Notices

Thread: Upcoming Forum changes Discussion

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If there's less spam, how am I gonna find out where I can get low-cost replica watches and bargain-rate software?

I like the changes, just need to get used to it.

The option to have different themes. Dark colors, light colors, and default colors.

The idea of having all sections the same color theme as an option. I checked out a flying section, and it was a completely different color, and was a very bright blue. Nothing wrong with blue, but it seemed to bright for me. The red is nice, but as I mentioned having the same theme colors would be a nice option.

Yay, I have an avatar finally! Took forever for an individual like me that does not flood forums with useless posts just to up their count.

Maybe a delete button would be nice.
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. Just to clarify this is step 1 in a very long process lasting several months. Alot more options will be available once we do our first upgrade.

I will keep you all informed in advance of that process when we are ready to move forward.

Thank you for your patience.

While reading the New Posts, it seems that my cookie or something for the forum ran out. I had about 20 - 30 more posts left to read, and then when I finished making a post I clicked the New Posts link, and then I had 3!

Is there a way to extend the time in the forum cookie or will I never get to read unread posts that I have not got to yet? I had this experience with another forum that made all posts read after being there for only five minutes. The webmaster had no clue how to change it, and stated it is part of the forum settings, and told me to read faster.

I do not know how long I was logged in here, but is there a way to extend the time? In a phpBB the setting is in the Configuration under Session length [ seconds ] the default is 3600 (1 hour). Is there a setting for this forum to extend the time to 0 which is as long as one is logged in? Or maybe just add another zero for something like 36000 (10 hours).

I may never know what posts I missed without going through the thousands of posts that are on this forum.
    ~Cope57

I have increased the session timeout to 4 hours.
    You can also use "Quick Links" and "Todays Posts" as well if you timeout.

I forgot about the quick links, thanks.
    ~Cope57

Tweaked a few more colors added a gradient background on the top banner and rebuilt the Airplane, Diecast, and Boats forums to follow simmilar themes.

Let me know what you think!!

We are nearing the final layout of the main categories. If anyone has input or would like another section added please let me know!

Thanks
    Admin

Hi, i have a member who cointacted me saying he is having trouble posting links from flicker? any ideas?is the site blocking flicker links? please lmk when you get a chance,thanks,Dave

Flickr is not supported on this old version of Vbulletin. Tell him to sit tight as we are upgrading within a couple weeks and that option will be available.
    In the mean time use photobucket.

Quote Originally Posted by LOST IN MN View Post
    I have increased the session timeout to 4 hours.
    You can also use "Quick Links" and "Todays Posts" as well if you timeout.
    Even in this version of the software, there's an option in the Settings>Options>Thread/Forum Read Marking Type where you can switch from cookie based thread tracking to database marking, which is usually much preferred. The best option is Database (automatic forum marking) as this will truly track what users have read and not read. The automatic marking option sets a limit on how long it will track an unread thread. Just below that setting is another called "Database Read Limit Marking." That will set the time limit in days that threads will remain "unread."

The option with no marking will leave every thread in the forum as unread, which can be HUGE on a forum with this many threads and posts. The automatic marking in my opinion is the better option, because you can set the number of days that, if someone hasn't read the thread in that number of days, chances are they're not going to read it.

I would suggest switching the the database tracking with the automatic marking, and then set the number of days between 10 and 30. 30 days gives everyone ample time to come back and read new threads, but the longer the number of days, the more processor intensive it becomes. I hope that helps. Great job cleaning up the forums. The navigation was trashed and left alone for a long time.

Perhaps flickr blocks links. Some image hosting sites don't allow hyperlinks from forums. Photobucket used to do that, as well as some other sites, but now that stored space is so cheap, most have opened up to allowing hyperlinks. They can also post images here on the forums directly.

I don't want to do much more with this version as we are upgrading in a couple weeks to a newer version. I will set all the proper tweaks once we do that. It will have alot more options for Photos, Video, Tracking, everything basically.
    But thanks for the Info!!!!

I just want to check in with everyone again to find out how you like the new category layouts? Is there anything else you would like us to add? If you have ideas on how to make things easier to navigate feel free to make a suggestion.
    Thanks!

The one thing that I like with other forums is the ability to hold the mouse over a topic and see the first sentence without clicking on the topic.

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hustins View Post
    The one thing that I like with other forums is the ability to hold the mouse over a topic and see the first sentence without clicking on the topic.

Keep up the good work.
    This option is coming soon!

Thanks for listening.

Thank you for reducing support of RC aviation.

Can the drop boxes get either their text or backgound colour changed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
    Thank you for reducing support of RC aviation.
    Reducing support? What exactly do you mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by tadium54 View Post
    Can the drop boxes get either their text or backgound colour changed?

Thanks
    Yes that will be happening next week.

21. Question Why so specific? 
    Why does the new name only mention cars? Are boats now deprecated, or are boaters still allowed, but only on sufferance? I see there's a Model Airplane News section too. So, why does the new name only mention cars?

Are you planning to add a "Search this thread" option? I find it really useful on forums that have it.

How do i unscribe from this foruim

Quote Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
    Why does the new name only mention cars? Are boats now deprecated, or are boaters still allowed, but only on sufferance? I see there's a Model Airplane News section too. So, why does the new name only mention cars?

Are you planning to add a "Search this thread" option? I find it really useful on forums that have it.
    The forums needed to reflect the name of our core site. We are no longer producing a Boat publication but have kept the boat forums. They are located in the main Car, Truck and Boat forums towards the bottom of the page. See Main Page.
    RC Boat users are welcome and encouraged to use the new layout.

Yes a new search function will be available shortly with the upgraded software version.

All great news and I am excited to watch the changes. I trust they will be all positive in the long haul. Great new look guys.

How about an exclusive shot just to say THANKS for your efforts? Here is one from the Hostile event of the new Losi 5IVE-T heading over a jump. Enjoy.
    Attached Images

i am sorry the black and red are killing my eyes....wow!!!!!its tooo dark and hard to read....