Notices

Thread: December 2009 Best Paint Competition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. December 2009 Best Paint Competition 
    Best Paint Competition - December, 2009

This is it for 2009! Lets make it a good one!

The Best Paint Competition will be open for entries all month and will close on the last day of the month, at which point polls will be set up for voting in each class.

Restrictions: NONE

The best paint competition is an opportunity for people to express their unbounded imaginations on an R/C car body. Realism is not required. Let your imagination loose on a piece of plastic to create a work of art.

RULES for Best Paint competitions:

1) Any body may be submitted to the competition (Truck, buggy, touring car, etc).
    2) Any body submitted may NOT appear in another RCZone Paint Competition.
    3) Photo editing the pictures (other than cropping and adjusting brightness/contrast) is highly looked down upon and may result in disqualification.
    4) Anyone may enter a body (professional painters and Modelers are welcome!)
    5) Insulting entries or painters in any way will not be tolerated.
    6) Restrictions: NONE
    7) No limit on how many entries a person can make. Rule changed.
    8) Recommended 4 photos per entry are submitted.
    9) Cars must be painted within the last 6 months.
    10) Imagination is key and fun is a requirement.

Each submission must include the following:

Body and chassis manufacturer and size.
    Paint used.
    Masks used (hand or precut)
    Class entered

Failure to follow the rules or failure to submit the required information may result in a disqualification.

Classes of entry:

Pro – This class is for those of us who are truly the professionals, the guys who are sought out for their exceptional skill. If you make a sizeable yearly income from airbrushing car bodies or anything else, regardless if it is your full time job or not. If you paint a few bodies a month for local guys at the track or sell to a few people through the net you fall into the Intermediate class. If any one person wins 2 Intermediate class competitions they are moved up to the Pro class and people who have previously won 2 Pro classes are required to be in this level. I want this pro class to gather the best talent around to build their reputation (and customer base) and show off their skills.

Intermediate – If you paint or have painted for money, you must enter into the Intermediate class. If you have won 2 contests in the amateur category, you are automatically moved up to the intermediate class. If you’ve been painting for years (not for money) and people look at your work and say, “how’d you do that” or "holy crap, that’s awesome!”, then you belong in this category. This shouldn't be a guessing game.

Amateur – This class is designed for beginning to slightly below intermediate painters. If you have been painting RC bodies for several years and people ask you “how’d you do that” or “holy crap, that’s awesome! Do one for me”, then you don’t belong in this class. 90% of rattle can users qualify for this category. If you are confused, the masses will speak out and place you accordingly. Be honest with yourself and to your fellow painters.

The Competition will be voted on by everyone using one POLL for each class.

Things to think about when making your choice to vote for:

1) Design: How well does the design fit/flow on the body? Is it visually appealing? How are the color choices? Originality does not count, but naturally something that every painter has done will not score as high as something unique and new.

2) Execution: Regardless of how complex or difficult it is, how well is it executed? Are there paint bleeds? Are the lines straight (or correctly curved)? Are their obvious mistakes? Fingerprints in the paint or paint bleeds? How well executed are the fades and other basic painting techniques? etc.

3) Difficulty: How hard was this body to paint? Is it one color? Is the entire thing 5mm checkers with 4 different colors in each square? Are the mask lines through difficult areas of the body (i.e., wing mounts or stadium truck beds)? It may be 2 colors, but is one marbled? Is one color a candy that requires a special backing technique? This is where experience as a painter helps the most.

If contestants have problems, discrepancies, or disagreements with the competitions or other participants, contact Hijacker via PM. Do not post in this thread, it will be deleted.

Viewers of this competition are encouraged to comment. However, negative, derogatory, or inflammatory comments will not be tolerated. If a contestant makes the aforementioned comments, their entry will be disqualified. Additionally, they may not be permitted to enter the contests for a period not to exceed three months.

Let's show off your talents and above all, have fun. Let the competition begin!!

I'll start off this month's competition.

This is a pair of buggy bodies I did for a customer.

2wd and 4wd buggies.
    Fascolor and Spazstix paints used.
    Hand cut, vinyl and freehand.
    Pro Class.

2nd entry.

This one is for Airborn FX sponsored driver JP Richards, 2009 ROAR National Champion.

Fascolor and Spazstix paints used.
    Vinyl mask used for my logo on the side, the rest is hand cut with liquid mask.
    Pro Class.

Last edited by hijacker; 12-03-2009 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Cuz I cain't speel gud

sweet work!

I should have a few paint jobs to enter for the month!......

5. Revo Big Block with a burnin lid 
    Hi you all this is the first post ever on this site. I finally joined have been a dedicated reader of car action for a while. I am a off-road kinda guy but recently have started gettin in too designing lids for local's around here this one is the latest production. Check it and let me know whatcha think

Extended Revo w/ crowd pleaser lid
    Mach .26
    losi side pipe
    Etc.....

Cut vinyl mask w/ faskolor and alot of TLC

I dont do it for money but for fun and this is a 1 off
    Amateur??
    Attached Images

welcome to our crazy family!

Alright, this is my first ever paint competition entry, so here goes nothing.
    And this one has an interesting story behind it.

its gonna be a Proline Crown Pleazer 2.0 Muscle
    Generic Rattle cans (not rc stuff), and hand brushed stripe with a marble thing going on
    Yellow automotive masking tape
    Amature Class

It started as any other body, but I was impatient and to get ready for a race, I painted it using regular spraypaint and didnt scuff the body enough, but it turned out really nice, so then I mounted it and headed to the race. This is it in the first few pictures, the green ones.

Now when racing monster trucks, there are rolls and crashes pretty much inevitably, so the picture says it all, it flaked like no tomorrow. But it looked cool so I kept running it. This is the obvious half painted picture.

Then yesterday I was bored and inspired by all the hand painting looks last month, so I masked off the windows again and threw down some silver from a rattle can to get the result you see in the last pictures.

So it was an adventure, let me know what you think! yes, the body is beat up, its well used
    (and sorry, lots of pics, I love taking them!)

here is how it started-

After racing-

And now-

oh, and those stickers on top were for a tribute to a monster truck driver who passed away right before on of our shows, nothing to do with the body its self
    www.teamextremerc.com

9. Supra 
    Here is one of my bodies I have painted..

Body and chassis manufacturer and size: 1/28th Toyota Supra Radioshack Xmod (gen1)

Paint used: Testors enamel, Painted with airbrush and by hand

Masks used (hand or precut): Hand cut stencil plastic

Class entered: Amateur

10. '67 Mustang 
    And here is another one not to complicated, but looks nice none the less..

Body and chassis manufacturer and size: 1/28th 1967 Ford Mustang, Radioshack Xmod (gen1)

Paint used: Testors enamel, Painted with airbrush & Black Krylon Spraypaint.

Masks used (hand or precut): 3M Blue painters tape and automotive pinstripe

Class entered: Amateur

@LowSlide.. I'm thinkin that paint job is probably awesome but that picture is kinda blurry lol. You should up a diff pic, or maybe resize it that helped with the ones I just put up.
    Last edited by Conartis28; 12-07-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Conartis28 View Post
    @LowSlide.. I'm thinkin that paint job is probably awesome but that picture is kinda blurry lol. You should up a diff pic, or maybe resize it that helped with the ones I just put up.

I agree, the picture is bad. It looks like an all orange body with most of the paint flaked off.

If you can, try to upload a better one.

oh, quick question. can mine be two different entries, the green and the silver, or does it have to be one?

Team Associated TC5 1/10th
    DNA2
    I'm not sure what my painter, Jermey Griego, used but I know he airbrushed.
    Intermediate

Not entered. Awesome work, but it must be your own work. - Chad -
    Attached Images
    Last edited by hijacker; 12-10-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Acook, Are you saying you had someone paint this for you? I might be wrong, but i think this contest is for painters of RC bodies only.

Quote Originally Posted by asetech View Post
    Acook, Are you saying you had someone paint this for you? I might be wrong, but i think this contest is for painters of RC bodies only.
    You are correct. Acook, you can only enter what you painted not someone elses work. If the original painted is on the board he can enter it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acook View Post
    Team Associated TC5 1/10th
    DNA2
    I'm not sure what my painter, Jermey Griego, used but I know he airbrushed.
    Intermediate

17. Crowd pleaser REVO 
    Yeah I am going to get some more pics of my lid. It is a Lava pattern but none the less I will be getting some better pics of this one. Just hadnt had the time. Hopefully I will have the other 2 done that are in progress right now, by the end of the week... The weather has been ugly here so it will give me the time to do some creative body's. BTW the testors enamel jobs you got there are looking good. Truthfully I have used it in the past and never could get it to look right... WTG

yes it has to be your own work, not someone elses..its a very nice paint job though

Thanks man, yeah they were kinda weird, kept clogging the airbrush and stuff. I think they turned out awesome though. The Supra especially, its got a lite spray over it of a gold/brass mix and when the sun catches it its beautiful. I'm currently working on one more, its a TRX Slash body, so far it looks pretty cool.

It is my work and actually I would call it more along the lines of creation.... With the amount of time spent! I am downsizing pics now and will post 3 more-1 more front shot, other side and back. DO I GOTTA SIGN IT SO YOU KNOW ITS CUSTOM.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LowSlide View Post
    It is my work and actually I would call it more along the lines of creation.... With the amount of time spent! I am downsizing pics now and will post 3 more-1 more front shot, other side and back. DO I GOTTA SIGN IT SO YOU KNOW ITS CUSTOM.LOL

no we were talking about ACook's paint job , not yours....your good to go.

and, thanks for the large bold print....it helps us old guys read it easier.

Here is mine for this month .....

Body and chassis manufacturer and size- J Concepts Illuzion for the XRay 808
    Paint used- Pactra and Alclad color changing paint (copper red to green)
    Masks used- Parma Fasmask , hand drawn and cut
    Class entered-Amature

Nicely done, one of the few times I've seen the color shift paint used that doesn't make me wanna puke all over the keyboard

Thanks , it really pops in the sun and the main color is a little more reddish than it shows in the pics ....