Notices

Thread: Pro Boat Arleigh Burke Class Destroyer

1. Pro Boat Arleigh Burke Class Destroyer 
    Wow, would you believe it? I am doing a scale ship review for the Digital Edition of the RCBM magazine. Wow! Oh yea I already said that. Here's some pix of the project. Took about 4 hours to do everything needed to complete the ship! It is 43 inches long has a 6-inch beam
    uses twin counterrotating 390 size brushed motors and a 50Amp ESC with reverse comes installed as does the entire drive system. For power a single Sub-C NiCd 6-cell pack fits right into place as does a LiPo 7.4V 2s flat pack.
    Attached Images
    Favorite Quote: Passions once set in motion, move themselves... Unknown author.

for a radio I am using a 2.4GHz Spektrum DX3S pistol grip radio with a Spektrum MR3000 water proof receiver. Takes about 30 seconds to bind together and install. This radio is cool as you can also set it up for telemetry feedback for rpm and battery voltage. nice features.
    Attached Images

The twin rudders are already installed as is the steering servo and control linkage. The tiller arms are accessible through this flush fitting hatch! The helicopter makes a good hand grip to remove the hatch as it is held in place securely with magnets.

I am toying with the idea of replacing the helo with a 1/144 scale blackhawk/Seahawk from Dragon Models
    Attached Images

Though this is a PNP (Plug and play) ship, there's still lots of detailed parts needing installation. Make sure you take the time to glue everything carefully in place. The details really make the ship come to life with increased realism. I used medium Zap CA and kicker. all the parts are painted for you and are made from molded resin.
    Attached Images

The mast is full of details! amazing attention to detail.
    Attached Images

hows this for the foredeck? nice detailing all around incuding the anchors
    Attached Images

The deck fittings, firehoses, R2D2 mini guns, radar dishes and other bits and pieces all combine to make this a great looking display piece. Can't wait to get this hull wet! All that's left is to add 5 pounds of ballast.
    Attached Images

got a price?

just under $600

wow - not a boat guy per se - but that is AWESOME!

I agree! I am an old-time scale scratch builder and even built a 1:96 scale USS Hornet aircraft carrier in my day complete with 16 resin casted B-25s on deck! Others were not so complicated. But I think the $600 price tag is a bargain, as I used to sell my beat up old ships for $500 and the buyers were thinking it was a deal. What's your time worth if you spend 6 months gluing wood together? This model is an amazing show piece right out of the box!