Notices

Thread: Paint Comp Prizes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Paint Comp Prizes 
    It seems now that there will no longer be prizes awarded for the Best Paint Competitions. As you all probably know by now, after Paul Onorato left RCCA at the end of last year, the job of shipping the prizes to the winners was kind of lost in the shuffle.

Now, although there is one person who has been given the job of shipping the prizes the job seems to go undone, and emails I send unanswered.

So, it seems we will return to the way it used to be a few years ago, the award for winning the competition will be the reward of knowing our work was chosen the best for that month.

I will continue to post the competions each month and the polls for everyone to vote in, but I doubt there will be prizes from RCCA anymore.

I think that the majority of us enter our paint work for the enjoyment of showing it off to our peers and the fun of the competition and not in the hopes of winning a hat or t-shirt and some stickers. So i doubt this will really change anything.

Sorry everyone,

Chad

You can post a comment about this here, but try to keep it positive. I will remove any comments that are too negative, insulting or seem to be trying to start crap.

Being a non us member, I personally thing itīs ok that there are no more prizes.

Sure it sucks that those who allready have won donīt get theirs but from now on (if i were to win a comp at some point..) I would not feel like an outsider not being able to recieve the item iīve won, simply cous i live the wrong place.
    This not being a stab at what was, i realize shipping cost could be enormous..

Youre so right about the point that ppl post for the glory and not for the prize..

Actually, they did ship the prizes internationally.

But, I'm glad you see the real point of the competition.

Thanks!

4. Talking  
    I think the coolest was the letter one received in the mail stating they won. Yes, I still have both of mine :-D

As far as the job not being done.....well I know what would happen to me if I failed to act on one of my jobs.

Regardless, the comps are still going on, and its an awesome way to get critiqued. I do miss the days that the judge was the last winner of that class, and explained their rating. That pushed me to come up with better designs and ask artistic friends about color combos.

Quote Originally Posted by hijacker View Post
    Actually, they did ship the prizes internationally.

But, I'm glad you see the real point of the competition.

Thanks!
    Didīnt know that, honnestly havint read the comp rules as i havint painted anything the last five years so no point in that for me..

Quote Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
    I think the coolest was the letter one received in the mail stating they won. Yes, I still have both of mine :-D

As far as the job not being done.....well I know what would happen to me if I failed to act on one of my jobs.

Regardless, the comps are still going on, and its an awesome way to get critiqued. I do miss the days that the judge was the last winner of that class, and explained their rating. That pushed me to come up with better designs and ask artistic friends about color combos.
    Well, we could go back to the judging if the majority wants it that way. My only fear is that with this forum's activity being so slow right now, the judge might not show up to actually critique and choose a winner.

Maybe we can have a Judging thread instead like they started at CFX. It was cool at first but then seemed to kinda dry up after awhile.

Chad

This is pretty disappointing news.

To me, this may sound the death knell of any credibility this contest has built. I remember entering the monthly contests back when previous winners were judges, and we didn't have a forum specifically to go head-to-head with other painters. When Novak was announced as a sponsor who was giving prizes, I saw it as a good thing, like we were finally established.

Obviously we'll see what happens, but I'll have to think carefully before submitting any more bodies to the contests, especially if entries are going to continue being cherry-picked for promoting the contest in the magazine.

This situation of being ignored reflects poorly on the magazine, and on Novak.

Sure, the prizes are low cost trinkets, but they're easier to collect than compliments and bragging rights.

I like the way we vote now......your right ,in case the "judge" doesnt show!I like voting, it lets the members here speak!

Rock the vote!

Quote Originally Posted by FESTER2004 View Post
    I like the way we vote now......your right ,in case the "judge" doesnt show!I like voting, it lets the members here speak!

Rock the vote!
    I will second that!

I second that!!!
    Last edited by gearhead225; 04-11-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: DELETE

Quote Originally Posted by 1stGenCRXer View Post
    This is pretty disappointing news.

To me, this may sound the death knell of any credibility this contest has built. I remember entering the monthly contests back when previous winners were judges, and we didn't have a forum specifically to go head-to-head with other painters. When Novak was announced as a sponsor who was giving prizes, I saw it as a good thing, like we were finally established.

Obviously we'll see what happens, but I'll have to think carefully before submitting any more bodies to the contests, especially if entries are going to continue being cherry-picked for promoting the contest in the magazine.

This situation of being ignored reflects poorly on the magazine, and on Novak.

Sure, the prizes are low cost trinkets, but they're easier to collect than compliments and bragging rights.
    I second that!!!

I think maybe if theres no prizes, maybe we will see less people that should be pro posting their work as pro rather than amiture or inter.
    Aluminum Bling Bling or Coat hangers
    What ever Keeps it RUNNING

In The Garage
    5B 30.5cc beast
    MM overpowered Slash
    GS Storm SUT
    LSTXXL (in the build)
    HobbyPeople 1/8 4x4 Buggy

You might be right, but I hope not. Time will tell though.

I'll get back to you guys with what's going on with the prizes. Sit tight and we'll get it all worked out. And, as always, thanks for visiting rccaraction.com and the forums.

Matt
    Check out:
    http://rctruckstop.com
    https://facebook.com/rctruckstop

Any News Yet

Quote Originally Posted by hijacker View Post
    Well, we could go back to the judging if the majority wants it that way. My only fear is that with this forum's activity being so slow right now, the judge might not show up to actually critique and choose a winner.

Maybe we can have a Judging thread instead like they started at CFX. It was cool at first but then seemed to kinda dry up after awhile.

Chad
    It may be time to redo the paint comps all together. Back in the day I remember I had 38 bodies to judge. We needed 2, then 3 classes. Do we still need three classes? Vote judge, it's all good, but I wish more people would take the time to vote.

if anything I say change the number of wins you need to jump to classes..instead of 2 wins and then u go "pro" lets say ...make it 5 or something

Personally, I'll still vote in the comps, but until a decision, with disclosure of said decision, is made, I won't be entering any more bodies.

Like I said before, I love the comps on this board, and I feel that prizes brought more people as well as some credibility. Sure the normal prizes are cheesy and cheap, but winning something tangible has a certain draw.

But, also as I said before, any contest that says there are prizes for the winners should follow through.

These are just my feelings and opinions. In my line of work, credibility is worth as much, or more, than anything else.

I agree

Personally, I'll still vote in the comps, but until a decision, with disclosure of said decision, is made, I won't be entering any more bodies.

Like I said before, I love the comps on this board, and I feel that prizes brought more people as well as some credibility. Sure the normal prizes are cheesy and cheap, but winning something tangible has a certain draw.

But, also as I said before, any contest that says there are prizes for the winners should follow through.

These are just my feelings and opinions. In my line of work, credibility is worth as much, or more, than anything else.

Very well said , I feel the same way ......

Quote Originally Posted by MattHiggins View Post
    I'll get back to you guys with what's going on with the prizes. Sit tight and we'll get it all worked out. And, as always, thanks for visiting rccaraction.com and the forums.

Matt
    2 months have passed, any info?

2 months have passed, any info?

I agree with your earlier post, but they've made a clear result/decision/info quite awhile ago. They have discontinued prizes until further notice. It is what it is.

Maybe Novak didn't see the benefit in continuing to sponsor the comps versus what the t-shirt and pit towel cost.

Ok, so I'm being sarcastic... but then again times are tough all over and every dollar is being counted and accounted for.

I don't want to point fingers, but if Novak has backed out, I don't think it's good business sense to leave the forum called "Best Paint Competitions sponsored by NOVAK" to get a free advertising ride.

I know Novak runs a lot of ads in the magazine, and I don't know all the particulars in regards to their advertising/sponsorship arrangement, but somebody's dropped the ball here.

To expand on my earlier posts, if the forum name was just changed to "Best Paint Competition", I would submit bodies again. I love the competitions, but I don't want to benefit any "sponsor" that isn't following through for whatever reason on either side of this magazine/sponsor arrangement.

Are Reader's Rides winners still getting their advertised rewards?

I'd like to see either a.) This situation sorted out and we continue on, or b.) Novak's name dropped and we continue on sponsorless.

If it takes somebody stepping up to volunteer for scenario 'A' to play out, I'd certainly do what I can on that side as well.

If you think you can get it sorted out, just do it. A public manifesto isn't really required.