Notices

Thread: 41 Willy's Scale build.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 41 Willy's Scale build. 
    Due to bad shipping I was able to get this Jeep with me in the Black $40.00. All I had to do is patch up all the broken parts that was left.
    So after doing that I wanted to install a really nice frame to make this build hold up on the trail. I went with a aluminum T6 and cut it on my band-saw I then ordered some wraith axles to use because I need the wide axles to make the shocks work. I like the results.
    For the transmission I install metal gears in a axial trans mission and installed it in the back by the firewall so that the drive axle would have no problems mating up to the transfer-case. I also wanted to fit the Willy's Flathead motor over the axial stuff so that it has the feel of the real thing. I think I pulled that off well. It even covers the esc and 4400mah smc-racing lipo. I added some more detail to the motor so that it look real as possible.
    I went with the Traxxas T-Max shocks that are 104 mm long and seem to be well made.
    I ordered the RC4WD 1/8 duel motor winch to mount to the servo mount so it's doing double duty as a bumper winch mount and steering box mount. It worked out well I feel. The canvas top and seat cover will stay in place. I will be making a aluminum roll cage and brush guard also.
    The wheels and tires are 2.2 and I like the RC4WD Rok Lox and the Gun slinger plastic glue on rims for this build.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

I sold the gun on ebay for 27.00 so thats gone
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

I pulled the bottom of so that I could build a real frame.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

Here is the motor bay I want to add more detail but have want I need fit also.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

Good looking pictures? Well don't get used to it I didn't get it this way!
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

This is what I started with.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

I'm saving the piece I pulled so that I can use what I need before I trash it.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

Patching up the front before I hack it up to mount the plate that will serve 3 different things. Steering. winch mount and bumper.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

I made a mirror that swivels so that it doesn't break I also used a flexable mirror so it should hold up.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

I pulled the mirror off one of my 1/6 scorpion buggies on the passenger side.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

I'm getting ready to pull the scale motor and thought I would install a hose to see how it would look.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

I make the hole using tape that I stuck to the bottom of the trans and them marked the holes and the pulled the tape and stuck it to the pan of the motor bay. It took less than 5 min to do all this including drilling the holes.
    This build is simple to do and it really looks great. I see why so many builders like working with these.
    I always do things differently so it should stand out from others you have seen in the past.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

So here is what I think is the best part of this build. That would be the engine bay. How I mount the steering servo is different but it doesn't stand out like this does.

(((((Keep in mind that I still need to fit a ESC, Reciever and Lipo in here.)))))
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

So this is how the rest comes into play.
    Here is a picture of the real thing and what I'm shooting for while still being able to keep it a R/C.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

I added paint and some detail to the motor while waiting for the ESC I need to show up.

I also ordered metal gears for the transmission and a SMC lipo battery.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

I started on the drive train while waiting for parts also. I pulled the T1 t-case from another build while another one is on the way to replace it. The shocks for this build I ordered for another build but they are to small for that build but perfect for this build.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

I started on the drive train while waiting for parts also. I pulled the T1 t-case from another build while another one is on the way to replace it. The shocks for this build I ordered for another build but they are to small for that build but perfect for this build.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

The Hobbywing ESC showed up! Going to be some really short wires used on this build.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

So I have the esc covered and when the Lipo shows up I will get it mounted in the front under the grill and radiator.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

I hope I don't have problems with the receiver next to the motor. It's not touching but there is a strong chance that interference could be a problem.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

So here is the lipo in place. I like the fit it is snug but not tight.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

Looking through the grill give up th lipo. I will need to add some mesh to help hide this.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER

Looking through the grill give up th lipo. I will need to add some mesh to help hide this.
    RC4WD TEAM DRIVER