Notices

Thread: Powerstarter!!

1. Powerstarter!! 
    Killer RC has come out with a new powerstarter!! What makes this powerstarter unique is the oneway bearing is in the attachment on the drill so the starter mechanism does not create any drag on the motor while it is running . And the bearing should last longer too since it is not exposed to the dirt from the track. Here is the video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCeEgdswo3w&feature=player_embedded"]Killer RC - Power Starter - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by nitrohead5300; 01-04-2013 at 01:53 PM.

This device should help alot of people who have problems starting their high compression gas motors or who have health problems. Killer rc projected release date is late Jan 2013.

I was wondering how long this would take. Your next job is to make an onboard starter/alternator unit so that it keeps the onboard battery topped off.

-Eric

Having a onboard unit would just add extra weight to the car and make it slower. Making the starter a seperate unit you remove it after the engine has started. Use a 7.2 volt lipo reciever battery pack with a voltage regulator and you can run all day without an alternator !!
    Last edited by nitrohead5300; 01-04-2013 at 09:46 PM.

The alternator is cool though. I've got one on a helicopter. It is the ultimate in lazy.

-Eric

You want to keep your weight down to a miniumn this unit adds no weight to the car since it is a seperate unit . And you don't need a alternator when you can use a high voltage lipo reciever pack and run all day off a single charge.

No I completely agree it's an excellent product! I was wondering when someone would do this. Beats the heck out of a pull starter!!

The alternator is just neat more as a gadget/novelty thing. It's useful on the helicopters when you get 3-4 hour flight times with additional electronics beyond normal r/c gear and want to save weight on batteries. There is a turnover point where generating your own power saves weight over a bigger battery though also. It just depends on what you're doing. I admit it's an extreme situation that you'd run into that, but it'd still be neat to have an onboard starter that would also generate receiver battery power.

-Eric

HUH??? You are not pulling my leg?? There is really is a alternator unit for choppers?? Do you have any pictures of this alternator unit??

https://www.google.com/search?num=10...w=1858&bih=970

I guess they call it a generator, but it works rather well. We used them on UAVs as well for powering the camera and autopilot sub-systems. Makes a 4400mAh 3s receiver pack last forever instead of having to strap 5 of them to the nose.

-Eric

Thanks !! I didnt know anything like that exisited.

I know this is rather complex for rc use, but in modern cars with start-stop systems the starter and alternator is one unit, the size is that of a traditional alternator så its not adding exessive weight compared to a traditionel setup.

Just a thought..

I don't see the need for a onboard started for a RC Car because it adds unnecessary weight to the rc car and the onboard starter creates drag on the motor when it is running. The killer rc unit is seperate from the motor once you get the motor started you remove it and there is no dragon the motor.

Killer RC does have his powerstarts adapters that you put on the flywheel but he does not have the drill starter attachment . If you got to have this powerstart now you can go to Lowes and pick up the drill starter attachment thats what I did . Killer explains how to do this on his website. The starter attachment only cost $9.00 bucks.

Has anyone bought one of these starters?
    FG Leopard
    FG Beetle 4x4
    Hurrax Crypton 4x4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes , I purchased one and it works very well starting up a modfied 30.5 motor.

Awesome! I'll have to get myself one!!
    Thanks for the feedback nitrohead!!
    FG Leopard
    FG Beetle 4x4
    Hurrax Crypton 4x4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have one on my Red Cat Dunerunner with OBR 30.5 power and love it. Got one of the prototypes (I cried a lot), a 990 carb is hard to set up to start here. The Powerstart makes it a snap. After 6 months the Powerstart hex wore out, the prototype didn't have the hex all the way through as the production run does, and kept loading up with sand, I just received a replacement No Driver and I did pay for it.
    Last edited by Chief409; 07-10-2013 at 09:29 PM.

mine is still cranking without a problem great product!!