Notices

Thread: Electric Motorcycles Forum

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213
    Hey, I'm looking to get into RC Motorcycles after driving a brushless xxx-t for a few years. Now, what kit should I look at for running on the pavement, and just messing around. Also, to run my lehner 4200 basic on 6 cells will i need any aftermarket parts or gears? THanks, I'm guessing a futaba s3003 servo will be good, or should i use a jr z590m?

Quote Originally Posted by Re-Mix
    Hey, I'm looking to get into RC Motorcycles after driving a brushless xxx-t for a few years. Now, what kit should I look at for running on the pavement, and just messing around. Also, to run my lehner 4200 basic on 6 cells will i need any aftermarket parts or gears? THanks, I'm guessing a futaba s3003 servo will be good, or should i use a jr z590m?
    I recomend the thunder tiger ducati. There is also the Nuova Faor, which is the bike I race. There is not a lot between them but the thunder tiger is better value for money and high quality in many regards. I found my NF kit to be a little lacking in quality. The TT comes with everything you will need including radio equipment, speedo, motor and battery. Just need a charger and you are good to go. There are still plenty of upgrades and tweeks that will make it much easier to control. Check out this site www.skiptonclub.net.

Whats the diff. between the thunder tiger FM1-1 or the ducatti they look essentially the same minus the body on them correct? oh I just bought a used FME-1 kit off ebay and bought a novak brushless gtb 5.5 kit from someone on the forum will this push my bike too far? he he he....

Quote Originally Posted by jocktheglide165
    Whats the diff. between the thunder tiger FM1-1 or the ducatti they look essentially the same minus the body on them correct? oh I just bought a used FME-1 kit off ebay and bought a novak brushless gtb 5.5 kit from someone on the forum will this push my bike too far? he he he....
    Nope. It will just take you a bit of time to learn how to set it up properly and drive it. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mollycbr123
    Nope. It will just take you a bit of time to learn how to set it up properly and drive it. Have fun!
    I heard they are hard to steer, but man im excited for it the bike it looks so cool any hope ups anywhere we can buy?

man I got my bike and I have to say WOW these things are cool looking, but man I have a hard time driving this sucker gotta put the metal side arms on I got my GTB 5.5 novak in it and this thing well at least the wheels spin like mad when I hold it up and free spin it.

update I finally can drive this thing for a little bit, but now the problem is the tires the rear tires keep coming off during a WOT throttle briefly with the GTB its pretty insane. I put in a 18tooth pinion and boy its pretty crazy.......
    Last edited by jocktheglide165; 01-13-2006 at 11:02 PM.

jock -- Yeah, the stock tires on the FM-1e are not glued. Use Shoo-Goo, not CA. It holds perfectly well and lets you pull the tires off cleanly when it's time to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lito Reyes
    jock -- Yeah, the stock tires on the FM-1e are not glued. Use Shoo-Goo, not CA. It holds perfectly well and lets you pull the tires off cleanly when it's time to replace them.
    Lito Reyes thanks for the info man I already put dang super glue on there oh well plan to put some mods on there from crazynutracing.com since they seem to be the only folks who sell after market stuff. its a blast looking at it though so realistic.

Does anyone know if I hav eto use the "special" motorcycles electronics with the kyosho leaning rider bike?

I just need to know if standard electrics will fit

Frank13

Quote Originally Posted by frank13
    Does anyone know if I hav eto use the "special" motorcycles electronics with the kyosho leaning rider bike?

I just need to know if standard electrics will fit

Frank13
    So it's been a while...but I still figured I'd answer. You'll need micro electronics. There's not exactly much room for your ESC and Rx.

11. ricky bike 
    I just got a RS ricky carmichael bike, and was wondering if anyone else has one Found the steering spring sucks azz. wonder if theres any ways to add a stronger spring to it.

ARx-540:

He who KNOWS he's stupid is actually kinda smart

that looks awsome.

Has anyone else been running the Venom GPV-1 yet? I got mine the other day, and so far, I'm not too impressed with it's performance. Let me start by saying that I used to run an Thunder Tiger FM1-e, and was able to pilot it around well, even with a hot mod setup.
    Venom claims 27 mph out of the box, but I'd guess mine isn't exceeding 15-17 mph. I've reset the esc, messed around with EPA, and cycled the battery a few times - nothing seems to help.
    The steering leaves much to be desired. I could swing the big FM1-e around in a relatively tight circle. The GPV-1 required the entire width of a two lane road, even slowing to the point that it would drag the nerf bars through the entire corner. If I "blip" the brake, the tail would kick out sideways, and send the bike tumbling. This method would help the rear of the TTR bike rotate through tight turns faster.
    The battery must be secured with adhesive velcro attached to the battery tray and battery - the stock straps allow the battery to easily slide back and rub on the rear tire, further hindering performance. The chain will also rub on the battery, which if left unchecked, would eventually lead to destruction of the pack. The problem with adding the velcro is that the additional thickness makes it harder install the lower fairing, and will cause greater interference between the fairing and spur/pinion. You will have to trim the fairing a bit to provide clearance for the spur and pinion, even without the addition of velcro.
    The rider setup is a little odd, though it makes some sense. As there are no handlebars on the bike, the foam rubber rider grips faux handlebar ends complete with clutch/front brake levers. The problem with mine is that the fake ends come in contact with the crown of the fork, which I have no doubt will have a negative effect on steering. The fork needs to be completely free to swing in either direction for proper operation.
    All that said, I have little doubt that this bike can be made to handle well and move out at a good clip. I'm going to mess around with different suspension and steering settings to see if I can sort this out. The complete lack of power is a mystery to me - I installed the same Fireball motor in my daughter's Mini-T and it rips - easily twice as fast as this bike. I'll be trying another battery tonight, maybe that'll do the trick.
    Very sweet looking bike, it just seems that there were a few issues that should've been sorted prior to release.

Sorcerer001: Are you using the 11-tooth or the 12-tooth front sprocket? The 12-tooth makes it zip much better, and easily gets it into the 22mph range. Sticky-back Velcro is definitely the way to go for the batt. Also, turn the low EPA for channel 2 down to turn down the brake -- it needs to be much lower than it comes out of the box. And it shouldn't take that much room to turn -- check the pre-load on the rear shock to make sure that it doesn't sag too much. You might also want to try the other fork rake settings, but if you do, remember that you have to adjust the steering link spring collars forward or backwards to match the new distance of the upper triple from the servo.

Lito

Lito - Thanks for the advice! I'm running the stock (installed) sprocket, so I assume that'd be the 11 tooth. I'll swap in the 12 tooth. Preload seems fine - the bike has little to no droop. I'll try a more aggressive setting on the fork - I assume less rake/caster for more responsive steering.
    I'd like to be able to pilot this thing around Timezone's carpet track this winter, so running on their paved course this summer shouldn't be a problem (I assume you're familiar with the Timezone track?).

Sorcerer001: When I was up there last year, I spent all my time at the big track, so I didn't get a chance to check out the indoor track. The little GPV-1 would get lost on Rick's big track!

Before running on carpet, cover the crash bars in nylon tube to protect the surface. Don't want to make any track owners unhappy with us bikers...

Lito

I'll probably remove the crash bars when running on the carpet. Honestly, that's part of the problem I'm encountering at the moment - just when you're entering the "meat" of a good lean, they contact the ground. I'll probably end up bending them up a bit for outdoor use.
    Yeah, I figure the bike will be a little on the small side for the asphalt track. I've got a new GTB setup that's been sitting for the last year, it may find it's way in to a 1/5th scale bike. I'd like to get my hands on another TTR, but haven't had much luck finding the non-RTR versions.
    I'll be spending some more quality time with the Venom this weekend, I'm thinking I should load up the toolbox and head to a wide open parking lot to experiment with setup.
    Lito, I don't suppose you'd know when I'd be able to get my hands on a aluminum or steel rear sprocket?

Sorcerer: The crash bars, or sliders, as some call them, are pretty much a necessity, unless you have a turn marshall at every corner. Pick up some K&S wire rod at the LHS and make some shorter ones. I haven't tried it yet, but there should be some nylon pushrod tubing in the airplane section that should work well over the new bars.

AFAIK, Venom has no plans to release an optional rear sprocket. The stock composite one is surprisingly durable. That said, I took at look at one of my hopped-up Kyosho 1:8-scale HOR bikes, and it looks like Kyosho's hop-up steel sprocket (or a Hot Racing aluminum one) might just fit. Chris Nicastro from Vemon told me that the chain pitch is the same as the HOR, so there's a good chance. Maybe I'll switch them out to check the compatability, but I definitely won't get a chance in the next week, as I have too many articles to work on already.

Lito

21. **Episode 7 of the 2 Wheel RC Podcast is up...** 
    Episode 7 of the 2 Wheel RC Podcast is up...
    Yes, it has been waaay too long, and I sincerely apologize to you guys who have been waiting with baited breath for more content. Well wait no more -- Episode 7: On the Road is up!

Segment 1 - All the new bikes hitting the market
    Segment 2 - AR Racing electric gyro and the Anderson M5
    Running time: 40:59

http://2wheelrcpodcast.com

If you have missed any of the previous episodes.. they are all available on the site and in iTunes
    He who KNOWS he's stupid is actually kinda smart

Hi all! I recently stumbled upon a new RC bike website that have just been introduced for several months. The format of interaction is quite different from the traditional forum format, it's really quite fun to play with! Currently, there doesn't seem to be many members since the site is still new. I don't believe there are any other sites specifically for rc bikes other than the sub-forum on rcgroups, so I hope for all you rc bike fans to join and check out the site so we can have a site just for rc bikes enthusiasts.

http://www.rc-bikes.com/