Notices

Thread: Traxxas Slash Short Course Race Truck

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    I initially felt like ThunderTech was getting screwed over on this, but now not so much. You have to figure that their Pro2 was going to be an upscale, niche-market machine to begin with, just like the uber-Clods that the replica Monster Truck guys run. There's a segment for that kind of thing, but it's much smaller than what Traxxas is aiming for.

What the Slash does is bring a short-course replica to the public with good performance and relative ease of use to widen the market. Of note is that Traxxas is sponsoring actual CORR racers, much like they've done with the full-size T-Maxx monster. This is going to appeal to CORR/WSORR fans who aren't currently in R/C, and that makes the Slash and its configuration perfect for who it's aimed for. In actuallity, this might help sales of the TT Pro2 since folks who go online looking for info on the Slash may be directed in the TT's area instead (I wonder how many Savages and LSTs have been sold based on people looking for Maxxes).

Even saying that, there's obviously a lot of current R/C guys interested in the Slash. I think the main advantage it will have over the TT is that there will actually be people around with Slashes to race against. I'm hoping a track in my area runs a spec class for them, because that would finally get me out to the track instead of just bashing my bone-stock trucks.

I still like the TT Pro2, and think it's amazing looking, especially with the body off. But the Slash just has more options for someone like me who has to travel a ways just to find a track. I've got my $200 set aside for it.

BTW, I think the closer competition comes not from Losi's "We put flared fenders on our existing open-wheel truck" desert truck but rather from Robitronic's tempting nitro Trophy Truck.

well like I said, I'm not knocking the TT truck... I love the chassis design, and the suspension is super plush... But since there is no racing class set for these trucks and I would be just bashing with it, I'd rather spend half the price and get a truck that I can bash with at first, then maybe race with later when/ if classes start to form... And the Traxxas truck just LOOKS better out of the box, and I personally like scale vehicles.... And if they are raceable, that's a bonus....

And if the class takes off I may STILL get the tt truck... But if it doesn't, I'm not out as much money
    He who KNOWS he's stupid is actually kinda smart

Kyosho had the landmax and it's obvious by being discontinued it wasnt that popular. I Don't think there is enough market for a 1/8th scale based rally car. It can't do offroad and just like a 1/8th scale buggy and you could buy something else for an onroad car, even though it can do onroad it just wont be fun.

Sure the thought of 8 of them banging around a racetrack would be fun, but first you'd need 8 people to buy them (that goes for the slash too).

HPI's nitro rally got discontinued too, maybe the market will like cars that have little more offroad ability but still not be full on stadium truck.

I'm picturing the slash being a good base for a high powered brushless parking lot wheelie truck and general high speed basher truck rather than something to take to the track

I discussed a racing class with my LHS owner yesterday when i pre-ordered.

I think a spec class of these would be awesome, and i am pretty sure we will have one. As for the look, its nothing but hott.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatcm View Post
    Kyosho had the landmax and it's obvious by being discontinued it wasnt that popular.
    Oh my God! When did this happen? They're still advertising them on thier site and in the mags. Somebody better call and tell them.

Anyone want a used Rustler VXL, im sellin' it for $220 to buy this thing. RPM suspension and mounted anacondas are included with my truck. I'm not kidding, $220 for a used rustler vxl.

Quote Originally Posted by davewave649 View Post
    Anyone want a used Rustler VXL, im sellin' it for $220 to buy this thing. RPM suspension and mounted anacondas are included with my truck. I'm not kidding, $220 for a used rustler vxl.
    try the buy/sell/trade forum ...

What a truck. This thing looks sick. I'm debating on whether or not to get one. Nice work Traxxas.

9. Exclamation  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer001 View Post
    Oh my God! When did this happen? They're still advertising them on thier site and in the mags. Somebody better call and tell them.
    I checked their site and it was listed under on road. I guess I missed it the first time.

OMG that looks sweet............

WOW, thank you traxxas. Hope you have them ready for the RCX show.

This looks like a great new car and one that will do well. I think that someone needs to make a kit to turn a standard stadium truck into a truck like this. All you would need is suspension, wheels, tires and body for your AE or Losi truck and we could have a new class. The modified stadium trucks would be in a modified or pro class but I think you need that kind of class. That would make it easier for those guys to get in and more cars is better for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by davewave649 View Post

WHY? Keep the VXL. And all you need to convert a rustler to a SLASH is the following....

1- The wheel and Tire set
    2- The rear arms for the Slash (that are shorter than Pede and Rusty's)
    3- The rear Camber links (which are 39mm - same as the front of the other trucks)
    4- Body
    5- Body mounts (they will fit on the Rusty's shock mounts)
    6- the bumpers and nerf bars.
    7- the chassis and the braces (they look like straight from the Pede's)
    8- battery hold down and Rx box
    Possibly shorten the driveshafts a bit (because of the shorter a-arms) and possibly a few more screws
    That's it.

The only other differences are the electronics. The Slash uses the new 4ch Rx, the servo is the 2075 (a 2070 that is waterproofed) and the ESC is waterproofed.

Everything besides the above mentioned parts are interchangable from a Stampede or Rustler, which means not much more realstate taken up on the LHS walls.

Look at it this way, you would hate to loose the better VXL electronics only to realize the Slash needs to come in a VXL version.(which would be a likely release)

I bet around 50 bucks would convert the Stampede or Rustler to a Slash.
    Last edited by Ibjamn552; 04-14-2008 at 01:44 AM. Reason: added info...

I might consider converting my Pede to a Slash if it wasn't too complicated.

Personally, I wouldn't bother converting a Stampede or Rustler unless it was pretty much brand new. Don't forget that the Slash also includes Traxxas new and much better hex hardware and all-metal gears in the transmission. The Slash is also pretty inexpensive. By the time you got all the hardware and parts, you might not save enought to justify the time spent.
    Check out:
    http://rctruckstop.com
    https://facebook.com/rctruckstop

Quote Originally Posted by Ibjamn552 View Post
    WHY? Keep the VXL. And all you need to convert a rustler to a SLASH is the following....

1- The wheel and Tire set
    2- The rear arms for the Slash (that are shorter than Pede and Rusty's)
    3- The rear Camber links (which are 39mm - same as the front of the other trucks)
    4- Body
    5- Body mounts (they will fit on the Rusty's shock mounts)
    6- the bumpers and nerf bars.
    7- the chassis and the braces (they look like straight from the Pede's)
    8- battery hold down and Rx box
    Possibly shorten the driveshafts a bit (because of the shorter a-arms) and possibly a few more screws
    That's it.

The only other differences are the electronics. The Slash uses the new 4ch Rx, the servo is the 2075 (a 2070 that is waterproofed) and the ESC is waterproofed.

Everything besides the above mentioned parts are interchangable from a Stampede or Rustler, which means not much more realstate taken up on the LHS walls.

Look at it this way, you would hate to loose the better VXL electronics only to realize the Slash needs to come in a VXL version.(which would be a likely release)

I bet around 50 bucks would convert the Stampede or Rustler to a Slash.
    Wow, you're right. If you just buy the wheels & tires ($50 - $60), body ($25-$30), chassis set ($30), bumpers & nerf bars ($20 conservatively), and around $40 in other misc parts, you'll be well on your way to buildi... wait a second - that's around $150, not $50. Aren't people estimating that the street price for the Slash should be around $200?
    Hey, if you want a project, by all means, convert your Rustler (if it's even possible), but I wouldn't do it in the name of saving money. $200 for an RTR is well worth all that you get.

Quote Originally Posted by MattHiggins View Post
    It looks like most of the suspension upgrades from Traxxas, STRC, RPM, etc will work on the Slash.
    Hi Matt,

I think you're right! It sure looks like most of our existing option parts will bolt right on the Slash. What a great looking vehicle and really nice to see R/C heading back to being realistic again. Good job Traxxas!

I think it might be time for us to release our option parts in matching red to compliment the paint scheme on the Slash.

Steve Wang
    Team STRC

Quote Originally Posted by teamstrc View Post
    Hi Matt,

I think you're right! It sure looks like most of our existing option parts will bolt right on the Slash. What a great looking vehicle and really nice to see R/C heading back to being realistic again. Good job Traxxas!

I think it might be time for us to release our option parts in matching red to compliment the paint scheme on the Slash.

Steve Wang
    Team STRC

Hi Steve, yes red would be great! Another idea would be to make some aluminum bumpers and rollbars for the Slash.

Well, I wouldn't upgrade all the hardware and transmission and everything. I'm satisfied with that for now. I'd just change the minimum of parts. But yeah, that probably won't happen. My Stampede works well as a Stampede. It would be nicer to just get a Slash roller.

How is the traction with only 2wd...? Especially when people shoe horn a brushless into this.
    The only great hobby to be in.!

why traxxas didn't come out a 4wd? i think it will be better traction for rally. and, i'm waiting for they come out a nitro truggy or buggy.

I agree, it will make for a fun class on a smooth dirt track!

What!!!!! :0 that's awsome getting it. So getting it. Go taxxas. This is going to be way better then the rustler. What next a slash vxl. That would be awsome. When I get it, im going to put a mamba max in there. Awsome!!!!!!!! Prefect trophy truck

The more I look at this, the more I want to buy it, or build something similar. I keep looking at my franken-rusty and wheelie king, and crazy ideas start popping into my head
    Keeping your cars shiny side up is extremely overrated...

Mamba powered Slash
    Wheely King Crawler

Last edited by Ihaveaxrayt2r; 04-14-2008 at 03:24 PM.