Notices

Thread: Tamiya Tank Forum

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    My brother has the original Sherman tank with metal treads. It needs some work on the steering linkages/speed control etc. I need to look for some spare parts to get it working again. I remember it running over just about anything that got in its way. It really weighs a lot and used to eat up batterries but of course batterries did not have the power that they do today.

2. Do you want it or not? 
    quit your whinning! how about a violin to go along with it? don't complain about prices, if you want, buy it. save up for it for you have to, you'll just appreciate it more. I have an electric USA-1 that has almost $2000 wrapped up in it. people give me crap about it all the time, do I care? nope, cause I love it, it's my truck, and it always runs when I want it to. tanks are awesome! think about it, the true monster of mayhem. they go anywhere and do anything. who cares if they are heavy and they do suck up juice. what are you in this hobby for? I'm in for fun. my vechicles range in age from two months to fifteen years, and they all still run. call me a sick, twisted individual, but they have become friends of mine. when no one else is around, I can always count on them for a good time. they say money is the root of all evil, but then, they apparently never had an R/C Vehicle. just my nickel's worth... I do plan on buying a tank. it will be worth the money spent.

at the other end of the scale i got a tiny kyosho tank which is about 13 cms x 6 cms for only £25 ($39) it abousulty rocks and can climb up to 72 degrees

thank you

Has anybody tried those 1/35th scale Tamiya tanks, the low-buck static model conversions?

Which of the 1/16 tanks has the best rough ground performance?
    Are they geared the same?

I just got a bunch of tanks..these things are awesome! Anyone else still rocking a tank?

7. New RC Armor Related forum 
    Hi guys,

Take a look at my forum layout and let me know what you think. I am trying to make a more public and easier to find forum for the armor enthusiasts.

http://www.littlearmor.com/

GIve me some feedback if you can. I am totally new at making forums and hosting, but I am learning and can use any feedback if possible

Thanks!

Eric Nghiem

Thay must be more tankers here? Come show them Tanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they are too expensive and too slow for most people's tastes. and, they have BUGS for the $500+ pricetag so you will need to pour money right from the start to fix them. that's why they are not popular in the states... there also aren't any aftermarket parts dealers within the US.

the manual is also inadequate so you better do your research and fix the issues as you are building or you will be in for a world of pain when parts start falling apart during running.

it's not yet finished.

some construction shots:

the fiber optics are a dog and a half to work with. i wanted to break it all after hours of sweat into it... and if you screw up, there isn't any extra fiber to recover. as a result, my left headlight doesn't really work (as you see the joint didn't work out too well).

way fun to run though and will go just about anywhere.

so far i have put ~ $1200 into it. Is it worth it? hell no. Is it fun? Totally. Show off factor of 9.

Quote Originally Posted by cdm
    so far i have put ~ $1200 into it. Is it worth it? hell no.
    Now that's encouraging...

Quote Originally Posted by EC-EXCURSION
    Now that's encouraging...
    It's true though. Over their other models it offers little actual improvement but twice the price tag.

Then again, it is all in the way you perceive it. In my opinion, it is the tank to own since once you get it, you probably won't buy another. The novelty factor does hold, but you want to push it further on and you can't go any further unless they release a more advanced model.

I guess you're right.

Im curious, how did you manage to break on of the fiber optic cables?

After sweating under the huge light for hours i turned it off in favor of an energy (and heat) efficient neon and the room's 70 degrees ambient was too cold for it.

*snaaaaaap*

I could probably fix it by getting some extra fiber from somewhere but you can't do that unless you disconnect all wiring from the upper and lower hulls. The way it stands built, there isn't enough slack to allow you to work on the underside. Just enough to lift it and adjust the tracks, etc.

14. My Tamiya Pershing Tank 
    Hi everybody.

I am new to this forum, I usually post on the Tamiya Tractor trailer thread. This is my first tank. I got it from Tower Hobbies on Wednesday (last week). I finished it on Friday, it took me 20 hours. I accidentally lost my fiber optic piece, so I replaced it with a section of an optical cable I cut. It works fine.
    Attached Images

Nice truck and tank. Well david, do you think it was worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by EC-EXCURSION
    Nice truck and tank. Well david, do you think it was worth it?

To me, it is worth it. The tanks are fun, with all the capabilities, and the detail put in to them. Building the tank was a pain though. I am no expert modeler, but in the end, I'm happy. I think it would be even better to have the battle system, and a group of people to battle it out with.

I have the full loadout but haven't actually met up with the local tankers.. shame i must say. oh well.. maybe one day.

on a side note, do not order from backyard armor, biggest joke ever and i am currently trying to get my money back from them. be warned.

Since nobody is posting in here I might as well make a little contribution and see if we can revive the field a bit. There have been hints of a new tamiya model coming out before 2006 as well so that will be interesting to follow. I hope they make the Abrams next. The rumors of the type90 as the next tank release make me cringe! Thing is basically a cheap Leopard 2 a4.

Donít laugh at the flat base color. I doubt Iíll ever finish the detailing on it, but I like it as it is. Besides I will probably just ruin it if I get a hold of the air brush given my artistic skills. And thus I havenít applied the decals because I am technically not done with the paint job.

So far it has been through ice, snow, water, mud. Yet to run it in excessive dust and I want to avoid sand altogether. The ice was the worst. It packed itself into the horn guides of the sprocket wheel (more on that below) and my tracks spin free as the teeth did not make contact.

There are few fixes/improvements you have to do out of the box or you will not really enjoy this model to its fullest.

- Remove the sprocket wheel guide.. Remove them! Did more damage than I thought possible. Part #s W1 and W2. Everything jams in there making your track jump out of the sprocket teeth and then slam catch back until you clean it. Also, when you turn they rub against the track horns and now mine are excessively worn. I should have never put that crappy plastic part on there. Donít make the same mistake. Runs like a dream without it with less grinding and havenít had a jam in many hours of backyard tanking.

- Add weight to the front. There is plenty of hollow space. be creative.. it helps balance out the weight of the battery in the rear and it makes it less bouncy + doesn't flip on hills. Not that I have tortured it up a steep enough grade though.

- Thread lock every single chassis screw and bolt. That means plastic as well. Nothing beats having parts come off before you have even finished assembly..

- Refer to the above and then in step 27 when you are screwing in the mounts for the upper deck to the hull ( ML1 onto C2 with MA2) make sure you thread lock it, CA glue them and tighten with pliers or similar. What happens is that if it isnít tight enough (and it wonít be by default) when you screw in the deck (upper hull as tamiya calls it) to the hull with the 2 bottom screws the ML1 part will spin freely effectively jamming the two hull parts half tightened. If you donít catch it on time you will have to drill out the screw(s) and ML1 so you can remove the two hull parts and start anew. I fortunately saw it in time and managed to grasp ML1 with pliers through the crevice of the deck and hull and unscrew the faulty linkage then tighten it proper. No you donít get spares so that means a trip to the store to fabricate a substitute.

- Thread lock the wheel screws + ca glue the two wheel parts together. People have had theirs fall off. Same for the suspension arm screws. Those are flimsy and if it wasnít for the track actually holding the wheels in line they might fall off.

- When I bought the tank the bearing kit was $100 before shipping from HK. Now the same is 20$ but I can't exactly add it on. You have to take apart the whole tank and after you toughen up the suspension that becomes next to impossible. Good news is the only wheel that might actually need a bearing is the idler due to the huge pressure on it.

- get the brass aftermarket idler kit. This is a must. The one that tamiya put in the box is a pathetic excuse. Stock track tension was unusable. I recommend ordering from the UKís tankzone shop as certain US retailers lie about stock status and actually take months to deliver (neither do they respond to queries about the delay).

- Try to avoid the 27 MHz radios... too much interference and this thing is sensitive to it. Even the smallest fluctuation will result in noticeable movement issues.

- Don't cry when the fiber lights do not come out as shown in the manual. It is impossible to get exact. I have a few words for the person who decided to use fiber

Instead of real point to point LEDs. At certain stages of the mounting you will have to improvise and really jam those in there. Step 31 is an example. In step 32, put some lube on the rubber things else it is a pain to get them to slide in between L2, L4, L1 etc. With lube it is a nice fit and you wonít tear the rubbers struggling.

- Avoid grassy areas with grass stumps.. Those love to grind your tracks and can potentially break off your sprockets. When turning the track gets pushed against it and bites, wanting to jump off the sprocket. A real tank would decimate the obstacle, but the toy cannot. You have to watch for that.. they are pickier than cars as to how they go places.

- Avoid concrete; it will eat your pads.

- Watch that you don't spin the turret more than once and rip all your wiring off. It has been done but luckily not by me. To fix that I drew arrows on the controller as I park the turret over the body to save room. This way I always know which way I should turn it out and into park. Point is make sure you have a reliable way of keeping count how many turns in each direction you have, especially in between uses when you tend to forget such details.

- The barrel assembly is somewhat fragile... pay attention where it is pointing at.

- Certain 3300mah batteries will be a tad big bigger (due to beefy cell joints). Those will not fit in the battery bay and will require you trim some of the battery enclosure and probably stick it inside in a semi permanent way. Thatís what I did with my latest pack. Further, you may need to cut the battery wires shorter so they won't budge and cause you grief when you to close the turret. What I noticed is that the wires are too long and the connector cannot find a place so it either jams the barrel assembly or prevents you from placing the cover on requiring manual adjustment through the gunnerís hatch.

- The Velcro strips are useless in step 71. Pain to line up proper (you will fail many a times trust me). The flaps have never opened on me anyway. Canít imagine why anyone would need them.

- Might want to reinforce the D5 parts but I can't describe that exactly with words... you probably have noticed the two "armor" plates (D5) being somewhat loose due to them being held at only 3 sides.. You can make a 4th joint to K27 and have a movement free turret.

Along many other... most people obsess with the paint and ignore all else. I run my models so functionality is my top priority. This is complex model with many parts so the list is long (and incomplete) so don't let that scare you. Few of the fixes have been pointed by a couple other nice folks and that saved me a lot of headaches. Tanks are a niche market and those with this price tag even more so. Very hard to find any real info on them and one of the sites that had a lot of data suffered a database crash so it is all lost.

Here are some of the most recent photos Iíve taken, just for the visual appeal:

edit: typing fast will cause errors.. i'll fix it later tonight. I have to go run some last minute errands now.
    Last edited by cdm; 04-13-2005 at 04:03 PM.

Got an (old) new Tank today to add tow my fleet Tamiya King Tiger(1981) Now I have some thing to go with my Sherman(1974)

Oh crud i can't edit the post any longer and i revised it with much more detail including actual part numbers..

Wasted time and effort.

I've been looking at some of those vintage tanks on ebay and they appear to be quite simple. Do you change all the internals on them or do you run them with the equipment that comes stock (if any). The only usable thing from them would be the shell and even that is dubious as we now have the new versions of the same machines (tiger, sherman and a few more).

Quote Originally Posted by cdm

I've been looking at some of those vintage tanks on ebay and they appear to be quite simple. Do you change all the internals on them or do you run them with the equipment that comes stock (if any). The only usable thing from them would be the shell and even that is dubious as we now have the new versions of the same machines (tiger, sherman and a few more).
    Well I like the older models myself.Thay are simpler to work on and seem to have a tougher drive train. No DMD needed! Just 2 or more channel radio a few servos,Esc and there you go.Don,t get me wrong the the newer ones are good too But with the money you(I) can save 200-400 bucks! (I)you can do a lot of neat,cool things to make them better then there DMD counter parts.Thats the fun part of R/C for me anyway...

22. Which radio control for tank 
    Hello all. I was wondering. what is the best Radio to buy? Also I am having a hard time deciding which tank to buy. It is a toss up between the Sherman M4, the Pershing, or the new Leopard 2A6. If you have any suggestions please let me know.
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

23. My Tank 
    This is my first post here.... I've just now got into tanks and love them... I purchased a 21st century 1/6 scale Stuart just to see how I'd like tanks. As you can see from the picture I've done a little work to it. It was originally the Jungle Fever version. Since I've got this one I cant wait to get another one I'm very seriously considering the Tamiya full function Leopard I've seen the video of it on Tamiya's site it is killer!!!
    Last edited by Backyard-Tracks; 04-19-2005 at 10:10 PM.

Bacyard. Thanks for the reply. The only problem I have with the leopard is the price. $ way to much. If you get the leoperd, let me know how it is.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Chris,
    I'll let you know on the Leopard... It might take me a couple months to get it ... Its just to much cash to drop all at one time. I'm going to have to save my pennies up for it!! . As far as your question about the radio any 4 channel radio will do the trick. I prefer a 5 or 6 channel radio though that way if I want to add something I've got the extra channels. I've got a couple of old Tower Hobbies 6 channel radios that I plan to use.

Blake