Notices

Thread: airbrush cleaning and maintnance

1. airbrush cleaning and maintnance 
    how do people clean lube and maintain there airbrushes i usually spray water then a little fasklen and call it a day but i think i should do more
    i have a parma F1 double action airbrush

your suppsed to disemble it and clean everything but i am having probs with my f1 brush

I use this to clean the inside of my airbrush. Then i rinse off my kneedle. I let everything dry over night. Then i relube everything with super lube, specficialy designed lub for airbrushes.

For water base paints:

for general cleaning out between colors I rinse out the color cup wipe any excess paint out with my finger or a paper towel rinse until everything runs clear backflushing the brush a few times. then move on to the next color.

At the end of the day I tear down the brush to it's component parts and break out the cleaning brushes to get all the paint out of the areas you can't see. I use denatured alcohol to help break down any semi-dried paint residue just a quick spritz with a spray bottle and then pass the cleaning brush thru a few times rinse in clear water and repeat until you find no residue. Reassemble and relube using medea super lube on the needle and the trigger assembly and on all moving parts, a few drops go a very long way.

After a few bodies it's a good idea to soak your brush for an hour or two in auto-air restorer it will help dissolve any dried paint or residue that could possibly cause any problems and will also help extend the life of your o-rings. after a soak it's advised to rinse the brush in clear water to remove the oily residue of the auto-air restorer.

For solvent based paint:

For solvent based paints it's a little easier simply use either lacquer thinner or acetone to clean out the brush depending on what type of paint your using, between colors and also at the end of the day even still you will still leave some paint behind although very little so you will still need to break down your brush and clean with your cleaning brushes to get out any leftover paint residue then reassemble and relube.

where can i get the auto air stuff

i recently heard auto air is very sticky when using it.i believe you can get it from online or auto parts store

you can purchase auto air from several different places on-line, Locally I can find it my local craft store but the selection is a bit lacking.

www.coastairbrush.com
    www.dixieart.com
    www.bearair.com
    www.tcpglobal.com

those are just the ones of the top of my head all have been in business for some time and are very reputable over the years I've done business with them all at various times.

I just ordered more from dixieart. Free shipping on orders over $60, and they carry Iwata parts, which I needed as well!