Notices

Thread: Building an RC Dive Boat

1. Building an RC Dive Boat 
    I just started a new project, the Wendigo dive boat. The model is designed by Pat Tritle and it is the same boat we use in the summer when we go diving up in Kingston Ontario, canada. I know the owner and he has been letting us use is boat free for years, so I am building this scale boat to give to him this summer.
    GY
    Attached Images
    Favorite Quote: Passions once set in motion, move themselves... Unknown author.

The basic parts are lasercut and the chine and sheer are laminated from
    1/16" strips
    Attached Images

Pat Tritle designed this boat for a construction article in RCBM and it should be published in the next issue.

Here's the stern build up
    Attached Images

The bow section, the laminations will be sanded to fair into the keel line.

The lasercut parts are available from: http://www.manzanolaser.com/index.html

Pat's website is at:
    http://www.patscustom-models.com/

Pat's original build-along is at:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795470
    Attached Images

I saned the sheer to blend into the keel stem and added some support behind it
    Attached Images

sheeted the bottom with 1/32 inch ply
    Attached Images

The stern is built up and will be covered with the Expanded PVC plastic like the sides and deck
    Attached Images

The XPVC plastic is very easy to work with and glues easily. It is smooth and water proof. Saves a lot of finishing time. Just glue it to the framwork and sand to shape. It is 1mm thick
    Attached Images

Here's the sheeting on the stern. The side blocks in the corner help blend the hull shape nicely. Will have to seal the block also. The ply bottom sheets as well as the keel fin will be sealed and finished with FG cloth and resin
    Attached Images

at the front of the cabin opening combing the bass wood edge is angled in a three panel arrangement to match the shape of the front lower cabin housing, which is the area where you go below deck.
    Attached Images

started the prop shaft installation today. I used 3/16" OD brass tubing for the outer stuffing tube. There are 3 bushing tubes inside (one in the center and one at each end, to guide the 1/8-inch steel wire prop shaft.

The center bushing is soldered into place by first nicking the outer tube with the Moto-tool cutoff disc just enough to cut an opening for the solder to flow in. The outer two bushings protrude about 1/16" from the ends and the solder flowed around them. I use staybrite solder and a 50watt iron.
    Attached Images

The 3-blade brass prop is a left over from the parts drawer. It is slightly larger than 1.5 inches in diameter. The hub is threaded for a 4mm threaded shaft which is too big for the boat. To attach it to the 1/8-inch sttel shaft, I simply cut several keying cuts in the end of the shaft and then I glue the prop in place with JB Weld metal epoxy. This works great and produced a very sound and permanent bond.
    Attached Images

After using 20 minute epoxy to seal the stuffing tube into place in the keel, The motor will be glued into place with my favorite goop adhexive called PFM from Hobby Lobby. The Multiplex Speed 400 PerMax motor also comes from Hobby Lobby

To glue the tubin into place, I mixed up Bob Smith Industries 20-minute epoxy and poured it into the channel in the keel until it dripped out of the prop end. I then wrapped the end of the tube with tape and then inserted it and pushed it into the hull with a twisting motion until it was in place. I then taped the outer end to prevent the epoxy from dripping out and I poured the rest of the expoy into the hull to set the tube in place within the hull.
    Attached Images

Here's the prop and shaft in place. Next i have to get some 1/16-inch brass to make the rubber and pivot tube assembly.
    Attached Images

Found a few pictures of and from the full size Wendigo. I just love this boat. it is a hard working salvage vessle that makes an awesome dive boat. That's my wife Anita and daughter Rebecca suiting up for another dive while standing on the dive platform.
    Attached Images

Here's my rudder assembly. Basically the blade is made of .025 inch. brass sheet and it is soldered to a length of 1/8-inch brass rod, that slips into a 1/8-inch ID brass tube. This tube has a 3/16-inch Outside diameter and will be glued into the opening already formed in the aft portion of the keel. I simply used the same Stay-Brite solder and liquid flux I used to make the stuffing tube for the prop shaft.
    Attached Images

I made the tiller arm tonight. Basically I cut a slit into the side of a lock collar and soldered a brass arm to it.
    Attached Images

I drilled out the hole in the keel to fit the rudder tube. The tube is 3/16-inch in diameter and it is a tight fit so thin CA glue seals it in place.
    Attached Images

The rudder tiller slides through the tube and the tiller arm holds the rudder in place
    Attached Images

I mounted the rudder servo on a raised balsa plateform glued to the hull. I used PFM adhesive to hold the servo securely in place
    Attached Images

awesome build up more pics please

Will try to get more posted! Now that the weather is nicer, I find it harder and harder to get back into the workshop!
    GY

i know what you mean id rather be running a boat right now