Notices

Thread: Creating a Whole New Forum Experience: We Need Your Help!

1. Creating a Whole New Forum Experience: We Need Your Help! 
    I know it seems like the cleanup crew has not been around lately, but im happy to say, that chapter is coming to an end. Previously, we have had some minor programming issues and glitches, making cleanup of the forum, as well as maintaining it, very difficult. But now that we have some new help to take care of the "Behind the Scenes" problems we have been having, I would like to call on the members of this forum for your help in cleaning up this place, as we used to in the past, by using the "Report Post" feature on all spam threads, as well as controversial threads.

Alot of you may have been doing this all along, but for those that feel it was falling on deaf ears, we have fixed the communication issues, so now those reports get sent to the right people like myself.

In short, what im asking is if you are surfing through various sections of the forum and come across Spam threads, or inappropriate post's that have been missed, please report it so that we can now remove it and clean out the useless threads on this forum.

Thank You all for your Help.
    RCZone Staff

No worries Im sure Most of the older Members who are serious about the hobby will remain vigilant.
    It would be great to see this place make a come back I remember in the 90's how buisy It used t be in here and there was hardly and Junk/spam and the verry little there was the members Jumped on it straight away.

I've reported spam on multiple occasions but sometimes they seem to be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by quick5pnt0 View Post
    I've reported spam on multiple occasions but sometimes they seem to be ignored.
    The forum is now being moderated daily. Please keep reporting spam if you find it. I have stopped 99.9% of new spam from coming in. I just havn't had time to search existing threads for content that was already here.

Thank You
    Admin

There was some spam a month ago titled "Tamiya To Make Big Announcement On September 6th 2011" that most of us wished you could have caught and filtered out. - JK

I noticed the new changes. I wish more people would make projects from scratch. That seemed more interesting. I think that RTR has caused most people to go from the store to the track to the trash rather than being able to fix stuff. By doing that, no-one has any need to share information anymore so this site has suffered.

I don't necessarily agree. RTR has opened up an entirely new market to people that may have not otherwise bought an RC vehicle. Not everyone has the time, knowledge or patience to take a box of parts and turn it into something.

Personally I like seeing projects and peoples design process. But just imagine how much smaller the RC market would be without RTR's!

A larger market as a whole brings new innovation and competition between major manufacturers and small company innovators. Bringing in some Aftermarket Vendors here will help immensly with traffic flow and new content.

There are all kinds of cool things planned for the site that will be implemented over the next several months.

normally i don't speak out on stuff like this as i find it's usually nothing more than a waste of time as nothing changes or gets resolved from it. but im going step up on the soap box for a minute this time as the line about RTR's brining in people that normally wouldn't have gotten involved really gets under my skin.

iv been around RC sense the early 90's. iv seen a huge change in hobbyist's over the years. in the mid 90's everybody was a professional. people were enthusiastic about building, customizing, repair, maintaining. it was a lot more fun because people were having more fun with it. nobody was complaining. every aspect of the hobby was something all hobbyist's had an interest in. our cars spent more time on the workbench taken apart than they did being run, and we were happy about it.

fast forward to about 2004 when i walked away for a while after a massive influx of new RTR hobbyist's had taken over. hobbyist's were spoiled slackers. nobody wanted to build anything, nobody knew how to repair anything, nobody knew how to create anything original. the only thing hobbyist's were interested in was driving and complaining.

RTR's did opened up an entirely new market to people that may have not otherwise bought an RC vehicle, but it was the wrong people. far to many of them had no interest in it as hobby. it was people who only wanted to drive a toy truck. im sorry but simply driving a toy is something you do during play time when your 6 it doesn't classify as a hobby.
    hearing that not everyone has the time, knowledge or patience to take a box of parts and turn it into something argument makes me want to slug people. ill address these things individually.

time: as an adult time is something you don't have a whole lot of, but you don't have to sit down and spend 5 hours building it to completion the day you buy it. if you think that. your wrong. for more on this see patience.

knowledge/ability to turn something into nothing: an 8 year old can build incredible and original things out of lego's or erector set. often times no instructions needed. all you have to do is read the manual and follow the directions. if an 8 year old can do it, why can't an adult? if we had these skills when we were kids, why don't have them now?

patience (and this goes way beyond RC): nobody has any any more. in this modern technology driven you have it before you even know you need it society, patience is something people don't have, but something we need to learn. patience is a verdure. usually the best things are the things we have to work for, earn, and wait for. instant gratification is ruining society. we are breeding a new generation of spoiled self centered pain in the ass brats. and they're going to be in charge some day. think about that.

why not use hobby's as a way to teach valuable skills like working hard to achieve, following instructions/directions, patience, sharing, and socializing? RC would be a great candidate for that.

Personally I like seeing projects and peoples design process. But just imagine how much smaller the RC market would be without RTR's!
    as do i. but if you look around you'll notice that the number of actual projects (and i don't mean bolting store bought prebuilt stuff on an existing chassis) hasn't changed in 15 years. you might like seeing people bolt up those prebuilt parts on a prebuilt chassis but there is no originality and no design process involved. it's kind of boring and uncreative.

There are all kinds of cool things planned for the site that will be implemented over the next several months.
    how about a chatroom. not aware of any RC chat rooms. if you could keep the spam and trolls out but still allow some off topic conversation that would be pretty cool
    im suburban hooligan and i approve this message

As far as the body of your post is concerned I will not comment except to say, It is not my responsibility nor any members reponsibility to define what makes a hobbist.

Times change products change and the market changes we all move foward.

As far as design goes I don't know where you have been looking but in my segment of the hobby 1/5th scale there is a massive amount of custom and design work by individuals. I am not speaking of bolting on store bought parts but people thinking outside of the box and creating 1 off custom rigs. So I find your theory very flawed in that aspect. Every new car released gives the opportunity for someone to do this or create a small business.
    There are thousands of options for someone willing to put the effort into it.

One thing that will be changing with this forum is the Acceptable content. There are certain individuals who seem to think the purpose of this site is to bash every new thing they see. This is going to stop and is not within the scope of what we want to accomplish here.

We want this site to be a friendly 13+ years of age area for people to come to get and give information pertaining to RC's.

This is not a platform for continual personal negative opinions because you are upset with the direction of the hobby. If that is the case contact the manufacturers directly. Those kinds of posts in the future will be removed.

What is acceptable is posting information based on first hand knowledge of given items. By all means if you have had a problem with a product let us know. If your opinion is based soley on speculation keep it off the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by LOST IN MN View Post
    As far as design goes I don't know where you have been looking but in my segment of the hobby 1/5th scale there is a massive amount of custom and design work by individuals. I am not speaking of bolting on store bought parts but people thinking outside of the box and creating 1 off custom rigs. So I find your theory very flawed in that aspect. Every new car released gives the opportunity for someone to do this or create a small business.
    There are thousands of options for someone willing to put the effort into it.
    1:5 scale may be different idk. it's way out of my price range and i have no place to run them so i don't pay attention to them. out of sight out of mind. it does make sense that people would be doing more actual one off custom modifications to 1:5 scale. the vehicles are bigger, beefier, and have more room. parts and idea's wouldn't have to be as over engineered and precise to fit in as tight of tolerances as say a 1:10 chassis. the vehicles probably haven't had the time and money put into them in R&D by the manufacture making them easier for the backyard rocket scientist to refine. whereas there is no way a guy in his backyard garage is going to make a RC10T4.1 better.

look at rock crawling. when it was in it's infancy it was mostly custom chassis' and strategically cobbled together parts. as more money got involved company's started doing more R&D and refining their products. today it's mostly "big" manufacture made off the shelf trucks modified with off the shelf aftermarket parts. the availability of such chassis' and parts caused the custom side of it to drop off and fall flat. i watched 1:8 scale do the same thing. i remember when people had to make their own truggy's because such a manufacture made vehicle didn't exist.

and is that a yes or no on the chatroom idea?
    and if there isn't one already (i haven't looked) how about a user product review section. don't think iv ever seen one of those on an RC forum. might be something to try out. just throwing it out there.

I don't really think the types of people in this hobby have changed much. There might be more of them with the R2R market, but the types of people are still the same.

Personally I decided on a kit for my re-entry into the hobby, primarily because it was the only current vehicle that I am even remotely interested in (Losi 22T), but also because I wanted to re-integrate myself with the inner workings of the vehicle. Buying an R2R I would be able to do it, but I likely wouldn't. But I remember back in the day that there were plenty of people that had no idea what the inside of a transmission looked like, or how to bleed a shock. There may not have been R2R vehicles back then, but these people would buy a used vehicle or inherit one, and they wouldn't take the time to learn how they worked.

In the end, even though this hobby is about 90% different than it used to be the last time I was in it, that is mostly a factor of the hardware and electronics, not the people involved. Hopefully, as a seasoned driver, you are running in classes above those newbs that you dislike, and therefore they shouldn't bother you all that much.

Any way to get more traffic on here, or is the Hobby of RC really that dead?!

Quote Originally Posted by WorstNightmare View Post
    Any way to get more traffic on here, or is the Hobby of RC really that dead?!
    don't get me started. i blew this place up a few months ago. trying to breath life into this place. helped a little bit, but not much.

and the livelyness' of the hobby side of things has been discussed in a couple threads. uhhh, most of the old timers do seem to feel that, yes, it is dead.
    plenty of people out driving. just nobody actually participating. the workbench is kind of like Atlantis that this point. which says all kinds of bad stuff about the new breed and next generation

Quote Originally Posted by SuburbnHooligan View Post
    don't get me started. i blew this place up a few months ago. trying to breath life into this place. helped a little bit, but not much.

and the livelyness' of the hobby side of things has been discussed in a couple threads. uhhh, most of the old timers do seem to feel that, yes, it is dead.
    plenty of people out driving. just nobody actually participating. the workbench is kind of like Atlantis that this point. which says all kinds of bad stuff about the new breed and next generation
    I hear ya. I remember back when these forums were with the white and black theme.... like back in 03'. It was freakin Boomin back then....

Quote Originally Posted by SuburbnHooligan View Post

I had to register to respond to this. normally i just lurk once in a while, check out what's going on, see if anything new is trending in the r/c arena.

I know a few "old timers" here in tx and in N.Ca who have been in the hobby for decades. they don't hang out on BB's and discuss things like who's making what or how old the people are that are driving. They just enjoy the hobby, and help those that come along and need advice.

I've been in the hobby since 1987, when I got a tamiya pajero. I've had a few different cars over the years, and been in and out of racing based on time, money, kids etc... and generally had fun with it by not taking it too seriously. it's supposed to be about fun (and winning, if you race )

Just let it be fun, and find the circle of hobbyists that you want to hang out with. just don't deride others because they don't know the hobby the same way you do. heck, my 8 year old is looking for a kit to build because he doesn't want a RTR. I think there are quite a few like him out there as well, but R/C is bigger now than it was 20 or 30 years ago since it is more accessible via the internet. the core group of "builders" are still there I think, but they are a bit hard to find in the crowd of drivers out there these days.

edit: and yes, I realize this thread is 2 months old. I just didn't want to let others see it and think it was all "doom and gloom". hopefully i didn't come off that way as well.
    Last edited by makya; 12-06-2012 at 06:10 PM.

can we get a builders section?

i started in 06 with a rtr rustler. i taught myself how to work on em and there was a lot of "bolt on" project cars.

about 3 yrs ago i got my first crawler. i fell in love with em. i could spend hours driving,instead of bashing monster trucks and smashing the front end after 10 minutes.

since i got that venom creeper safari, iv been scratch build a lot of stuff.

now, i have the ability to start with a pair of axles and a transmission and build a truck out of it, there are still bolt on parts used, but most have to be modded to fit what i want them to fit.

i have 3 right now that were scratch built from the ground up, and 2 that were rtrs that iv built a lot of replacement parts for.

i dont care for go fast cars/trucks anymore. i have more fun building and driving scalers then i ever did driving a go fast.

theres nothing wrong with bolt on parts, some are better quality then others and they can make a big improvement on durability, but most times, the RTR people want bling and shiny and opt for the cheaper quality parts because they can get more parts for the same money, thats what iv seen at my LHS.

the LHS is another area that is pushing out builders, all they got is RTR's, maybe some stuff for the plane builders.

my LHS has more broken RTR's in the back than they do on the floor for sale.
    Last edited by stanmondz; 03-14-2013 at 09:18 PM.

I know what ya Fella's are saying!....

Im in it just for the fun of the hobby,...Dont get me wrong though,Im a serious
    basher....
    Not really into speed either,I just like building them,an making them look
    different.
    Im in the process of building a Big-block short coarse Ld3,Ive been collecting
    parts already,Ive gotten some a-arms an wheels,but do need to get a body
    so I can figure out the wheel base,may have to fab up the chassy based
    upon the body.....
    Just bash it!