Notices

Thread: Converting RC10T3 to SC10

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Converting RC10T3 to SC10 
    Is it possible to convert a rc10t3 to a sc10? Has anyone ever tried this?

sure you can do anything with a creative mind and some time but the sc10 is based of the t4 so parts will not swap over

I don't think i will do it then.

you can't inlarge a few hinge pins holes to make the arms fit???

i was the first in my town to havea rc10T witha 6 gear tranny. most of the time the AE stuff can be retro moded to fit an older model.

take the truck to your LHS and see if you think its feasable
    i hope you do the project cause im takeing notes cause i got my 7 year old a t3 and she wants a 'off road truck like on speed chanel' the sc10 body will work just thinking the arms aon the t3 are way to long to fit the 2.2 hammers she has under the body

What about using B3 arms? How do they compare to sc10 arms?

Any progress on this? I have a T3 that I might try it on.

You won't be turning a T3 into an SC10, but I don't see why you couldn't turn a T3 into a short course truck.

I say do it!

-Eric

How about just trying to put on a set of SC10 wheels and tires and mod a SC10 body to fit.

Good point guys, that's kind of what I was thinking of doing.

Do SC10 wheels mount up the same way T3 wheels do? Any idea if the wheelbases are similiar? Body mounting may be another issue.

Thanks right, I forgot that the chassis is longer on the SC10. Sorry.

Well, I pulled the T3 out of the closet. Cleaned it up and took a good look at it. The front arms are swept back, so with a bit of tweaking, I was able to flip the front arms around, having them sweep forward. I also moved the rear wheels as far back as possible, using the spacers. This took my wheelbase from 11.4" to 12.5". Looks like the wheelbase of the SC10 is 12.9", so it should be close enough. I did have to remove the front body to swap the arms, so I will have to figure something out for that.

Can anyone confirm that SC10 / T4 wheels will work on the T3?

I haven't worked on it at all yet but I would like to.
    Good ideas Vmax911. Those tweaks will help.
    One problem will be the how wide the truck is unless the wheels fit inside the SC10 or other body. Can sombody confirm how the width of the SC10 and RC10T3 compare. I am think the T3 is wider than the SC10 but I am not sure. I was thinking that maybe the RC10B3 arms would be good to make the truck narrower if needed. I don't know if the B3 arms fit or are shorter though. If someone could tell me that would help a lot.
    I think SC10/T4 wheels will work on the T3. if they don't I think RPM has parts to make older RC10 type trucks use newer wheels. That should hopefully be no problem.
    I hope I am able to convert my old T3 to a short course truck. I wanted to do something besides just getting new electronics for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sebtown View Post
    I haven't worked on it at all yet but I would like to.
    Good ideas Vmax911. Those tweaks will help.
    One problem will be the how wide the truck is unless the wheels fit inside the SC10 or other body. Can sombody confirm how the width of the SC10 and RC10T3 compare. I am think the T3 is wider than the SC10 but I am not sure. I was thinking that maybe the RC10B3 arms would be good to make the truck narrower if needed. I don't know if the B3 arms fit or are shorter though. If someone could tell me that would help a lot.
    I think SC10/T4 wheels will work on the T3. if they don't I think RPM has parts to make older RC10 type trucks use newer wheels. That should hopefully be no problem.
    I hope I am able to convert my old T3 to a short course truck. I wanted to do something besides just getting new electronics for it.
    According to tower hobbies, front B3 arms ar 1/2" shorter than the front T3 arms. I'm not sure if the T3 is actually wider than the SC10, since the SC10 and the T4 share the same arms, and I am guessing that the T4 and T3 are similiar in width. I think any extra width may come from the offset od the T3 rims themselves.

I looked at the SC10 owners manual, and the bearing sizes for the front wheels are indeed the same between the T3 and SC10. Also, the nut size for the rear axle is the same. I'm pretty sure the SC10 wheels will fit the T3. In fact, I ordered a set off of eBay. When they come in I can measure the overall width and compare to an SC10 body.

Quote Originally Posted by Vmax911 View Post
    According to tower hobbies, front B3 arms ar 1/2" shorter than the front T3 arms. I'm not sure if the T3 is actually wider than the SC10, since the SC10 and the T4 share the same arms, and I am guessing that the T4 and T3 are similiar in width. I think any extra width may come from the offset od the T3 rims themselves.

I looked at the SC10 owners manual, and the bearing sizes for the front wheels are indeed the same between the T3 and SC10. Also, the nut size for the rear axle is the same. I'm pretty sure the SC10 wheels will fit the T3. In fact, I ordered a set off of eBay. When they come in I can measure the overall width and compare to an SC10 body.
    Awesome.

15. They fit! 
    Good news, the SC10 wheels are a direct fit! Looks like the width in the front is right around 11". I believe the SC10 Body is 11.5" wide, so it should fit. Wheelbase is right around 12.5", or maybe just a hair shorter. The swept forward arms make the front bumper useless, and I still need to find some way to mount a body. But so far, so good!

Does anyone have an SC10 body that they can measure the width on?
    Attached Images

Nice job Vmax911!

I need to get started working on mine. I need to go and get some parts from the hobby shop. I was thinking about how to mount the body but have not thought of anything yet. Maybe I will see something at the hobby shop that could work to mount the body. I would like to go to the hobby shop soon but I have no idea when I will be able to.

I got the front SC10 bumper and body mount to fit on the T3. The rear ones are goingto be more of a challenge since they are integrated into the gearbox on the SC10.
    Attached Images

Finally got the rear bumper on. Took some dremeling of the SC10 shock tower, and it only connects to the shock tower (not the tranny case like the SC10). But it seems somewhat stable, and looks pretty cool!
    Attached Images

Nice work!
    How does the SC10 body fit? Have you gotten yet?

I got the body in, haven't had a chance to paint and mount it yet. It will definitely fit. The chassis is a bit shorter than the SC10, so the front bumper won't stick out in front as much as I'd like though.

21. Thumbs up  
    This thread has made me sign up on this forum. I have a T3 that I raced for 5 years sitting in a box and a GT as well. It sound like a good way to recycle!
    Id like to know what the total cost was to convert compared to buying the new SC10 kit. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by 73cuda2 View Post
    This thread has made me sign up on this forum. I have a T3 that I raced for 5 years sitting in a box and a GT as well. It sound like a good way to recycle!
    Id like to know what the total cost was to convert compared to buying the new SC10 kit. Keep up the good work!
    I bought most everything new from eBay. I spent $29 on wheels and tires, $12 on bumpers, and $9 on shock towers and body mounts. The body was from another online source for $26. Then I had to pay shipping on top of that. So that's $76 +S/H.

Now the bumpers are totally for looks, and I'm pretty sure I could have fabricated other body mounts from left over parts. So I could have just done the wheels and body for $55 + S/H.

It's definetly cheaper than a new SC10, or even a used rolling chassis. But I am a bit concerned about breaking a T3 part and not being able to find a replacement. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks!, The cost is next to nothing compared to a new kit, I reversed my front arms and swaped the spacers to the front on the rear hubs so far.
    I had to replace the upper shock mounts with longer bolts because the shocks were binding at that angle. Ill keep an eye on e-bay for sc10 parts.

Yeah, I had to use longer shock mounting screws and some spacers to push them out farther. I also mounted the camber links to the front of the shock tower instead of behind it. If you do this, the ball studs may need to be spaced out with washers, in order to keep the ball end from hitting the stud when the wheels are turned full-lock and the suspension is compressed. My ball ends are made by RPM, so they are a bit thicker than the stock ones.

Post some pics if you can, I'd love to see your progress and compare notes!

Yep, I had to move ball studs also. I will post some pics soon, I want to get as far as you did first. My T3 is kind of thrashed ,but Im going to clean it up and rebuild the shocks. Im looking forward to seeing your truck with the new body on it.