Notices

Thread: Vintage 1980's Thunder Tiger Silver Fox is alive!

1. Vintage 1980's Thunder Tiger Silver Fox is alive! 
    Hey guys! My girlfriend's Dad just found out about my rc bug...obession...so we chatted of his childhood and his grandfather always being a big hobbyist. Not 3 minutes into the conversation, I could see a light switch on in his head. He signaled the "1 second" finger and I started to get excited...

Paul's Thunder Tiger Silver Fox <--- Photos!

It's been sitting in that hardcase, free of dust and still with original dirt from the 80's.

So I just got it fired up for the first time tonight after a complete engine rebuild. Here's a video of a [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SooLD_stV58]low speed test[/ame]. High speed to follow soon!
    Last edited by rccardude04; 09-19-2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Helping out

Gotta love a good nostalgic vintage nitro car that actually fires up when you are trying to remember how cool it was!

Very cool!!

-Eric

Indeed! It fired right up after the first bump start. I couldn't believe it. All the fuel adjustment needles were left as they were from the 80's.

Wow - like a time capsule. Amazed it fired up - must have been well taken care of.
    84 RC's and counting

Well, it finally died. Front flywheel bearing started leaking badly. I used the heat gun technique to pop out the engine bearings. I'll have to head to the local hobby shop for replacements but I plan on putting up another video when it's back in action! More to come soon.

Fix it yet?

-Eric

Not yet! Heading to get parts this weekend. I just finished a lot of cleaning and caked on grease/fuel so that should help mounds with the tuning. Also discovered a large crack in the fuel tank so I'll need to get another one of those. Should definitely help with the tuning process.

Please post some static pics. I have one too... I have never run it, but want to see if it is the same vehicle.
    I need a fuel tank for mine.
    From what I understand, Mine was broke in... and then the owner could not get it started again and just put it on a shelf. It has never been on the ground.

There are some stat pics in the first post. Paul's Thunder Tiger... is a link to an imgur album Just hover your mouse over it

Did you get the car running?
    I kinda stumbled across your thread,read alittle of it.
    Upon reading,you said the fuel tank had a crack in it,that alone would cause
    the engine to have a bad tune an run leaner,which would over heat the engine.
    When you replace the tank,you should also replace the fuel lines.
    If the tank leaks,then you lose the back pressure that comes from the muffler,
    that helps feed the fuel to the carb,which will cause the engine to run lean.
    Same with leaky fuel lines.
    I hope this information helps...
    Just bash it!

Here are some pics of mine. It needs rebuilt. The original owner missed on a lot of different aspects of it. Silver Fox 1a.JPGSilver Fox 2a.JPGSilver Fox 3a.JPGSilver Fox 4a.JPGSilver Fox 5a.JPGSilver Fox 6a.JPGSilver Fox 7a.JPG