    http://www.toyotaspeedwayatirwindale.com/contact.asp

Irwindale, California 91706
    Tel: (626) 358-1100
    Fax: (626) 357-4227

Best of luck getting an answer!!

Quote Originally Posted by ajlovering12345 View Post
    Best of luck getting an answer!!
    An answer from Irwindale or an answer from George/Peter?

From George and Peter

14. Still working on a date 
    I apologize for keeping you in the dark about the date for the WFRCCC '08 event. The bottom line is that we do not have a date yet. Unfortunately the drag strip at California Speedway is now a separate entity from the main facility and oval race track. It is independently run and operated, and the folks that manage the drag strip are, well…Not very professional and extremely slow at retuning calls.

After over a month of leaving voicemail messages, I finally received a return call from Brian Geye who is the operations manager at California Speedway. That’s when I found out about the new arrangement. I found out that a woman by the name of Beth Rice is managing the drag strip, and I was given her phone number. It took over a month of leaving messages (to the point where their voicemail system filled with messages and wouldn’t take any more calls), before I finally got a return call from Beth (obviously she was sick of hearing my messages). We looked at the drag strip schedule together and came up with a tentative date of October 25th. Unfortunately we could not lock in that date because she has a training class in Las Vegas, and she wasn’t sure if she would be around that Saturday. She told me that she would check her schedule and get back to me in a couple of days. It has now been 3 weeks since I’ve spoken to her, and I have started leaving messages and practically begging her to return my call.

I have investigated other locations to have the event but none have panned out. Irwindale Speedway is too small, and the bicycle velodromes in southern California are too small as well. The drag strips in Pomona and Las Vegas are way too expensive, but we have a back up which is Formosa Drag Strip near Bakersfield. Formosa is kind of way out there, but they have a nice quarter mile strip and the facility has all of the elements that we need to hold the event.

I’m not the only one who has investigated other potential locations, Nic Case has been a tremendous help to me and he has spent many hours researching potential facilities as well. We both agree that the only facility that will work besides California Speedway is Formosa. I’m going to continue making calls to California Speedway and hopefully we’ll get the date within the next couple of weeks. If not, we’re going to proceed with our back up plan and work on a date to have the event at Formosa. Once again I apologize for the delays, but please rest assured that we are working diligently on this and we’ll have a date within a couple of weeks. Thank you!!

Awsome. Thanks George.
    Another place that comes to mind here in So. California is the old Tustin Marine air Base. I know Road & Track magazine does alot of their testing there. Have you or Nic researched there yet? If not, I could do some calling around.
    Let me know.

Thanks for the info George. The new management of the track sounds pretty poor. You would have thought they have a mobile number and an email address.

Let hope you get something soon

Cheers

Nice George. Have to say that, it seems the usual practice when there is some question of the final outcome of a big event like the WFRCCC is to keep people in the dark in the name of maintaining final say and a bullet proof image. REALLY nice to see someone who's willing to say, "We're not sure, but want to keep you as informed as possible.

Big thanks,

Dan

Thanks for understanding guys. We talked about the possibility of having the event at a marine base, airport or large parking lot, but the most inportant aspect of having an event like this is safety. Cement barriers are a must to protect the contestants, spectators and track crew; a runaway rc car traveling at triple digit speeds can cause a lot of damage and we don't want anyone getting hurt. Believe me, we looked into just about every other possible location to have this event, and a drag strip is the only way to go. One thing is for sure though, we're going to book a date for the '09 event at the same time, so we don't have this problem in the future. Let me know if you have any more questions or suggestions - I'm all ears.

Thanks George, this news is very welcome indeed! Any word on the 2008 rules/regs and vehicle classes?

One more thing. We decided to have the event later in the year - around october because it's just too hot in So Cal in the summer months and heat plays a big roll in how fast you can go. I'm sure those who attended the '07 event will agree. It was like 90 degrees or hotter and many of the contestents were having overheating issues. It should cool down to the low-to-mid seventies in October - perfect for a speed event.

Any chances of having the event at a half way point. Dallas should have a few places.

George. Are you willing to discuss the alignment of the class rules with the ones I have setup for the UK event in September?

Also I have tried to contact you regarding linking the 2 events so that they are not distictly seperate but part of a global speed event with pooled results. What do you think?

Cheers

ajlovering12345:
    Please send me the rules that you have set up for the UK event. I'd like to see what you've come up with. As far as linking the two events; that's not my call. I'll run it by my superiors, though.
    please send the info to my email address: georgeg@airage.com

Hi George.

Mail sent. As far as linking the events I would have thought there is a tentative link anyway as the world speed chamion has to beat the fastest speed set anywhere. The only problem we have is agreeing on a set of technical rules.

Let me know any suggestions you might have for class rules.

Cheers

George,

I'd really like to see this type of event in New England!

This track is perfect. http://www.newenglanddragway.com/html/home.php

They do all sorts of events.

Best Regards,
    Greg