Notices

Thread: pretty cool 8T........Respiro #34

1. pretty cool 8T........Respiro #34 
    So i used my Harbor freight airbrush to help out with this body. Man it's nice to have an extra airbrush. Surprisingly that airbrush spays small lines. The only problem is that it's a paint to clean. You literally have to disassemble the entire airbrush to clean it up. Now my Iwata is pretty easy to clean just one minute and your done.

About the body: THe rear is white but has a faschange pearl red glow to it. Then all the usually straight up colors. No crazy fades or anything. Just cut and spray, cut and spray

This body took me a good 4 hrs.
    Attached Images

sweet!resp,u used the double action1 from harbor freight?

Yes; at first i wasn't sure how it would work but it works perfectly well. It didn't have any issues with undiluted faskolor paints. I did have a hard time cleaning it though. I would recommend using some sort of lube on the kneedle and the cup to keep the paint from sticking. THe biggest difference between the HF airbrush and an Iwata is the chrome. Iwata has everything polished to a chrome shine. This allows for easy cleaning and the paint tends not to stick. Now with the HF brush the paint tends to stick because it's not polished. The alum, is slightly rough and thus has enough inperfections in the material that allows for adherence of the paint. Cleaning is a chore, so i've only been using it for one color. SO recently i've just been using it to spray black or white.

Oh, one more thing: the HF brush can easily shot straight small lines just like an Iwata. This is important when it comes to shadowing and such.

hey resp if you have a dremel and some mothers aluminum and mag wheel polish you can make the needle and the color cup shine and as much of the inside of the brush as you can get to I did mine and it makes a big difference.
    Still won't replace the Iwata but like you said having more then one brush is a great time saver.

So mothers aluminum and mag wheel polish is all i need??

That's what I used on mine and it helped out quite a bit.

to get to the tiny area inside the brush I just used a paper towel (aka shop rag) to pushed it in gently and worked that back and forth for a few minutes to polish the channel a bit could still use more work but it's alot better then it was.

the key is to go slow take your time with the polishing and it will reward you with better performance and less paint clinging to the inside of the brush.

Just make sure you clean out the polish real well.

Oh yea and when you polish the needle always have the dremel wheel spinning towards the point seems to allow the paint to flow better, that and if for some reason the needle slips it will fly away from you rather then into you.

LOL good point about the dremel wheel and needle direction. Are you using anything to protect the polished areas once done? I know some guys will polish stuff then use a wax or something to maintain it's shine.

no nothing at all anything else will just mess with the paint flow. Not really looking for a shine just a nice smooth surface. Even my Iwata needles get the polish treatment.

I just wipe it all down at the end of a painting session when everything is cleaned up I tend to repolish the needle about 1 - 2 times a year if it lasts that long.

cool thanks for the info i will be doing this ASAP